The Nuvi 255W

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

Locked
Message
Author
trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: 60CSx, 10X, Nuvi3597LMT, Kenwood DNX9170S
Location: SG
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W

#41 Post by trajet2b » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:51 am

red rooster you better check the specs properly as been forwarned by bro tks. Do not assume.

The difference between TTS and non TTS is, it will mention street names for TTS.

Eg.
Non TTS - In 500 meters turn left.
TTS - In 500 meters turn left into Orchard Road.

chewsiowming
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:27 pm
GPS: Garmin 255W
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W

#42 Post by chewsiowming » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:34 pm

Hi, i got an America set, understand 255W doesn't allow route planning, following happened several time to me.....
After entering a Destination name using "SPELL NAME".... two options appeared (a) Go to destination (b) Use as via point
, this doesn't happen all the time, not sure anything to do with the map loaded, anyone experienced this ???

futra
Regular
Regular
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:04 pm
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 205
"Piano-Black" Edition
Location: Alor Star, Kedah
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W

#43 Post by futra » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:30 pm

chewsiowming wrote:Hi, i got an America set, understand 255W doesn't allow route planning, following happened several time to me.....
After entering a Destination name using "SPELL NAME".... two options appeared (a) Go to destination (b) Use as via point
, this doesn't happen all the time, not sure anything to do with the map loaded, anyone experienced this ???
I think it happens when u've already set a destination and u're giving a new destination, which is why those two options occur. For example, u've set McD as your destination but u wanna go to ATM first.. so when u set for ATM, it will ask u to set that ATM as a new destination or still preserving the McD as the destination but it goes through the ATM firstly.
:: Garmin Nüvi 205 ::
Image

Clierister
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:55 pm
GPS: None
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W

#44 Post by Clierister » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:04 pm

I
think it happens when u've already set a destination and u're giving a new destination, which is why those two options occur. For example, u've set McD as your destination but u wanna go to ATM first.. so when u set for ATM, it will ask u to set that ATM as a new destination or still preserving the McD as the destination but it goes through the ATM firstly.
I think the explanation is accurate based on my experience. I've got an American set (255W) too. If one set the 2nd location WHEN the 1st destination is still active (i.e. routing in progress), the set will prompt whether to replace the current destination OR route via the new location to the original destination.

klguy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:57 am
GPS: Nuvi205W
DopodP100
Contact:

New Nuvi 255W versus Refurbished Nuvi 760

#45 Post by klguy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:22 am

Dear Sifus,

As these 2 models price are almsot the same in the market, may I ask which model would be your pick and why?

Thanking everyone in advance for thier anticipated repleies!

klguy
:thumbsup:
1st GPS Dopod P100
2nd GPS Nuvi 255W
Present GPS Nuvi 1350

User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4925
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: New Nuvi 255W versus Refurbished Nuvi 760

#46 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:00 am

klguy wrote:Dear Sifus,

As these 2 models price are almsot the same in the market, may I ask which model would be your pick and why?

Thanking everyone in advance for thier anticipated repleies!

klguy
:thumbsup:

Bro, go to Garmin website for a product comparison by features. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do? ... duct=10624

For the differences if same price, I will go for 760 for its higher resolution screen, bluetooth capability, Garmin locate feature, MP3, FM Tx ....

generaluser777
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:14 am
GPS: i have no GPS setup yet.
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W

#47 Post by generaluser777 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:05 am

Notice that one of the different between 255W and 265W is below speak street name feature.
Why it is indicated North America version only for 255W? Can share in details what it mean compare to 265WT?

nüvi® 255W
$ 299.99 USD
Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft.") : yes (North America version only)

nüvi® 265WT
$ 349.99 USD
Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft.") : Yes

User avatar
tks
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 710
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:01 pm
GPS: iPhone 5, Nuvi 1250
Location: East Coast, Singapore
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W

#48 Post by tks » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:51 am

generaluser777 wrote:Notice that one of the different between 255W and 265W is below speak street name feature.
Why it is indicated North America version only for 255W? Can share in details what it mean compare to 265WT?

nüvi® 255W
$ 299.99 USD
Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft.") : yes (North America version only)

nüvi® 265WT
$ 349.99 USD
Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft.") : Yes
Why for 255W, only NA version has TTS? -----> Ask Garmin

Comparison between 265WT and 255W -------> Actually, it is all listed on the Garmin website. Both similar but 265WT has Bluetooth and also I think the "T" stands for traffic. Read the specs.

User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4925
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W

#49 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:39 am

tks wrote:["generaluser777"]Notice that one of the different between 255W and 265W is below speak street name feature.
Why it is indicated North America version only for 255W? Can share in details what it mean compare to 265WT?

Why for 255W, only NA version has TTS? \

My guess is that this is because of the different languages across Europe and TTS will have difficulty pronouncing it right .. just like us in Asia .... also notice that units sold in UK has TTS because Engligh is the primary language there ... :-k

generaluser777
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:14 am
GPS: i have no GPS setup yet.
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W

#50 Post by generaluser777 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:32 am

Thanks SilverBeauty, previously bit confuse of the North America version, now understood. Thanks again.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests