Garmin - General Discussion - Part 2

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

mokwm
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin 2+
Nuvi 200W

Re: Nuvi - General Discussion - Part 2

#91 Post by mokwm » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:37 pm

sentravip wrote:Yup, to reflect the signal lah of course... Nuvi ain't that vain, having to look at the mirror :lol:
You can do an experiment to try. :)
And update us on your results

watchthewaves
GPS: nuvi 260

Re: Satellite reception with unit facing up and down

#92 Post by watchthewaves » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:20 pm

mokwm wrote:Performed experiment with nuvi 200W at location that has clear view of the sky.
First picture shows satellite strength when unit is held horizontal with LCD screen facing up.
Second picture is at the same location but with LCD screen facing down.
Tried to use 3 fingers to block the signal, found that when fingers placed around the middle of unit, signals are the weakest. Guess the antenna is around the centre. So if you want better reception for your nuvis with internal antenna, during initial acquisition, you might want to put it LCD face down until it locks. :)
What about when it is used in its "normal" position - ie, standing upright? I think in normal use, there won't be any noticeable decrease in the unit's effectiveness. Been pretty satisfied with the performance thus far. Occasionally, in the urban canyon of Shenton Way, it thinks I am on a parallel road. I would think that that is more an issue of all the reflections off the buildings rather than the fact that it does not have a flip out antenna as it never lost reception. After all, your faceup and facedown test only shows a 1m difference in accuracy.

susuman
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200

Re: Simple solution for Nuvi on the new map 2.23 issues

#93 Post by susuman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:36 pm

Oh, nice batch files you created, thanks for sharing. This way it works for the MXT users, GREAT!!

My method only work for Nuvi's people like me, which do not need to use command prompt, just drag & drop and rename file name. :mrgreen:

And I am try to help as much as possible to contribute back to this forum as the map helps me so much!! =D>

kc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 12XL, 60C, HP iPAQ w GPSSlim236B, Nuvi 770

Re: Nuvi - General Discussion - Part 2

#94 Post by kc » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:51 pm

watchthewaves wrote:Alternatively, if you have sufficient memory space in the unit itself, might want to consider putting the files directly in the unit. Locations are like in the SD card. Maps go into the Garmin folder. POIs go into the POI subfolder in the Garmin folder.

I did a quick comparison with malsingmap (just SG and W M'sia) on an SD card and in the unit itself. From the SD card, it took 30sec from start to the Warning screen. In the unit itself, it took 25sec.

5sec might not seem like a lot, but it is still some savings (and it is over 16% faster).
As long as there is sufficient memory on the unit, you may want to consider this, but do remember to back up all data and files from the unit's memory first, in case of inadvertant corruption.

I am also not sure if some memory has to be left free for proper functioning of the unit. So don't fill right up to the rim!

mokwm
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin 2+
Nuvi 200W

#95 Post by mokwm » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:35 am

watchthewaves wrote:What about when it is used in its "normal" position - ie, standing upright? I think in normal use, there won't be any noticeable decrease in the unit's effectiveness. Been pretty satisfied with the performance thus far. Occasionally, in the urban canyon of Shenton Way, it thinks I am on a parallel road. I would think that that is more an issue of all the reflections off the buildings rather than the fact that it does not have a flip out antenna as it never lost reception. After all, your faceup and facedown test only shows a 1m difference in accuracy.
Well, my experiment just shows that if the satellite is on the "rear side" of the unit then it gets slightly better reception cos the antenna is behind and the printed circuit board will reduce the signal slightly when the satellite signal is coming from the "front" through the LCD.

I agree with you that normal operation might not give noticeable degradation. But during initial lock, the GPS needs 30 seconds to download the 50bps clock, ephermeris and almanac data from each satellite. 12.5minutes for complete almanac download. If you miss one bit of data, then have to do all over again. So during that time, you might want to give it the best reception possible.

Anyway you can only face down when during initial lock, otherwise how to view the screen ... ha ha :D

watchthewaves
GPS: nuvi 260

#96 Post by watchthewaves » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:06 am

mokwm wrote:I agree with you that normal operation might not give noticeable degradation. But during initial lock, the GPS needs 30 seconds to download the 50bps clock, ephermeris and almanac data from each satellite. 12.5minutes for complete almanac download. If you miss one bit of data, then have to do all over again. So during that time, you might want to give it the best reception possible.

