The Nuvi 260

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

moeyHC
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C

Re: The Nuvi 260

#31 Post by moeyHC » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:54 pm

Bro tribeca,

We don't know what the GPS satellites can do... only the US military knows. But, we do know that our GPS is only a receiver. The US military can always " Dupe" your GPS if they wanted too. Afterall they own the system and who's to tell them they can't? This is part of the securities built to the system to protect themselves. They don't need a "Freak" to use a GPS to fly something to someone's home.... only exception is Santa... :mrgreen:

Well Garmin can always send a satellite up... but, it is not cheap... might as well keep their money in a bank...isn't it? How much are we willing to pay Garmin to download direct?..... :-# ... :$gone: :$gone: :$gone: always the problem.... cheers!
MSM Glossary/Index - viewtopic.php?p=57986#p57986

satelite393
GPS: GARMIN200

Re: nuvi 260 - routing stopped prematurely

#32 Post by satelite393 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:06 pm

lost satellites or finger problems!
watchthewaves wrote:Hi,

Anyone can help here?

I was travelling to a previously saved destination along Sembawang Road. When I turned onto Sembawang Rd, the routing suddenly stopped. No more purple line to show the route -- and of course no more voice instructions, turning instructions or distance to destination info. At first, I thought that I had made a mistake previously when I saved the destination (ie too early along the road). But then, when I approached the destination, the checkered flag was there at the correct place. The nuvi stopped routing about a couple of kms too early.

So why did the nuvi stop routing?

watchthewaves
GPS: nuvi 260

#33 Post by watchthewaves » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:03 pm

Not sure what you mean by finger problems. Destination was properly chosen (I did say that the checkered flag was correct, rt). The unit was already routing properly to the destination when it just stopped the routing without reaching the final destination. Anyway, if you had read on, you'll know that I already posted that the problem solved itself when I upgraded from the open Jun07 map to the current Feb08 map.

watchthewaves
GPS: nuvi 260

#34 Post by watchthewaves » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:46 am

tribeca wrote:Just something strange to report.
I was driving with my 260 on & it just suddenly when into
updating mode. Dialogue box came on the screen & state
its updating to the latest firmware !!
It when on for about less then a minute. Then state I now
hve the latest firmware.

I was not hooked up to anything, not even the ciggy plug.

Prior to this happening, a few days ago I did try to download
fr Garmin site for the latest firmware, but it says I already hve
the latest version.

Anyone had this happen b4 :shock:
Same thing happened to me this evening. It says GPS firmware (not the Garmin firmware), so it is possible that the satellite was sending something?

I didn't take note of my GPS firmware earlier, but it is now 2.50b.

Others with the nuvi 260 (or any 2xx series), what is your GPS SW version stated in your unit? Take note of it so that if you happen to have this happen to you, can check whether any change in version number. Would be interesting to see if there is a change in version number, and whether it is for all the 2xx series with the Bravo chipset only.
Last edited by watchthewaves on Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#35 Post by cruiser » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:31 am

tribeca wrote: OK another question, our gps is capable of receiving signals from the SATs right.
Wouldn't it be possible for the SATs to send signals to update/disrupt our gps ?
And if Garmin has its own BIRD up in the sky it can download stuff onto gps,
without having to plug into the net, right. Just "hantum" my 2 cents O:)

Theoretically YES, provided you have engaged it into the settings mode, thus allowing it to function as ordered/instructed by "above", takes two to agree simultaneously.

Having said that, we are now experiencing a new technique with TomTom MapSharing and exchanging as we drive along... so go figure how that became feasible? :-k \:D/

How to huntum when you are already feeling played about through yr unit... paiseh lah... I will panchan here ...heheh!!! :mrgreen:

Hotels & Lodgings ~ Cheaper Rentals ~ Invest in Resort Condos & Villas ~ Investment Tours ~ PayPal Calculator
Image ~ Tournaments << Black Mountain Golf & Realty >> Animation – Interested? Contact at this >> Email.
>> WiKi Smart move or >> WiKi Basics or >> WiKi on PDA + BT >>SpeedTest HERE<< Nuvi Tutorial ~ I use GlareStomper® Shades
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

tribeca
GPS: 255w/710/765W

#36 Post by tribeca » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:21 am

watchthewaves wrote:
tribeca wrote:Just something strange to report.
I was driving with my 260 on & it just suddenly when into
updating mode. Dialogue box came on the screen & state
its updating to the latest firmware !!
It when on for about less then a minute. Then state I now
hve the latest firmware.

I was not hooked up to anything, not even the ciggy plug.

Prior to this happening, a few days ago I did try to download
fr Garmin site for the latest firmware, but it says I already hve
the latest version.

Anyone had this happen b4 :shock:

Same thing happened to me this evening. It says GPS firmware (not the Garmin firmware), so it is possible that the satellite was sending something?

I didn't take note of my GPS firmware earlier, but it is now 2.50b.

Others with the nuvi 260 (or any 2xx series), what is your GPS SW version stated in your unit? Take note of it so that if you happen to have this happen to you, can check whether any change in version number. Would be interesting to see if there is a change in version number, and whether it is for all the 2xx series with the Bravo chipset only.

OK, Scottie we have another sighting of the 3rd kind :shock:
So, its not just my 260 acting up. Thinking back, I'm not very
sure it was Garmin or GPS but definite it was some sort of firmware
updating going on :-.

tribeca
GPS: 255w/710/765W

#37 Post by tribeca » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:26 am

cruiser wrote:
tribeca wrote: OK another question, our gps is capable of receiving signals from the SATs right.
Wouldn't it be possible for the SATs to send signals to update/disrupt our gps ?
And if Garmin has its own BIRD up in the sky it can download stuff onto gps,
without having to plug into the net, right. Just "hantum" my 2 cents O:)

Theoretically YES, provided you have engaged it into the settings mode, thus allowing it to function as ordered/instructed by "above", takes two to agree simultaneously.

Having said that, we are now experiencing a new technique with TomTom MapSharing and exchanging as we drive along... so go figure how that became feasible? :-k \:D/

How to huntum when you are already feeling played about through yr unit... paiseh lah... I will panchan here ...heheh!!! :mrgreen:

Thank you for panchaning me :wink:
It seems like my 260 don't even has a choice of setting.
The signals just swamp it.
But the Mapsharing & exchanging is a great leap forward,
means most up to date info on the go :thumbsup:

jackals
GPS: NUV 660

#38 Post by jackals » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:19 pm

hi, am helping my fren setup his set but found the TTS is working but of on POI, eg. speedcam & erp. the set just beep instead of saying" ERP....." . mine nuvi 660 will prompt "ERP in operation....

tks
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: iPhone 5, Nuvi 1250

#39 Post by tks » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:33 pm

jackals wrote:hi, am helping my fren setup his set but found the TTS is working but of on POI, eg. speedcam & erp. the set just beep instead of saying" ERP....." . mine nuvi 660 will prompt "ERP in operation....
I suppose your friend's set is supposed to come with TTS? If so, maybe check the voice.

As for speedcam, erp POI warning, I would have thought this depends also on TTS but the shop told me (but I am not sure) that this depends on whether your set has MP3 playback.

jackals
GPS: NUV 660

#40 Post by jackals » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:40 pm

yes, fren using 260. the TTS is working fine on navgation, juz that the POI not working.
tks wrote:
I suppose your friend's set is supposed to come with TTS? If so, maybe check the voice.

As for speedcam, erp POI warning, I would have thought this depends also on TTS but the shop told me (but I am not sure) that this depends on whether your set has MP3 playback.