Garmin - General Discussion - Part 2

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

Re: Garmin - General Discussion - Part 2

#161 Post by cruiser » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:12 am

psp wrote:Me too, I am getting one soon, planning to hop into the tracking wagon. \:D/
Will join ya fellas too.... not this soon but someday soon... not sure how much it'll help but sounds challenging to get lost in the woods and maybe bump into some lost fairy angel (modern day Malaysian Pontianak)!!!... :mrgreen:

I just checked yesterday with my local Vendor and he's charging only 349 euros...(approx 750 Sing$), I wonder if that is the approx. price too by your side or its much cheaper there to buy this model?

Buy/Invest/Sell Real Estate ~ PayPal Calculator
Image ~ Driving Range added << Black Mountain Golf & Realty >> Animation – Interested? Contact at this >> Email.
>> WiKi Smart move or >> WiKi Basics or >> WiKi on PDA + BT >>SpeedTest HERE<< Nuvi Tutorial ~ I use GlareStomper® Shades >> SGP highlights
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

Re: Garmin - General Discussion - Part 2

#162 Post by cruiser » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:29 am

9W6VX wrote:Redstorm,

Regards my friend & did I read somewhere here that you are going to Sandakan? If you are make sure you text me the dates so that we can meet up.

:nehneh: :nehneh: :nehneh: :nehneh:

Yo... Brandon. Yes, I usually go there at least once a year. Since my wife is from Sdk, I have to go too otherwise my in-laws won't be happy. But, this year I haven't decide when. So, stay tuned. :mrgreen: Redstorm

And when R U both planning to swoop across to Europe again? You used to come by this way Bro Red, when is the Benelux in the "sights" and Brandon, let me know if plans are made as well... would be good to receive you guys and BH partners of course!!! :thumbsup:
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

gt4
Regular
Regular
GPS: NUVI200,200W,765T,Garmin CityNavigator,MSM,Jerome's map

Creating a vehicle of your own

#163 Post by gt4 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:09 pm

Found somthing interesting for GPS guru. Making ure own customize vehicle.

http://www.techmods.net/nuvi/

chuah
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200 + 76CX

Re: Creating a vehicle of your own

#164 Post by chuah » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:40 pm

Bro gt4

You try before? I have try and created but the result is no as good as garmin vehicle due to the base colour.

gt4
Regular
Regular

#165 Post by gt4 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:47 pm

I have tried but give up. Was trying to put my son photo as a vehicle but does not look good when i adjust his image to an angle.

gt4
Regular
Regular

#166 Post by gt4 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:19 pm

This guy manage to do it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

gt4
Regular
Regular

#167 Post by gt4 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:26 pm

This is even better. Look at the car sticker on the garmin. It is the same car as in the photo taken.

:good:

gt4
Regular
Regular

NUVI Service mode

#168 Post by gt4 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:58 pm

I read somewhere in this forum that someone here has problem with map error.

Found this information in another forum that might help to resolve the problem he is facing. Hope it helps.

=====================================================
nuvi has service mode (called PRE BOOT MODE) in which unit stays operable for some functions, such as firmware recovery.

To access this mode hold POWER and do not release it.

g7towin can access unit this mode and read/write some data (almanach, time, versions...)

Mapsource CAN NOT write maps in this mode, cause of nuvi limited capabilities. The main way to access maps - use USB Mass Storage Device Mode.

You can not revert firmware to older version using gupdate.gcd method.

Both files for service firmware 2.60 have right CRC and available to download.

Problems, that service firmware can solve:
1. After I put the world map as gmapsupp under /Garmin folder, the nuvi stocked on loading maps bar. Is there anybody now how to recover it? Now I even can not enter the USB storage mode.

Answer: You have to start your device to have disks. OK.
The main idea - to start the device and delete these gmapsupp.img wrong file. (or another "bad map" file img). How to do it if the unit does not start?

Let's use the updater, PRE-BOOT mode and some modified self-made service firmware.
http://e-trex.info/fw/nuvi/2xx/fw_nuvi2 ... isible.rar

Unpack this file and start the device in the pre-boot mode. (hold the POWER button until the LOADER message appears) Pay attention that PRE-BOOT mode string is not displayed by 2xx nuvi, but other version such as 3xx and 6xx display it.
Attach the device usb.
Run updater and select nuvi.
Click ok and proceed. Agree with updater if any additional messages appeared.
If LOADER appeared on the screen you may release POWER button and wait until unit flashed.

After success flashing unit restarts. (if you used WebUpdater before - gupdate.gcd needs to be deleted too! because of unit automatic firmware update after boot if this file exists, now it is no need in it, we will made it manually)
Now unit should boot! And there is only basemap shown (no gmapsupp, no gmapprom, gmapprom1 visible).
And now you can attach it as a Mass Storage Device and DELETE wrong gmapsupp (or whatever you need).
Then you need to make flash for usual firmware for unit. I prefer usual firmware loaded in PRE-BOOT mode, I hate gupdate.gcd :)

So, download the file
http://e-trex.info/fw/nuvi/2xx/fw_nuvi2xx_en_v260.rar
and use it as I described above.

Now your nuvi is fully operational and have no "bad maps".

2. After days passed my unit writed : SOFTWARE MISSING. How to recover it?

Answer: Use recovery method from the 1 question and the
http://e-trex.info/fw/nuvi/2xx/fw_nuvi2xx_en_v260.rar file.
It recovers your unit and gives access to disks. So, you can use WebUpdater or another manual method to upgrade software version then.

3. How can I revert to an older version of the firmware?
Answer: Use http://e-trex.info/fw/nuvi/2xx/fw_nuvi2xx_en_v260.rar file and then upgrade to the necessary version. It does not revert GPS Chipset Version, XLOADER version, BootBlock version. If your unit had older version XLOADER than 0.68 it will be upgraded to 0.68, and if BootBlock had older version than 2.90 it will be upgraded too. I can make original versions for then (such as appeared in original 2.60 unit), but I have no time for it, sorry.

Warninig! All your user data will be lost. Maps, files and unlocks should remain unchanged.

bkling
GPS: Garmin

Garmin 780 cheaper than Garmin 760..

#169 Post by bkling » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:23 pm

Got a message from my friend in NY that the garmin 780 is selling at promotion price at around US$430 and Garmin 760 at US442. How come like that? Is it 760 is better than 780..It makes me think hard to go for 780 instead of my original plan for 760. Check thru this forum, it seem to be not much mentioned about 780.. Any issue if I got this 780 model? Senior forumer, can advise and share your view?

Ling

bkling
GPS: Garmin

Re:Garmin 780 is cheaper than 760..

#170 Post by bkling » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:34 pm

Got a message from my friend in NY that the garmin 780 is selling at promotion price at around US$430 and Garmin 760 at US442. How come like that? Is it 760 is better than 780..It makes me think hard to go for 780 instead of my original plan for 760. Check thru this forum, it seem to be not much mentioned about 780.. Any issue if I got this 780 model? Senior forumer, can advise and share your view?

Ling