Anyway you can only face down when during initial lock, otherwise how to view the screen ... ha ha :D
All the technical stuff flies over my head. What I do is this:
- When I bought the unit, left it stationary for half an hr to let it download whatever it needed to download (it was facing upwards but had full green bars anyway).
- In use, if I am not at the last position on the unit, I will use the set location function.
- In use, where possible, I will remain stationary till there is lock.
- In use, I tilt the screen down slightly to allow the back to face slightly upwards. The screen is still very readable.

If I understand you correctly, even while the unit is routing for me, it is still downloading data. What happens if download is incomplete? Does it mean that my unit will be less accurate or take longer to lock on next time?

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#97 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:38 am

watchthewaves wrote:
mokwm wrote:I agree with you that normal operation might not give noticeable degradation. But during initial lock, the GPS needs 30 seconds to download the 50bps clock, ephermeris and almanac data from each satellite. 12.5minutes for complete almanac download. If you miss one bit of data, then have to do all over again. So during that time, you might want to give it the best reception possible.

All the technical stuff flies over my head. What I do is this:
- When I bought the unit, left it stationary for half an hr to let it download whatever it needed to download (it was facing upwards but had full green bars anyway).
- In use, if I am not at the last position on the unit, I will use the set location function.
- In use, where possible, I will remain stationary till there is lock.
- In use, I tilt the screen down slightly to allow the back to face slightly upwards. The screen is still very readable.

If I understand you correctly, even while the unit is routing for me, it is still downloading data. What happens if download is incomplete? Does it mean that my unit will be less accurate or take longer to lock on next time?
Bro watchthe waves, please do not get yourself swamp by the technicalities. Just understand that the Global Navigation Satellite System utilizes a constellation of at least 24 orbit satellites that transmit precise microwave signals. We in Singapore are lucky that we are near the equator thus we can receive almost all the 24 satellites signals. For our GPS receiver to function, it needs a minimum of 4 satellites to do determine its location, speed, direction, and time. This process of locking onto signals is a continuous process and invincible to the user ( you ). Do not be concern which satellites your receiver locks onto as it could therotically lock on to all 24 but in reality it only needs 4 to perform its function.

Just make sure your receive has access to the sky, power it on and let your receiver do its job. Do not worry so much about the angles, blockages etc... you do not need the accuracy of a professional unit which will cost you an arm and a leg to buy :mrgreen:

SOSweet
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: Nuvi 200W, Omnia II + GMXT

#98 Post by SOSweet » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:05 am

SilverBeauty wrote: *snip* ....you do not need the accuracy of a professional unit which will cost you an arm and a leg to buy :mrgreen:
Bro SB, arm and leg also can't buy because the vendor only sell it to the nation's defence agency. As far as I know, all precision satellite navigation equipment exported need approval.
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercises & Good Deeds

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#99 Post by cruiser » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:05 pm

SOSweet wrote:
SilverBeauty wrote: *snip* ....you do not need the accuracy of a professional unit which will cost you an arm and a leg to buy :mrgreen:
Bro SB, arm and leg also can't buy because the vendor only sell it to the nation's defence agency. As far as I know, all precision satellite navigation equipment exported need approval.

Yah lah... all the heavy hardware is beyond the layman who is only satisfied and contented with his daily tng or CKT ordered... =P~

Like bro watch, all he needs to be concern with is adequate exposure to the skies with his GPS and how to be overly concerned when U R right by the Equator.... aiyaahhh... so fortunate!! We have here, sometimes, only 5 - 7 playing monkey tricks fleeing above us... but still, with a minimum four sats is all it takes and besides, even if all the sats are locked in, the exchange and speed of the "permitted" data reaching one's GPS is fluctuating back & forth... what is all the hype needed to keep track of each and every at this point...

Better watch and eat the served meal lah... while it s still hot.... :mrgreen:

Cheers to bro SB, Sweet and not to worry lah... bro Watch. :mrgreen:
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

chokchai
GPS: Buying Garmin Nuvi 760

Re: How to install map to Nuvi

#100 Post by chokchai » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:25 am

Hi, newbie here - so new I haven't yet got my Garmin!! A friend is coming from the UK in early April and bringing me a nuvi 760. Can't wait! I'm an English guy living and working in Bangkok for 17 years now. I will use the 760 much more frequently for Thailand than UK, with visits to Malaysia and Singapore quite regularly.

I've read about how to install extra maps on an SD card, but my question is this:
Can I 'swap' the location of the installed maps, in other words, can I move the UK maps to the SD card and put the Thailand map in internal memory instead?

Thanks for any help.
Graham