The Nuvi 260W

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

wuga98
GPS: holux+agis

The Nuvi 260W

#1 Post by wuga98 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi all:

I am trying to get myself a garmin with a TTS, the i have gone to their website and found the lowest wnd that offers the TTS is the 260W model, i also assume this could also be the cheapest amongst the model that offer TTS, correct me if i am incorrect here. Thanks.

The other thing is that i have a agis map left over from my ppc days, can this be use on the nuvi? Pls advise. TIA.

:mrgreen:

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

Re: Nuvi 260W

#2 Post by bartmp8 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:40 pm

wuga98 wrote:Hi all:

I am trying to get myself a garmin with a TTS, the i have gone to their website and found the lowest wnd that offers the TTS is the 260W model, i also assume this could also be the cheapest amongst the model that offer TTS, correct me if i am incorrect here. Thanks.

The other thing is that i have a agis map left over from my ppc days, can this be use on the nuvi? Pls advise. TIA.

:mrgreen:
Bro wuga98,

Firstly, Nuvis only use Garmin maps so i don't think the Agis will load. W models Nuvis are widescreen and therefore
more expensive. Just had a quick look at the garmin website, it seems the 260 also have TTS and cheaper than the
260W.

Just playing the devil's advocate here: is the TTS really so important for you? Its nice I know but is it important
to have? Its ok when you are driving alone on long distance (its like having someone to talk to and keep you
awake) but if you have another person in the car, the Nuvi voice guidance can be a hindrance sometimes. Its
like having someone keep butting in on your conversation. Anyway, if you do go for TTS, I hope you get a local
voice pack otherwise some of our Asian street names gonna come out really funny.

cassy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin 76CS, Nuvi310, Ipag2210/BTGPS

#3 Post by cassy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:12 pm

bartmp8 wrote:
Just playing the devil's advocate here: is the TTS really so important for you? Its nice I know but is it important
to have? Its ok when you are driving alone on long distance (its like having someone to talk to and keep you
awake) but if you have another person in the car, the Nuvi voice guidance can be a hindrance sometimes. Its
like having someone keep butting in on your conversation. Anyway, if you do go for TTS, I hope you get a local
voice pack otherwise some of our Asian street names gonna come out really funny.
Just my 2 cents contribution. Yes TTS was very useful during my trip to Netherlands last year, using only the garmin world routable map on my nuvi310 (garmin euro map is too expensive for a short trip) I was able to reach my destination in waginengen without problem. The main advantage of the TTS (if u are driving in a new area), is u need only to concentrate on the road signages partularly at the turnoff. U do not need to look at the map for the turnoff name, tts will prompt u the name. This is very important when there are mutiple turnoffs ahead. If u have the extra cash, go for the tts model.

Cheers

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#4 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:17 pm

One point to note when using TTS over hear in Asia is the accuracy of the pronunciation of street names. Many users report humorous pronunciation. For English language it is not a problem but when dealing with road names in the english version of the asian language, this is where it has difficulty.

cassy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin 76CS, Nuvi310, Ipag2210/BTGPS

#5 Post by cassy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:38 pm

SilverBeauty wrote:One point to note when using TTS over hear in Asia is the accuracy of the pronunciation of street names. Many users report humorous pronunciation. For English language it is not a problem but when dealing with road names in the english version of the asian language, this is where it has difficulty.
Yes if u are are a local, the pronunciation sounds funny!, butcha if u are not, that's the way they do it! TTS is not very useful if u are a local as u would have known all the turnoffs, then left or right turn prompt would be enough. TTS is a very useful feature, if u don't require it just turn it off, ofcourse having paid a premium & not using could be a waste.

Cheers

styric69
GPS: None

#6 Post by styric69 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi,

What is the size of the internal memory of the 260W

Thanks

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#7 Post by cruiser » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:59 pm

Not much but may be slightly more than the 200 seeing it is a widescreen and I believe the CPU is 400MHz for the strong backlighting sustained. Can you not find it in yr Specification manual?

Upon looking up myself, I believe the withholding of that one detail is due to the fact that its now become less significant since the optional use of the SD card easily overrides that negligible concern...

Hotels & Lodgings ~ Cheaper Rentals ~ Invest in Resort Condos & Villas ~ Investment Tours ~ PayPal Calculator
Image ~ Tournaments << Black Mountain Golf & Realty >> Animation – Interested? Contact at this >> Email.
>> WiKi-2-Submit-4-Unlock Codes or >> WiKi Basics or >> WiKi on PDA + BT ~ Nuvi Tutorial ~ I use GlareStomper® Shades
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

JJ007
Regular
Regular
GPS: 60CSx, Nuvi 260W
Oregon 300

Re: The Nuvi 260W

#8 Post by JJ007 » Sat May 17, 2008 12:28 pm

not sure why I missed this post! before getting my 260W. After looking around Singapore and non offer good price, I decided to turn to internet and finally got mine at 299USD from Amazon. Shipment is simple, I had it sent to Vpost USA address (free within US), and Vpost sent it to Singapore. the Postage and GST is another 72SGD. So all in all I got it at around 485SGD (thanks to the strong SGD over USD)

It come with the simple basemap as most of us got. upgrade it myself to the slightly latest basemap for MobileXT (free from Garmin website), and it comes with US basemap (complete). The unit comes with 1.5GB of internal memory. As usual, the kiaso me compiled a 'big' 1.9GB gmapsupp.img of all maps i kept to the SD, the unit power up, but then I only get to see the basemap only, I think it is memory overloaded and 'siow liao'. Now I have a 2GB SD, with a gmapsupp.img of about 1.2GB in size, keeping Mysin and Borneo as gmapsupp.img in internal memory, as well as gmapprom.img (US, 900MB), gmapbmap.img (6GB), running without problem.

Going thru this hassle, the objective is to get myself a cheaper device with TTS :-. loaded MSM maps, 'GENERAL' experience is good, except pronunciation of local road names. for example 'toua peao' (Toa Payoh) :ko: and some of them I still yet to figure out :x

This weekend I will be heading north to Malaysia, expected the angmo lady inside my 260W to direct me to 'holland' :lol: stay tune

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#9 Post by cruiser » Sat May 17, 2008 6:12 pm

JJ007 wrote:
This weekend I will be heading north to Malaysia, expected the angmo lady inside my 260W to direct me to 'holland' :lol: stay tune

:mrgreen: I hope yr northerly trip runs smooth with Mat Salleh's guidance... and that you should look out carefully not to mistook atap thatchings for Holland village... though its very popular here in Holland for thatch roofings among the well-known residential elite homes... :-$
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

JJ007
Regular
Regular
GPS: 60CSx, Nuvi 260W
Oregon 300

#10 Post by JJ007 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:42 am

ha ha, indeed the angmo TTS (Daniel, Lee, Karen, whoever) direct me to noway, Batu Pahat become 'Bat Pah' (Brad Pitt?), Tmn (short form Taman) "term'? (cant hear clearly) ... at the end, I have to keep it simple switch back to simple text announcement (turn right at 100m...)

so my advise is that for those who just want to use the TTS locally (Mal-SIN), for the additional $$, it is not worth the extra, but in US/Europe, I believe it should be useful

btw, just checked Amazon, my 260W now drop to US 266.95, just 3 weeks ago I bought it at US299 ... :fire: