The StreetPilot Series

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

dabiddo
GPS: Garmin Nuvi200

Re: StreetPilot Club

#21 Post by dabiddo » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:11 pm

Hi Guys, need some advise. Now in US for some business, saw the Streetpilot c330 at bestbuy going for US$230. I know this model is old and has the older GPS chipset, but I am now using it on a rented car and found it to be very user friendly and accurate.

My questions:
1. It definitely will work with Singapore maps downloaded from this site?
2. Is the price tag a steal? Not too sure how much it is selling in Singapore?

I know there are newer Garmin models, but I do not need anything more than navigatoin guidance. So please advise whether this will be a good buy.

Thanks a lot.

dabiddo
GPS: Garmin Nuvi200

advise on Garmin C330

#22 Post by dabiddo » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:09 am

hi, need some advise

now in US, saw Best Buy selling Garmin C330. I know it is a old model. My qn:

1. it is using a older GPS chipset. qn is, is it sensitive enough for use in highly urbanised Singapore? will i get more link loss as compared to the newer GPS rcv?

2. anyone can advise the price of this in Singapore?

3. I can jus load Singapore malsingmaps onto the SD and insert into C330 and it will work?

4. lastly, can someone points me to where i could find the prices of garmin gps sold in singapore.
thanks.

Bright1
GPS: Nuvi 300, C320

Re: advise on Garmin C330

#23 Post by Bright1 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:56 am

1. it is using a older GPS chipset. qn is, is it sensitive enough for use in highly urbanised Singapore? will i get more link loss as compared to the newer GPS rcv?

I'm using a C320 without problem at all in Singapore. In fact, it is sometimes faster than some of the Sirf III chip in aquiring satellite.
Also, I recommend the C320 rather than the C330. C320 uses a SD card but C330 has the US map in its onboard memory.
C320 is way cheaper and easier to use with Malsingmaps, as jus load Singapore malsingmaps onto the SD, insert and go.

2. anyone can advise the price of this in Singapore?

Not too sure if they are still selling them.

jim
GPS: nuvi

#24 Post by jim » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:02 am

brother, why buy 330 when u can get 580 for 350 us dollars,

rgds

jaguar
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi 310, 60CSx, 10x

#25 Post by jaguar » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:24 am

Bro Dabiddo,

I like this type of questions.... :) I had owned a few C320 and now going forward.... only Nuvi

My view.... go for the newer Nuvi series... it is just a few more $....

Why ?

1) In general, the Nuvi locks on faster...
2) Nuvi allows you to read and set coordinates . Not the C series.
3) Nuvi screen is more sunlight readable.
4) Nuvi got calculator. Can sing song and watch jpeg family foto in slide show format (while you concentrate on driving :mrgreen: )
5) I dont' know if Garmin still keep staff to write firmware upgrades for C3xx
6) Now... go get the best Nuvi you can find... (with a free USA map in there)
7) It is always (IMHO) cheaper buying in USA than in Singapore (of course, some vouch that UK is cheaper... :wink: )

:muak:
Look on the bright side ya? :muak:

rickoes
GPS: Streetpilot C550

Re: StreetPilot Club

#26 Post by rickoes » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:31 pm

dabiddo wrote:Hi Guys, need some advise. Now in US for some business, saw the Streetpilot c330 at bestbuy going for US$230. I know this model is old and has the older GPS chipset, but I am now using it on a rented car and found it to be very user friendly and accurate.

My questions:
1. It definitely will work with Singapore maps downloaded from this site?
2. Is the price tag a steal? Not too sure how much it is selling in Singapore?

I know there are newer Garmin models, but I do not need anything more than navigatoin guidance. So please advise whether this will be a good buy.

Thanks a lot.
Hi Dabiddo,
If posibble get streetpilot 5x series because it using newer IC chip. Streetpilot strickly for vehicle. If you need for walking along street as well, Nuvi series more appropriate.
1. C330 should be able supported by Malsingmaps.
2. Singapore - not sure whether still available or not. When I ask for C550 price they have left 1 pc only, they said this model not popular. Mostly Singaporean buy Nuvi series.
With USD$230, you can consider Nuvi 200. Basic GPS without TTS & Bluetooth.

rickoes
GPS: Streetpilot C550

#27 Post by rickoes » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:50 pm

jaguar wrote:Bro Dabiddo,

I like this type of questions.... :) I had owned a few C320 and now going forward.... only Nuvi

My view.... go for the newer Nuvi series... it is just a few more $....

Why ?

1) In general, the Nuvi locks on faster...
2) Nuvi allows you to read and set coordinates . Not the C series.
3) Nuvi screen is more sunlight readable.
4) Nuvi got calculator. Can sing song and watch jpeg family foto in slide show format (while you concentrate on driving :mrgreen: )
5) I dont' know if Garmin still keep staff to write firmware upgrades for C3xx
6) Now... go get the best Nuvi you can find... (with a free USA map in there)
7) It is always (IMHO) cheaper buying in USA than in Singapore (of course, some vouch that UK is cheaper... :wink: )

:muak:
Hi,
USA much cheaper but if price different not much better get local with local warranty. If not have to liase with factory for warranty. Very leceh..
My C550 recently got problem with charging. Can charge but battery level did not go to full. My C550 bought from USA. I decided to void the warranty by open up repair myself. Found connection between main pcb and back pcb using ribbon cable poor contact. Ribbon cable to hard for tiny pins to hold. Any hard impact might cause connection to loose. I manage to secure using hot glue... :ko:

jaguar
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi 310, 60CSx, 10x

#28 Post by jaguar » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:56 pm

Yo Bro Rickoes,

Yup. I got my first few C320s (for some of my friends) through the USA. 2 had problems after a while. I had another friend carry it back to the USA and they ask if I want money back or replacement unit..... so friendly. I asked for money back..because I used the new money to buy Nuvi here......

Yup, I agree with you to buy local if the price is not so significant. However, the local prices look attractive (with local warranty) now , especially when they do not sell you with any original Garmin maps packaged inside. However, when you buy in USA, they always put in a USA map (either in CD or in the internal memory). So, if you travel often to USA, it is still cheaper to buy in USA. However, for the majority of folks here who do not travel much.... I think it is ok to just buy locally without any maps (so you don't have to pay extra) and then download maps from here....

Cheers...... Oh.. what a rainy day today.... :cry:
Look on the bright side ya? :muak:

dennis2au
GPS: garmin c330

Street Pilot C330

#29 Post by dennis2au » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:22 am

Can someone advice or point to website with instructions on how load maps into the Garmin STreet pilot C330. I did copy the unlock files to a SD card under the Garmin directory but how do I get the unit to read it? thanks

redshadow
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: Nokia N82+10X,,
Nuvi 350

Re: Street Pilot C330

#30 Post by redshadow » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:34 am

Hi bro Dennis,,
If you want you can try read the wiki,, maybe its helps.
Life Is Full Of Adventure