The Nuvi 3790

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

Derek2
GPS: Nuvi 3790

Re: The Nuvi 3790

#181 Post by Derek2 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:38 pm

cruiser wrote: Hi brudder Derek, you got PM... thanx in advance. :cheers:
Hi Cruiser, please check your PM inbox.

emaverick
GPS: Travel Companion RX5770, Garmin GPS12

The Nuvi 3790

#182 Post by emaverick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:13 am

I brought a Mabella 660+ during the SINTEX show in December 2010, after using it for a week i'm not please with the MAPKING software until last week decided to change it to NUVI 3790. I brought the unit from Sim Lim which cost me less then market price including accessories and warranty by Navicom.

It is very sleek piece of gadget like samsung Omia 7, test it out over weekend in M'sia, even the Singapore custom officer praise that it a nice GPS.

It's not a perfect GPS, still there are hip ups here and there. The voice command a bit retarded, don't understand our local english.
eg. ask for A&W in the fast food cat. and will ask you back is it KNW or BMW in returned.

The other hip up is their Multitouch Touch Screen. It is not sensitive enough at the lower part of the screen when you place it horizontally compare to my previous GPS. There no Calibration! Did send it down to Navicom and was advice by one of the SYT to be a little bit "rough..." and there is nothing they can do about it. Overall i'm still happy with the unit.

Lastly, did download the gmapsupp.img ver 5.06 (please covert to MSM.img if anyone is using the 3790), turn the system on and it works, will try it tomorrow.

cheers

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#183 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:35 am

emaverick wrote:I brought a Mabella 660+ during the SINTEX show in December 2010, after using it for a week i'm not please with the MAPKING software until last week decided to change it to NUVI 3790. I brought the unit from Sim Lim which cost me less then market price including accessories and warranty by Navicom.

It is very sleek piece of gadget like samsung Omia 7, test it out over weekend in M'sia, even the Singapore custom officer praise that it a nice GPS.

It's not a perfect GPS, still there are hip ups here and there. The voice command a bit retarded, don't understand our local english.
eg. ask for A&W in the fast food cat. and will ask you back is it KNW or BMW in returned.
2 issues here, 1. pronouncement of local lingo is hilarious as it has problem with Asian phonetics, 2. you cannot find A&W is because it is not in POI of map

The other hip up is their Multitouch Touch Screen. It is not sensitive enough at the lower part of the screen when you place it horizontally compare to my previous GPS. There no Calibration! Did send it down to Navicom and was advice by one of the SYT to be a little bit "rough..." and there is nothing they can do about it. Overall i'm still happy with the unit.
Try using it in Portrait mode. IMHO much better experience :thumbsup:

Lastly, did download the gmapsupp.img ver 5.06 (please covert to MSM.img if anyone is using the 3790), turn the system on and it works, will try it tomorrow.
More updated vs pre-installed maps :thumbsup:

cheers

Derek2

Map Confusion

#184 Post by Derek2 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:12 pm

My Nuvi 3790 is presently loaded with City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT 2010.30.

A check for map updates on the Garmin Singapore website under "myGarmin" revealed no map updates.

However, when I checked the map update under "Support", I am told that City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT 2010.40 is available for download.

During both occasions I signed in into my account and the website connected to my unit and checked for existing maps.

So, why the difference and should I install the new version? I am a bit confused here and do not want to mess around with the unit unnecessarily.

Any advice is very much welcomed.

**Please do not post a new thread when there is already an existing thread for 3790. Will merge this with the 3790 thread later on.** Redstorm

Derek2

Re: Map Confusion

#185 Post by Derek2 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Derek2 wrote:
**Please do not post a new thread when there is already an existing thread for 3790. Will merge this with the 3790 thread later on.** Redstorm
Sorry, Redstorm, entirely my fault. Pressed the wrong button, when I posted the message.

rohiza23
Tracker
GPS: besta gps-88 (mapking), nuvi 255w sg/my, nuvi 3790 sg/my

#186 Post by rohiza23 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:39 am

the unit must be register to the https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customer ... Home.faces within 60 days from purchases date for the warranty and new map update. u must download the garmin communicator and install to u'r computer. connect u'r nuvi go to garmin update and press the map that u want to update. follow the instruction, if u have register within 60 days u can see unlock botton if not i think u need to purchase it.
:tq:
:rokz:

Derek2

#187 Post by Derek2 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:28 am

rohiza23 wrote:the unit must be register to the https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customer ... Home.faces within 60 days from purchases date for the warranty and new map update. u must download the garmin communicator and install to u'r computer. connect u'r nuvi go to garmin update and press the map that u want to update. follow the instruction, if u have register within 60 days u can see unlock botton if not i think u need to purchase it.
Hi rosiza23, I have done all that, i.e. registering, garmin communicator and the whole lot. I am also aware of the 60 days issue.

However a routine check on "MyGarmin" revealed no map update, while under "Support-Map Update" I was able to download City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT 2010.40.

My question is why "MyGarmin" has no map update to offer when I can download an apparent map update from another part of the website. As mentioned before after signing in into my account my unit was properly checked by Garmin for existing maps, but I received different results.

I don't want to mess up my unit by installing a map which may not be appropriate.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#188 Post by SilverBeauty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:48 am

Derek2 wrote: Hi rosiza23, I have done all that, i.e. registering, garmin communicator and the whole lot. I am also aware of the 60 days issue.

However a routine check on "MyGarmin" revealed no map update, while under "Support-Map Update" I was able to download City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT 2010.40.

My question is why "MyGarmin" has no map update to offer when I can download an apparent map update from another part of the website. As mentioned before after signing in into my account my unit was properly checked by Garmin for existing maps, but I received different results.

I don't want to mess up my unit by installing a map which may not be appropriate.
Sometimes updates are not link or a technical glitch can cause this. Giving the benefit of doubt, when an update is posted, it should be the same map. As this is locked, you need to get an unlock code via the appropriate thread in their site.

Backup everything before attempting an update ( including hidden files ). You can always revert back to old one if anything goes wrong

bertman
GPS: 3790T, Eco-route HD, etrex HCx

#189 Post by bertman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:30 am

excezz wrote:Ecoroute only works with US firmwares and not SG/MY firmwares.

I have a US 1490T set with ecoroute HD and it works wonders. The only problem is that the Traffic feature is unusable(i'm from Sg) but well no big deal cause all i really want is a nav sys with all the cool gauges eg turbo gauge.

Hope this helps.
thanks excezz, I'm engaging Garmin now, and I knew about the compatibility, but I just couldn't help myself buying the ecoroute HD :|
all over the place....

starchild
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 3790

nuvi 3790t problem?

#190 Post by starchild » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:42 am

ok this isn't really abt MSM but more abt the GPS itself. i just got it today and i am having a problem with it. once i can solve that issue then i can start learning more abt MSM!

for some reason, i am not getting any satellite bars. i guess this is because my gps simulator is on. i searched around for it and apparently when u go tools>settings>system there should be gps simulator turn off or on option. however, i dont have that. i have a gps mode option, which has "normal", "GPS off" or "msas/waas" option (i dunno what that means). anyway, whien i click on normal and save it, then go back, it still goes back to "gps off". i don't know why and i cant figure it out! pls help!