The Nuvi 750

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

jackling
GPS: GPS II+, GPS V, Quest, 76CSX, Holux BT module, Nuvi750

The Nuvi 750

#1 Post by jackling » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi,

I'll be in San Francisco for 10 days end of Feb. Was originally going to buy the US City Nav and install into my Quest. But after looking at Garmin's website, I'm tempted to use this trip as an excuse to upgrade to a Nuvi 750. (Trying to convince the Mrs that it's money well spent - not only do we get the US maps, we also get a bigger screen GPSr!!!).

Anyway, I've scanned through the forums and don't seem to find much mention of the Nuvi750. Anyone here using the 700 series with bad feedback?

(My Quest was the European version as I used it for work in France and The Netherlands.)
cheers,
jack

GPSII+ -> GPS V -> Quest, 76CSx, Holux BT module

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: Nuvi 750 - Good?

#2 Post by SilverBeauty » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:54 pm

Here is a link for a review of the 750

http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/014480.php

jackling
GPS: GPS II+, GPS V, Quest, 76CSX, Holux BT module, Nuvi750

Re: The Nuvi 750

#3 Post by jackling » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:52 pm

Thanks for the link - quite informational.

Actually I just saw the 2 threads on 770 and 760 - wonder why I didn't see that a few days ago? :-?

Cheers,
Jack
cheers,
jack

GPSII+ -> GPS V -> Quest, 76CSx, Holux BT module

tks
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: iPhone 5, Nuvi 1250

#4 Post by tks » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:53 pm

I think the 750 is a good choice and I am eyeing it too! Saw it on Amazon.com for US$384. Not sure how much it is retailed in the shops. I think the bluetooth in 760 would be cool and additional European maps in the 770 would be even cooler but I am not prepared to pay a couple hundred dollars more.

There is another good review here:
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/10/garm ... php?page=1

What I would like to establish are the following:-

1. For the new 200 series, there is an issue of the POIs not displaying in navigation mode. So, if you are on the road, the nearby POI names do not show. I wonder if this happens in the new 700 series too. It's bad for me.

2. I liked the fact that the 12V power cable plugs into the cradle rather than the device. But I noticed that the cable is no longer the USB connector type. Seems to be using data connector?

LonGGan
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 750

Broken Tracklog in Nuvi 750 (with Mapsource)

#5 Post by LonGGan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:27 am

Hi guys/gals,

After toying with my new unit intensively for 4 days, especially on the track log function, this is my disappointing report card:

v2.30 firmware
1. Start/Stop tracklog (in the hidden menu) will create a new folder within Garmin/Logs folder.
2. If you create (x) number of logs/folders, Mapsource will only download 2 tracklogs from the Nuvi. The first tracklog contain track information for the first (x-1) tracks you've recorded, all added together. The second tracklog contained the (x)th (last) tracklog you've recorded.
3. Let's say after the above, if you continue to drive around a few places WITHOUT switching on tracklogging, no tracklog folders will be created in Nuvi. However, the STRANGE part is that when you proceed to download tracks from Nuvi into Mapsource, it will download 2 tracklogs containing the next portion of your trip, which you DID NOT activate the track recording function. In other words, the 2 tracklogs which contain your travels in (1) and (2) can no longer be available in Mapsource for download.
4. You can still use nutrak to decode all the gps.bin in the Nuvi folders. However, you lose altitude information and some other information.
5. Clearing trip log information in "My Data" will render (3) unavailable. Mapsource will not be able to download ANY tracks unless you start/stop trip log OR start driving (without turning on trip recording) again.
6. From (5), it can be deduced that the actual tracklog (active) is being stored in the memory of the Nuvi and is the only track log that can be downloaded into Mapsource. The ones in the folder are basically archives that can only be read by nutrak, with information loss.
7. To start a new tracklog
(a) WITHOUT Stop/Start in the tracklog management screen
(b) Able to download into Mapsource as a NEW trip
The Nuvi must be switched off for a certain period of time. I've no idea how long is this period but I think it should be an hour or greater. I'll have to experiment more on this.

v2.60
1. Lose the ability to manage tracklog (Start/Stop/Play trip).
2. Improve satlocking time by tons.

Frankly, I'm disappointed about the beta stage of the tracklogging function. This feature is supposed to be ENABLED in Nuvi 7xx series, but it looked to be more in testing and unready than expected.

There are things I'd like to have before I think the tracklogging function is passable:
1. I don't want to use third-party tools to pull info manually off my nuvi i.e. nutrak. Mapsource should be the defacto.
2. Mapsource is able to download all tracks being recorded in the nuvi, without being kaypoh and aggregate the first to the last second tracklog.
3. Nuvi unit should have a function to offload the stored tracklogs into the SD card.
4. Start/Stop must be exactly that in tracklogging. I don't want my tracks to be recorded when I didn't activate the feature.

I hope the newer v2.70 firmware can bring back the management screen of tracklogs and also fixed all these bugs. [-o<

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

Re: Broken Tracklog in Nuvi 750 (with Mapsource)

#6 Post by Redstorm » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:37 am

Bro LonGGan, please do not create a new topic in this sub-forum unless it is not there. There is already an existing topic on the Nuvi 750 here. Please use it to post your queries. This topic is locked and will be merged with "The Nuvi 750" later on.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

LonGGan

#7 Post by LonGGan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:56 pm

Hi Redstorm,

Thanks for the reminder. :wink:

Further discoveries to the above-mentioned:

1. The hidden tracklog feature in Nuvi750 is suspected actually a "testing" version of ARCHIVING tracklogs in storage i.e. ROM of the Nuvi or the SD-card. The true tracklogging function is fully available but is unfortunately poorly documented.

After hours of experimenting, I think I can say for 90% certainty that the tracklog ACTUALLY works. The procedures to activate the tracklog is below:

1. Clear trip log in "My Data" => Clear the Nuvi of ALL trip logs.
2. Proceed to drive around as you wish.
3. Once you want to start a NEW tracklog, go to the Speedo screen and select "Reset Trip Data". A new track log can also be activated by selecting a new navigation route.
4. Repeat steps 2-3 for x number of times.
5. Using Mapsource, you'd be able to download x number of tracks.

The hidden tracklog feature is pretty much useless. Why?
1. It archives your tracklog onto Garmin/Logs folder, but it cannot be retrieved nor read by Mapsource.
2. Nutrak would be able to read them, but you'd lose data like altitude, etc.

There are still extras that I'd like to see this tracklog having, such as:
1. Offload its memory of tracks onto the SD card. This will eliminate the need for me to lug a laptop with Mapsource in driving trips in order to download from the Nuvi and make sure it did not hit the 10,000 point limit.
2. What actually happened when you hit 10,000 points? Garmin never explained.

Since the default tracklogging is better than the hidden tracklogging and I've means to archive the logs properly without using hidden tracklogging, it made sense to me to upgrade to v2.60. Yes, I lose the hidden tracklog function, but I've a better tracklog to fall back on anyway.

Happy tracking! :thumbsup:

623MRB1
Regular
Regular
GPS: nüvi 750

#8 Post by 623MRB1 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:37 pm

The default track logging is actually useless in my opinion. Yes it will show you where you have travelled and pretty much that's it. If you want to log untracked routes, you will not be able to do it as it gets locked on to the road. If you export the logged file to Mapsource, you will see garbage for the untracked routes.

The hidden tracklog function is still available in v2.60. Just activate the function before you upgrade from v2.30 to v2.60. This is the one that will perform tracking of untracked routes. You can refer to GpsPasSion for more details.

Happy tracking....

LonGGan

#9 Post by LonGGan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:11 am

Hi,

Beg to differ on some of your points.

1. The tracklog does track offroad. All you need to do is to turn the navigation mode to "Off Road", instead of the usual "Faster Time". I've tried it. Works like a charm. I even used it to track my 2.4km run, offroad. :wink:

2. Whether you turn on or off the hidden tracklog, you'll still be able to tracklog in the main unit, even after you upgrade to v2.60. Upgrading to v2.60 will kill the hidden tracklog function and along with it, the ability to archive your track data but I think I'd prefer the default tracklog function in Nuvi, which will always be enabled.

To avoid confusion, I've to clarify that the Nuvi750 have 2 tracklogging programs in it.

A. Hidden Tracklog
Able to archive logs in Garmin/Logs in Nuvi file system (not the SD-card) in .bin format, which is readable by Nutrak but not Mapsource. Some data is lost if you do it the Nutrak way. User can control i.e. start/stop the tracklogging manually by pressing on the speedo for 10secs to access the hidden menu. This hidden menu, available in v2.30, is removed if you upgrade to v2.60.

B. Default Triplog
This triplog is not stored in Garmin/Logs of Nuvi. However, you can access it by connecting the unit to Mapsource and downloading the triplog. No data is lost if you do it the Mapsource way. User can control i.e. start/stop the triplogging manually by means of "Resetting Trip Data" or "Clear trip log" available (not hidden) in the Nuvi. This capability is preserved whether you stay on v2.30 or v2.60.

Hope the info helps. O:)
623MRB1 wrote:The default track logging is actually useless in my opinion. Yes it will show you where you have travelled and pretty much that's it. If you want to log untracked routes, you will not be able to do it as it gets locked on to the road. If you export the logged file to Mapsource, you will see garbage for the untracked routes.

The hidden tracklog function is still available in v2.60. Just activate the function before you upgrade from v2.30 to v2.60. This is the one that will perform tracking of untracked routes. You can refer to GpsPasSion for more details.

Happy tracking....

623MRB1
Regular
Regular
GPS: nüvi 750

#10 Post by 623MRB1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:47 pm

For Off Road setting, what's the time interval that was captured during your 2.4 km run? Was it 1-sec interval? If it was 1-sec, then can you try capturing while driving and advise if you see 1-sec interval?

Contrary to what you said, by upgrading to v2.60 you can still keep the hidden track log function. There is a work around presented in GpsPasSion.

Using v2.60, I have attached the 2 tracks captured earlier while driving, using Off Road setting with the default track log and the hidden track log with the latter giving 1 sec interval. Personally I prefer the hidden track log as I do not need the altitude data. At the end of the day, you should be happy with whichever function that best suits your requirement.

Cheers....
Attachments
20080225_100144.gdb
(4.27 KiB) Downloaded 114 times