General chat about GPS technology

Moderator: Moderators

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx, 10X, Nuvi3597LMT, Kenwood DNX9170S

Re: Looking for a good GPS system

#61 Post by trajet2b » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:53 pm

dericsbl wrote:thanks :tq: trajet2b......will check out ur suggestion.....hoping 2 buy my garmin next week =D> .....
take your time. dont rush. the best if you can pm or ask for help from Nuvi 205W owners near your area for a test.

taipan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nokia, iPhone, Garmin and up to 10 Hz NMEA driven. Lastest Nuvi 2565LM with GDR10.

#62 Post by taipan » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:23 pm

From data I had collected over the last few years, in general V-Kool is not GPS friendly. I do not know exactly which of V-Kool’s range of film are being used in Malaysia. In Singapore, they would use the X75 film for the front windscreen and the J85 for the front side window with an option to upgrade to all X75 for the front. Between these two films, the X75 is bad news for GPS while the J85 is not as bad for Gen 3 GPS sets. However, they both degrade GPS signal reception. If your Gen 3 set got a good sizeable antenna, you should be OK with the J85 film, but the antenna is like those used in the hand phones, forget it.

If you need to use and external antenna, take trajet2b’s advice seriously, avoid using the re-radiating one. Use an external antenna and connect it directly to your GPSr. You can get a external patch antenna from any of the GPS shop, they do not cost very much

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#63 Post by cruiser » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:47 am

I have currently two GPS ext. antennas, one from TomTom (5m long serving TT and Nuvi) and the other is the 20x (70cm long) from my recent purchase of the GMPC from Calgary, Canada. With the 20x, I have an extended usb cable (5m long) to help out. So far, without the need of a re rad, I have little cause to seek for better reception as these two had proven its strength and worth... even though I kept asking more info on enhancing or increasing stronger signals... I doubt any increase will truly alter the results. The current reception value had been measured, tested and proved adequate for our routine use which is basically to assist during travels in a vehicle.
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

FauSham
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi, Garmin Legend Cx

#64 Post by FauSham » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:25 pm

cruiser wrote:I have currently two GPS ext. antennas, one from TomTom (5m long serving TT and Nuvi) and the other is the 20x (70cm long) from my recent purchase of the GMPC from Calgary, Canada. With the 20x, I have an extended usb cable (5m long) to help out. So far, without the need of a re rad, I have little cause to seek for better reception as these two had proven its strength and worth... even though I kept asking more info on enhancing or increasing stronger signals... I doubt any increase will truly alter the results. The current reception value had been measured, tested and proved adequate for our routine use which is basically to assist during travels in a vehicle.
My lovest fren, Cruiser.... for me, 7" long is enought..... :finga: :thumbsup: :lol:
FauSham @ MalSingMaps
Haiyaa....kita talak sesat aneymorrr...

uniteen
GPS: None

#65 Post by uniteen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:24 pm

I contacted GPSBay regarding their 3303 model (http://www.gpsbay.com/index.php?p=products-item&id=728) and they told me that it runs R 12 software and WinCE 5.0. Is it possible to run 2 softwares in one device? I don't get it.

tlchuan
Junior Mapper
GPS: 10x, Oregon 300, 255w(retire) 2575RLM

#66 Post by tlchuan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:36 pm

R12 is the mapking version, Win CE 5.0 is the OS for your device just like windows
Ham Callsign = 9W2KDX
http://9w2kdx.blogspot.com/
Now In Subang Jaya

uniteen
GPS: None

#67 Post by uniteen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:16 pm

Anyway, here's their reply to me. Are there any issues using Malsingmaps with their device based on their reply given?

Dear Sir,

These are the answers to your questions,
1. For the entitlement is depends on the Citibank side, we'll only proceed as we receive the fax.
2. We're giving 2 maps of Malaysia, one is MapKing while the other is MalSing. MapKing is a company that hire professonal and equipped with the advance equipment for map tracking. As for MalSing is a community base, it's group from hobbist to upload their works on net and it's free for download, thus, the MalSing Map been refine by MapKing which will be more detail than other MalSing Map. For Map Updating, per update cost RM 60.00 and as for 1 year unlimited update cost RM 150.00
3. Model 3303 is run by R 12 software and WinCE 5.0.

Regards,

GPS BAY Customer Service

taipan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nokia, iPhone, Garmin and up to 10 Hz NMEA driven. Lastest Nuvi 2565LM with GDR10.

#68 Post by taipan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:45 pm

uniteen wrote:Anyway, here's their reply to me. Are there any issues using Malsingmaps with their device based on their reply given?

Dear Sir,

These are the answers to your questions,
1. ...
2. We're giving 2 maps of Malaysia, one is MapKing while the other is MalSing. MapKing is a company that hire professonal and equipped with the advance equipment for map tracking. As for MalSing is a community base, it's group from hobbist to upload their works on net and it's free for download, thus, the MalSing Map been refine by MapKing which will be more detail than other MalSing Map. For Map Updating, per update cost RM 60.00 and as for 1 year unlimited update cost RM 150.00
3. Model 3303 is run by R 12 software and WinCE 5.0.

Regards,

GPS BAY Customer Service
This fellow from GPS Bay Customer Service is talking through his/her ass. [-X For one, maps from Malsing are not his/hers to give. If they gave it as theirs, they are nothing more than common thieves. :waffen: Even if the Council of Malsingmaps gave them the permission to install our maps in their device, it is still not theirs to give.

I do not know "for a matter of fact" how Mapking produce their maps of Malaysia, however, in Singapore, they had an earlier version which I believe was derived from database provided by Tele-Atlas and in recent months, well a year plus, their Singapore map database comes from the Singapore land Authority, which they had paid a license fee. They certainly do not refine upon Malsingmaps to assemble their map for Singapore. In another word the database from their map and Malsingmaps comes from separate sources

With what they had written, I believe I am fully justified to advice you not to deal with such characters and waste your hard earned cash.

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#69 Post by cruiser » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:23 pm

taipan wrote:
With what they had written, I believe I am fully justified to advice you not to deal with such characters and waste your hard earned cash.

Hear, hear... Brudder Taipan :thumbsup:

Daylight renegades on other man's proprietary they chew and live on and nothing else worthy to note from them.... :thumbsdown:
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

FauSham
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi, Garmin Legend Cx

#70 Post by FauSham » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:11 pm

[-( I don't know why, community service map like MSM has been use by someone in MSM without permission?
All map in this MSM should not own by 'someone', HE can't do anyhting he want to MSM Map but should own by every trackers, every contributors and every mappers.
This MSM suppose to be free for contributors and can't be use in any device without permission from all contributor in MSM.
We should drive this community in real track and please, don't use this community TO GET MONEY.
Or.... this community service has been use and been build to create money? :( I'm so sad if true.....

:(
Last edited by FauSham on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FauSham @ MalSingMaps
Haiyaa....kita talak sesat aneymorrr...