The Nuvi 255W

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

jeffyen
GPS: GPSMap 60CSx
Forerunner 405
nuvi 255W

Re: The Nuvi 255W

#61 Post by jeffyen » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:12 am

Yup, this works for my 255W, just that there is no need to go to another menu after pressing the battery icon for a few seconds. The first screen will show the amount of battery left. There is no need to plug in the USB cable.

mankul
GPS: garmin nuvi 205w

#62 Post by mankul » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:40 pm

is there a difference in refresh rate between 255W and 755T?

the mac 13
GPS: Garmin nuVi 255W

#63 Post by the mac 13 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:14 pm

Hello,

Got a Garmin 255W today from TrendsMobile. After leaving the shop, I was able to navigate to one place. Was able to lock signal pretty fast, and like I said, was able to navigate.

After spending some time at the place of navigation, I switched on the device and couldn't lock the signal. Be it stationary, not very dense areas and even on the expressway. I managed to lock signal only when I was stationary for a very long time.

Is this normal? I just updated it's firmware and all, so I have yet to try it's new firmware. I was very tempted to actually return back to the store for a replacement, but I wanted to try a firware update first before doing anything.

TIA!

Update: I placed the device in my room, near the window which had a view of the clear sky and left it on for about 15 minutes or so before being able to lock the signal and started navigating. Is this normal? Using the default given maps.

mnd_43
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: 6210 Navigator

#64 Post by mnd_43 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:49 pm

its not normal ! better sent back your unit .... dont upgrade the firmware !
it takes only less than 2 minutes to lock on ....
:D ... de 9W2BPN

tks
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: iPhone 5, Nuvi 1250

#65 Post by tks » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:41 am

You need to use your device for a few more days before jumping to any conclusion. If you are near tall buildings (even if you are at a open window), below tall trees, or the cloud cover is heavy, all these will affect signal reception. Different versions of Nuvi from different regions also have different chipsets and their performance may vary. If you move before you get a lock, that will also affect the lock on time.

the mac 13
GPS: Garmin nuVi 255W

#66 Post by the mac 13 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:55 am

I once used the HTC TyTN II and had similar problems, only to discover I have been using it wrongly. Now I'm able to lock the signal pretty fast with the HTC TyTN II.

Now with the Nuvi, I did think that I was using it wrongly, but I reread the manul, followed the instructions from the TrendsMobile guy, still the same. I think I will wait for a few days, because I would be using it for some heavy navigation these few days to see how. :tq:

tks
Veteran
Veteran

#67 Post by tks » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:43 am

the mac 13, here's more suggestions for you:

All gps devices take some time to get a fix. The time taken depends on a number of factors.

Some are outside your control. The type of antenna. Internal is usually less sensitive. The type of chipset and firmware or technology. Newer chipsets with hotfix or similar are faster. Or maybe simply the product quality.

There are other factors within your control. You can try them to improve your fix speed.

1. If there is Assisted GPS or equivalent, you can enable it to greatly speed up acqusition time. (not applicable for Nuvi)
2. If you use your GPS all the time, and you always start off where you last left off not too long ago, it will be faster. The device will take much longer if the last time you used was days ago, and at a different place.
3. Getting a fix indoors, next to buildings, below trees or even under cloudy skies is a challenge. Always move to open ground if possible. In a car, put your device on dashboard below windscreen.
4. When trying to get a fix, don't start to move. Moving makes the job much more difficult.

the following are additional points which i think may help but am not sure.
5. Use external power like car charger. I think more power may be helpful
6. Use car mount or equivalent. I find holding it somehow is not as good.

try the above and report back!

easybird
GPS: Garmin 255W

#68 Post by easybird » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi all, I'm just wondering whether our 255W can be used to save a tracklog which could be useful to send to our region mapper. I read somewhere in this wiki "The recommended track log settings", that
* Taken with a SIRFIII GPSr
* Using an external antenna
* Interval = Time, 1 second
* Locked-On-Road=OFF
* Active Log tracks only (ie. the tracks are not saved to the GPSr)
I'm keen on contributing but at the same time, not sure whether 255W can be used for the tracklog purpose. I'm new on this 255W. My concern is if I can't use the tracklog saved on the GPSr, then any other alternative, that I need to do to contribute the tracklog?

tks
Veteran
Veteran

#69 Post by tks » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:26 pm

Instead of contributing tracks, you can also contribute POIs, error reports etc.

easybird
GPS: Garmin 255W

#70 Post by easybird » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:26 pm

tks wrote:Instead of contributing tracks, you can also contribute POIs, error reports etc.
tks
I'm thinking to contribute along with POI an error reports. Quite number of our areas here are still blanks. Any cheaper alternative beside getting the Garmin 7 series, or others model?