The Nuvi 260

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

redshadow
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: Nokia N82+10X,,
Nuvi 350

Re: nuvi 260 - routing stopped prematurely

#11 Post by redshadow » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:22 pm

watchthewaves wrote:Hi,

Anyone can help here?

I was travelling to a previously saved destination along Sembawang Road. When I turned onto Sembawang Rd, the routing suddenly stopped. No more purple line to show the route -- and of course no more voice instructions, turning instructions or distance to destination info. At first, I thought that I had made a mistake previously when I saved the destination (ie too early along the road). But then, when I approached the destination, the checkered flag was there at the correct place. The nuvi stopped routing about a couple of kms too early.

So why did the nuvi stop routing?
simple cos you've lost the satalite
reception loc-in
Life Is Full Of Adventure

watchthewaves
GPS: nuvi 260

Sembawang Rd track not accurate - not just a nuvi 260 issue?

#12 Post by watchthewaves » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:27 am

Nope. Satellite reception is OK. After several more trips up and down Sembawang Rd, same thing happen at around the same spots. The "trouble" starts from around the junction of Yishun Ave 1 upwards. Still happening at around Chong Pang (Yishun Ave 5), but haven't determined how far up Sembawang Rd this occurs yet

Searched around a bit again in the forum and came across a couple of similar discussions, so I believe this is likely an issue of inaccurate tracking of the road. This is my guess: Viewing things from the perspective of a driver driving from north to south (ie towards the city), the track in the map is generally offset to the left of the actual road. Explains why, occasionally the unit anounces "recalculating", and if the road displayed is wide enough may also occasionally place me on the other side of the road (and try to get me to turn around). Then, when I am driving in the opposite direction (south to north), the offset will mean that the GPSr thinks I am on the left of the road. Since my destination is on the left of the road further up, it just gives up routing as it sees me as no longer on the road.

Anyone travelling along this stretch can verify whether your GPSr has these issues too?

Pity I don't have a tracking GPSr, if not can contribute a re-track. Best I can do is save waypoints every 30-50m and submit them. Would this be any use to the mapper?

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

Re: Sembawang Rd track not accurate - not just a nuvi 260 issue?

#13 Post by cruiser » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:40 am

watchthewaves wrote: Pity I don't have a tracking GPSr, if not can contribute a re-track. Best I can do is save waypoints every 30-50m and submit them. Would this be any use to the mapper?

Every bit of available data gathered is every inch covered ... never wasted or regarded useless... Jerome just can't be everywhere either. :prayer:

If you feel you can contribute more and is in the position to do so easily, you should try obtain a unit that tracks... it also adds to your pride accomplishing something many more thousands will find it useful and you hold that credit to yourself... WTG... the waves are watching too... :thumbsup:

Hotels & Lodgings ~ Cheaper Rentals ~ Invest in Resort Condos & Villas ~ Investment Tours ~ PayPal Calculator
Image ~ Tournaments << Black Mountain Golf & Realty >> Animation – Interested? Contact at this >> Email.
>> WiKi Smart move or >> WiKi Basics or >> WiKi on PDA + BT ~ Nuvi Tutorial ~ I use GlareStomper® Shades
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

watchthewaves

Re: Sembawang Rd track not accurate - not just a nuvi 260 issue

#14 Post by watchthewaves » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:18 am

Problem solved when I upgraded from the Jun 07 map to ver 2.20!! Works fine the last couple of times I drove up and down it!! :thumbsup:

=D> \:D/ :prayer: to whoever re-tracked Sembawang Rd. :D

BanBan
Qualified Mapper
GPS: 60CS, Unbranded MCX ext. antenna, Nuvi 1460, 2565.

#15 Post by BanBan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:42 am

watchthewaves wrote:Problem solved when I upgraded from the Jun 07 map to ver 2.20!! Works fine the last couple of times I drove up and down it!! :thumbsup:

=D> \:D/ :prayer: to whoever re-tracked Sembawang Rd. :D
So your experience provided evident that the well known phenomena has nothing to do with the accuracy of the tracking. On my GMXT, I have also tried setting it not to lock to road. But that also has no bearing on the error. At certain roads, the GMXT still put me on the other side of the 2CW and keep recalculating. The actual reason is still a mystery up to now.
"Aha! Papa got a new toy!" - BanBan (My 3 yr old daughter)

watchthewaves

#16 Post by watchthewaves » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:26 pm

BanBan wrote:So your experience provided evident that the well known phenomena has nothing to do with the accuracy of the tracking. On my GMXT, I have also tried setting it not to lock to road. But that also has no bearing on the error. At certain roads, the GMXT still put me on the other side of the 2CW and keep recalculating. The actual reason is still a mystery up to now.
By "mystery", I take it you mean that likely that Sembawang Rd was not retracked at all (because no one appeared to be giving any feedback on it earlier), and that the same track for it exists in the unlocked map as in the v2.20 map, so nobody understands why got problem in one and OK in the other?

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#17 Post by cruiser » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:01 pm

watchthewaves wrote: By "mystery", I take it you mean that likely that Sembawang Rd was not retracked at all (because no one appeared to be giving any feedback on it earlier), and that the same track for it exists in the unlocked map as in the v2.20 map, so nobody understands why got problem in one and OK in the other?
That's a VERY interesting "eye-raiser header" from your keen observation. :good:

Hotels & Lodgings ~ Cheaper Rentals ~ Invest in Resort Condos & Villas ~ Investment Tours ~ PayPal Calculator
Image ~ Tournaments << Black Mountain Golf & Realty >> Animation – Interested? Contact at this >> Email.
>> WiKi Smart move or >> WiKi Basics or >> WiKi on PDA + BT ~ Nuvi Tutorial ~ I use GlareStomper® Shades
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

TOKARA
GPS: Nil

Re: Is Nuvi 260 available?

#18 Post by TOKARA » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:25 pm

unclediy wrote:
Is Nuvi 260 available (here) ?
I don't think so. Nuvi 260 is more expensive :$gone: than the wide screen nuvi200W - because one has to pay for the preloaded maps [of either Europe or North America] and of coz it speaks road names - which r not really useful in this part of the world. Go for Nuvi260 only if it is going to be used in those locations.

I'm sure in Mal/Sing ppl r in favour of 200W for the price and better screen resolution [480x270 vs 320x240]. :mrgreen:

Rgds
Hi,

is it true that 200W has better resolution than 200? would i be right to say becos the screen is bigger, automatically the size of the resolution would have to be bigger as well to produce the same display quality of a 200?

TOKARA
GPS: Nil

Re: The Nuvi 260

#19 Post by TOKARA » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:29 pm

one more thing if i get a Nuv 260 and load it with malsing maps...would the voice still speak the streetnames? on basis that no SG/MY garmin maps installed.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: The Nuvi 260

#20 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:35 pm

Yes .. but take note that the pronunciation for local street names will sound funny :mrgreen: