The Nuvi 255W

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

Re: The Nuvi 255W

#71 Post by bartmp8 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:55 pm

easybird wrote:
tks
I'm thinking to contribute along with POI an error reports. Quite number of our areas here are still blanks. Any cheaper alternative beside getting the Garmin 7 series, or others model?
Just in case you are thinking of using the Nuvi 7 series tracklogs feature for submitting tracks, you can't.
Gold standard tracks require 1 sec tracklog which the nuvi 7 series can't give. You'll have to look at a
Garmin handheld or if you have a newer Nokia phone, consider using Nokia sports tracker.

easybird
GPS: Garmin 255W

#72 Post by easybird » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:28 pm

Bart
Thks for the advice, mate

ralfale
GPS: Asus P750

#73 Post by ralfale » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:49 pm

Guys

I'm reading this thread with great interests. Regarding the "Text-to-Speech gives directions with real street names", does it work for our malsing map as well? Do we need to do any additional processing to make this work if we buy this 255w model?

tks
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: iPhone 5, Nuvi 1250

#74 Post by tks » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:19 pm

Yes, if your device supports TTS, it will pronounce local street names from MSM map. However, the prononciation is not good and sometimes hilarious. Some words like Telok Kurau it cannot pronounce, so it spells out the letters. Some like Kg Java becomes Kilogram Java.

By the way, only the NA model of 255W supports TTS. Confirm the model and TTS capability before you buy.

ralfale

#75 Post by ralfale » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:28 pm

tks wrote:Yes, if your device supports TTS, it will pronounce local street names from MSM map. However, the prononciation is not good and sometimes hilarious. Some words like Telok Kurau it cannot pronounce, so it spells out the letters. Some like Kg Java becomes Kilogram Java.

By the way, only the NA model of 255W supports TTS. Confirm the model and TTS capability before you buy.
That sounds amusing :mrgreen:
Anyway i'll give it a shot. Any recommended vendors here with competitive pricing?

tks
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: iPhone 5, Nuvi 1250

#76 Post by tks » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:46 pm

There is a thread somewhere in this forum listing the usual vendors. So far, I have bought from Perfect Watch and Allbright. No issue.

There are also several people who are selling Nuvis in the Trading Post section.

easybird
GPS: Garmin 255W

#77 Post by easybird » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:53 pm

tks wrote:Yes, if your device supports TTS, it will pronounce local street names from MSM map. However, the prononciation is not good and sometimes hilarious. Some words like Telok Kurau it cannot pronounce, so it spells out the letters. Some like Kg Java becomes Kilogram Java.

I bought my 255W from Australia (Made in Taiwan) and it support TTS. No setting need to be done, just copy the Malsing map over to the Garmin folder of the SD card and m ready to go. Agree that the pronounciation is funny at times.

ralfale

#78 Post by ralfale » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:23 pm

Great info. Thanks guys will check them out.

the mac 13
GPS: Garmin nuVi 255W

#79 Post by the mac 13 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi there,

Point 4 was the reason after all.

After 4 days of heavy navigation, the nuvi performed well. All I did was to sit in the car outdoors and wait for it to lock the signal then select POI and navigate. Signal locking was pretty fast. :tq:

One funny thing is that it actually pronounced PIE as pie(as in chicken pie) haha

Thanks once again. Am looking forward to contribute! :good:
tks wrote:the mac 13, here's more suggestions for you:

All gps devices take some time to get a fix. The time taken depends on a number of factors.

Some are outside your control. The type of antenna. Internal is usually less sensitive. The type of chipset and firmware or technology. Newer chipsets with hotfix or similar are faster. Or maybe simply the product quality.

There are other factors within your control. You can try them to improve your fix speed.

1. If there is Assisted GPS or equivalent, you can enable it to greatly speed up acqusition time. (not applicable for Nuvi)
2. If you use your GPS all the time, and you always start off where you last left off not too long ago, it will be faster. The device will take much longer if the last time you used was days ago, and at a different place.
3. Getting a fix indoors, next to buildings, below trees or even under cloudy skies is a challenge. Always move to open ground if possible. In a car, put your device on dashboard below windscreen.
4. When trying to get a fix, don't start to move. Moving makes the job much more difficult.

the following are additional points which i think may help but am not sure.
5. Use external power like car charger. I think more power may be helpful
6. Use car mount or equivalent. I find holding it somehow is not as good.

try the above and report back!

lIMlIM
GPS: using europe navteq and malsingmaps 2.30gold

Re: The Nuvi 205W and 255TW

#80 Post by lIMlIM » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:11 pm

nuvi 255tw does exist, but it didnt show in garmin website. it is same like nuvi 205w but with additional traffic info device(depend on service provider in our country). i saw and tested on the actual model from my seller it come with uk map only. and the price is the same as 205 model. :lol: :lol: