Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:45 pm 

GPS: Etrex Vista C,
nüvi 360
Unlocking MSM maps is no longer possible in Mapsource 6.14.1, as Garmin has replaced the unlock wizard with a Map product Manager, which does not recognize the MSM maps it seems.

Anyway MS 6.14 is so slow that I downgraded again to 6.13.7

I was able to enter my 4 unlock codes (2 for my nuvi and 2 for my etrex) int Mapsource and it claims it unlocked my maps. But when transferring my maps (some MySIn tiles, some from Maps4Australia, some Worldmap) but the etrex cannot unlock the MySin map (I confirmed that it's the mysin map by tryng to send only that).

By lengthy search I found many pointers to many instructions, tools etc, all different from each other how to handle maps. Some tell me to use ezMS by Antyong, others GMapTool etc. None of the instructions seem to be comprehensive and complete., sigh

When I start ezMS, it shows me the installed maps, but when I click 'New' It prompts me to add new maps.
I gather this to be the numerically named .img files in each product's directory. The problem is: how to identify which tile is which?
Where do I enter unlock codes?
The generation of the new mapset also fails with an access violation at 0x0048A04F (tried to read from 0x00000000)
in cgpsmaper. Hmm.

And: how to I send the img file to the etrex? (no SD card).

All I want is to use my existing, free maps, my worldmap and the MySIN maps for both my etrex Vista C and my nuvi.

The instructions for using the Malsingmaps are very confusing, because they are all over the place in the forum, references point to each other often going in circles it seems etc). Is there not one place where all this is explained in easier terms?

sigh

Last edited by bartmp8 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Edited Topic Title.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:25 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

GPS: Handheld, PDA Based
I assume you have both Mapsource mapsets and GMAPSUPP.IMG files to combine (no Mapsource mapset available ie. MSM v2.15 free map). First of all, generate GMAPSUPP.IMG from selected Mapsource mapsets, and Send to Device. If you have a USB stick or card reader with a data card inserted, you may opt to transfer the maps to the external storage device (instead of device). Then you may merge the transfered GMAPSUPP.IMG with other GMAPSUPP.IMGs (renaming them differently is certainly a good idea).

For merging maps and sending them to your Vista C, I'd recommend using SendMap20. When you add an IMG file, the map's name(s) will be displayed. Any unwanted maps may also be removed individually. There's also an option to enter Unlock Codes. And finally these maps may be uploaded to your Vista C (make sure latest Garmin USB drivers are installed). Note: Some of commercial maps functionalities will be lost when using SendMap20 to transfer maps. The only way to avoid this, is to transfer the maps via Mapsource (if you have all proper Mapsource mapsets installed, this however excludes latest MSM which do not unlock in Mapsource).

For your Nuvi, I'd recommend using GMapTool to merge the maps (especially latest MSM maps with Address Search feature), and manually copy and paste it into \Garmin folder of Nuvi or data card. Note: For latest MSM, always use the installer to generate GMAPSUPP.IMG (do not use Mapsource to transfer map).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:03 pm 

nüvi 360
Thanks. Now I still need a way to identfy which of the hundreds *.img files in eg the worldmap is which tile.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:07 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

sejtam wrote:
Thanks. Now I still need a way to identfy which of the hundreds *.img files in eg the worldmap is which tile.

No need to identify manually, just select all needed maptiles in Mapsource and Send to Device using above tip.

Attachments:
world-basemap.gif
world-basemap.gif [ 45.9 KiB | Viewed 8680 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:47 pm 

nüvi 360
ah yes. load the free maps using Mapsource first, then use sendmap20 to sync and add the locked maps (after entering the unlock codes). got it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:59 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

sejtam wrote:
ah yes. load the free maps using Mapsource first, then use sendmap20 to sync and add the locked maps (after entering the unlock codes). got it

Before uploading to device, you need to enter unlock codes again in SendMap20. This step is not needed when using GMaptool.

Post subject: How to install Mapsource
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:19 pm 

GPS: Nuvi 200
Who may give me the guideline how to install Mapsource 6.14 version, cos it come out the error massage. Should i need to install previous version? Anyone can help in this?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:11 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Holux Slim 236 + Dopod 838pro (WM6); Garmin eTrex Vista HCx
lance_lim wrote:
Who may give me the guideline how to install Mapsource 6.14 version, cos it come out the error massage. Should i need to install previous version? Anyone can help in this?

Check this

and this

out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:42 pm 
Junior Mapper

GPS: 10x, Oregon 300, 255w(retire) 2575RLM
Get Mapsource , Unpack MapSource.exe using WinRAR, first run MAIN.msi than run Setup.exe.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:26 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Treo650+MobileXT+GPS10; VistaC; 60CSx-7units
tlchuan wrote:
Get Mapsource , Unpack MapSource.exe using WinRAR, first run MAIN.msi than run Setup.exe.

If installing from the Main.msi, make sure that you copy the installation files onto one of the hard drives of the PC first, not run it from an external drive. If you run it from an external drive, the main.msi may install the MapSource onto the external drive instead. Happened to me like that yesterday, TWICE!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next