The Nuvi 3790

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: The Nuvi 3790

#201 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:47 pm

Derek2 wrote:Questions to the experts:

I bought the Nuvi 3790T brand-new from a Singapore retailer. The unit was preloaded with
Citi Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT 2010.30
Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT 2010.30 and
3D Landmark Singapore & MalaysiaCN SGP/MAY NT,2010 3D

After I upgraded Malsingmaps NT 2010.30 to version 2010.40 through the Garmin Map Updater, the map 3D Landmark completely vanished from the unit.

Any explanation for this?

I hope you did a backup of all files prior to update.

From your backup files prior to upgrade, copy these files back into the /system directory

gmap3d.img

Remember
Rule One, BACKUP
Rule Two, Read rule One !

rohiza23
Tracker
GPS: besta gps-88 (mapking), nuvi 255w sg/my, nuvi 3790 sg/my

#202 Post by rohiza23 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:37 am

u can view the garmin installer by view it with winrar. in the mapdata folder it have gmap3D.img just copy this file to main or sd card of u'r nuvi.

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#203 Post by cruiser » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:01 am

After reading many of the posts related to the 3790, I am pleased to add as well my amazement on the profound cost-cutting and time saving accomplishment when the Eco-route is enabled.

I refer this feature that I use occasionally with my 1490TV unit. Its incredible and a real eyebrow raiser esp. when it takes me through alternative roads, backroads as well and cutting short the route which my TomTom normally should have anticipated... :shock:
So and fortunately, I can again enjoy this feature if and when I use my 3790 back in Europe which is where it only applies besides the USA.

Looking forward to test out between the TT 950 and the Nuvi 3790 when I am again in Spore & Thailand. :thumbsup:

I wonder among you guys, which mode have you found to be more receptive or responsive when you have it in portrait (vertical) and landscape (horizontal) mode? This has to do with the supposedly, sensitive touchscreen. :-k

What were your actual experience on both attempts and whether it matters when driving in certain areas or regions albeit in Malaysia or in Singapore?
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#204 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:04 am

cruiser wrote:After reading many of the posts related to the 3790, I am pleased to add as well my amazement on the profound cost-cutting and time saving accomplishment when the Eco-route is enabled.

I refer this feature that I use occasionally with my 1490TV unit. Its incredible and a real eyebrow raiser esp. when it takes me through alternative roads, backroads as well and cutting short the route which my TomTom normally should have anticipated... :shock:
So and fortunately, I can again enjoy this feature if and when I use my 3790 back in Europe which is where it only applies besides the USA.

Looking forward to test out between the TT 950 and the Nuvi 3790 when I am again in Spore & Thailand. :thumbsup:

I wonder among you guys, which mode have you found to be more receptive or responsive when you have it in portrait (vertical) and landscape (horizontal) mode? This has to do with the supposedly, sensitive touchscreen. :-k

What were your actual experience on both attempts and whether it matters when driving in certain areas or regions albeit in Malaysia or in Singapore?
Bro cruiser, I use it mostly in portrait mode as can view more real estate ahead. Screen responsive in both modes about the same. At times the screen responsiveness is a pain. What I find that it is slow to respond vs not responding at all .. :fire:

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#205 Post by cruiser » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Nüvi 3790 SG/MY. It features a 3D building and terrain view, voice-activated navigation, multi-touch glass display, lane info with junction view, hands-free calling compatibility and live traffic avoidance. Real-time traffic message channel depicts and identifies problems areas on its moving map display now only available in Singapore with NAVTEQ map. Optional GTM35 is required for nüvi 3790. Is preloaded with detailed maps from NAVTEQ and Malsingmaps, allowing you to travel between Singapore and Malaysia more conveniently. With photo navigation, you can download pictures from>>> Garmin Connect™ Photos and navigate to them.
Thanx for that input... perhaps it has to do with the density as well within Spore's build-up & congestion status ???

I am equally anxious to have a go with a portrait display. I'm still viewing several YouTube clips on the 3790T but found only a few :thumbsdown: and one that was yakking a good 16 over minutes was all in French... pffff :ko:

Anyway, tried to reach Garmin Techie Dept (USA) and while watching our news coverage on heavy slippery conditions in the USA, I was warned to expect at least 1/2 hour waiting for response from Techie dept.... must be due to many hazardous mishaps & stranded Garmin users on the road!!!

I don't think the 3790T has or include any weather displays does it? :rolleyes:

At least my TomTom950 Live with Google provides it while on the road too.... :thumbsup:
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#206 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:56 pm

cruiser wrote:
I don't think the 3790T has or include any weather displays does it? :rolleyes:

We don't need Nuvi to tell us that. Over here we only have 2 types of weather ... HOT and VERY HOT :lol:

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#207 Post by Zeus73 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:08 pm

I just send in my nuvi 3790 for repair. Some intermittent connection problem between the unit and cradle. As a result, there's is no sound from the speaker of the cradle.

Luckily yet to sell my old nuvi 765. :-'

cruiser
Elite
Elite

#208 Post by cruiser » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Zeus73 wrote:Luckily yet to sell my old nuvi 765. :-'

Brudder Zeus, you have "yet to" sell or you will sell soon /someday after all?

Has the constant removal been the likely cause of this malfunction and how often per day, week or month can you refer this routine to be so we can all take this into account in the course of current usage?

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#209 Post by Zeus73 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:56 pm

cruiser wrote:Brudder Zeus, you have "yet to" sell or you will sell soon /someday after all?

Has the constant removal been the likely cause of this malfunction and how often per day, week or month can you refer this routine to be so we can all take this into account in the course of current usage?
Well, was thinking of selling off the 765 since the 3790 is quite stable after the recent software update.

Mounting and dismounting of nuvi from cradle for around 2 times per day. The 765 went through the same treatment for 1 year and has survived. The 3790 is around 4 months old only. :thumbsdown:

cruiser
Elite
Elite

#210 Post by cruiser » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:44 pm

:thumbsup: TQ brudder Zeus for the disclosure.

I would rather save (perhaps as a collection) the stable 765 and have it updated with Lifetime fee for it can always serve well on other occasions.

My units undergo twice if not more mounting/dismounting per day whenever they are required whenever I hit the road.

Mine are again mounted back on their cradles inside my home once I'm back and stay charged as well and as you know, are just about ready on standby for any imminent updates through the PC as they are connected as well through the usb.

So far, I have only once experienced an unknown cause from my TomTom 910 home docking device but that was immediately resolved & the docking mount replaced after 2 weeks involving shipment with just one call made to TomTom despite the production of the model was then discontinued.

It was ordered straight from China (manufacturer of all TomToms) for my case and no charge rendered either. Thanks again for sharing your situation with us. :good: