Newbie Guide Part 1

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

michaelkoh
GPS: HP 6515/Garmin Nuvi610/Malsin format

Newbie Guide Part 1

#1 Post by michaelkoh » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:46 am

This is my understanding of the forum layout and management as a newbie. Please correct me if I am wrong. I hope this reading will help future newbie to understand this forum better and act as a "map".

At the main board index. You will see 5 main sections. Links, General, Downloads and Uploads, Maps and POIs discussion and GPS discussions.

The Links section is not a discussion forum…..it is just a link to other places where you can download free maps or maps which require you to contribute something before you can use.

For newbie….let me explain what type of files or maps you can download.

At the download page, http://www.malsingmaps.com/portal/downloads.php you will see maps for Garmin device and mapking. So much for the obvious…..but why are there Open and Locked files? Well the Open files are for everyone. If this is your first time, just download "All-in-one GMAPSUPP", extract the map (.img) and copy them to your device. You realised that these maps are dated as of June. Yeah..too bad….live with it. The Locked maps are updated but only available to those who contribute… I will come to the part on what and how to contribute later. Meanwhile enjoy the June dated maps.

If you are a Mapking user, download the MalSing-SG for WM PDA (WM=Windows Mobile, PDA=if you don’t know what is PDA…chances are you should not download this file…), MalSing-WMAL (West malaysia), MALSing-EMAL (East Malaysia). After you extract the files…you have to rename them to .m7a extension and copy them to your PDA.

Ok now..I hope you are just as excited as I am typing this synopsis. Let me explain further on the rest of the section.

You will see the Announcement section keep appearing at the top of the forum at every sub forum. Try to ignore this.

General Section. The moderators have displayed the description of each folder…but, in my opinion and almost everyone I know who got hopelessly lost in this forum, they can use a little more explaining.

Community: Where issues regarding Malsingmaps such as site bugs, events, etc are discussed - edited by Antyong.
Newbie Lounge : This is where I hope you can find this reading. This is where the lost meet the lost.
General Chat: Same as the Community…blah blah blah.
Hobbies: This is where you find people of the same hobbies….
Kopitiam : Same as General chat and Community…blah blah blah
Trading Post: This is where you can buy or sell or trade with each other. Good to get some good bargain.
Vendor's Corner: For shops to post their stuff with huge discounts…I hope.
My Roadtrips: For you to show off your photography skills….and share interesting points of interests..like resorts… beach lodge…etc

Downloads and Uploads.
Official Malsing Maps : This is pretty much the same as the download link. You can download maps from either link. I prefer this link.
Member's maps : This is suppose to be the place where you can share your own created routes or maps.
Tools and Utilities : Not much in there now…..
My Uploads: If you have a file which contains POI, maps, route, tracks….you can upload the files here… If you only want to share POI….this is not the place. In this subforum, you will see many threads organised according to the location and regions and also the moderator in charge of that map.

Maps and POI Discussions. This is where you can post your feed backs or contributions to the forum.

Let me detour here for a while to explain how you can get locked maps. Detail discussions on how to contribute can be found here...viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1345
You are required to contribute by posting errors that you can find on the map…missing U-turn, wrong routes..etc. You can also post POIs that are not found on the map. Some may ask….if I don’t have the latest map…how do I know if my POI is already in the locked map or not…..your answer is here - edited by Antyong

Garmin Maps: Enter here if you are using garmin.
Mapking maps : Enter here if you are using mapking
Community POI : This is where you post POI which is of interest to everyone….like speed cams...
DIY mapping: This is where you can post questions on how to DIY your own map.

GPS Discussions: This is where you like to ask about your GPS devises. Enter into the respective subforum.

To Antyong, visit http://www.suvec.org. Simple and clear.
Last edited by bartmp8 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to include [Part 1]

antyong
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Garmin LegendC
Nokia E65 + Mobile10x

Re: Newbie Guide

#2 Post by antyong » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:50 pm

Thanks. I'll sticky your post at the newbie forum. Let's see whether newbies are still confused......

p.s. Thanks for the link. Lazy to answer all the registration questions.
A new beginning.....

michaelkoh

#3 Post by michaelkoh » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:04 pm

antyong wrote:Thanks. I'll sticky your post at the newbie forum. Let's see whether newbies are still confused......

p.s. Thanks for the link. Lazy to answer all the registration questions.

Hi...This is actually a great forum for sharing to enhance the map. Even commercial map providers dont have this. However, you have too much information on 1 page...and they tend to repeat ( eg. announcement links) and you need to remove outdated postings... some of the subforum are informational.... should lock the thread so noone can post reply. Some of the sub forum are not neccessary and might create confusion....like community, chats, kopitiam.... just keep 1.

These are my 2cts worth of opinion. I have quite a few users here which is from my car forum, I have checked with them and they all say that malsing forum is too complicated and difficult to navigate for newbies. 2 of them are trackers and owned a 60SCX..(for off-road) and they are confused as to how to upload their tracklog. This forum took me a couple of days reading and reading and digging before I start to understand the layout of this forum. I guess the seniors here are already so used to the format that they lost the perspective as a new user. I am sure others can also comment.

antyong
Councillor
Councillor
Nokia E65 + Mobile10x

#4 Post by antyong » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:44 pm

The community forum is NOT for you to blah blah blah. A few misplaced topics that the moderators had missed does not make it a casual chat forum. You have assume wrongly dispite your careful reading. Anyway, the the community, general chat and kopitiam forum does not contain infomation related to maps. Removing them altogether will not help those who don't explore the whole forum.

You have asked newbies to IGNORE the announcements posts where most of the information regarding maps and contributions are summarised. Are you sure this is the right advice? Who is going to answer the next "How do I contribute?" question? If you have bothered to read these announcements, one of them specifically guide potential contributors to the right subforum to post their contribution.

This is not a criticism but a demonstration that there are many ways to disseminate information but none of them is perfect. Admitedly, the site is daunting to newbies and initiatives like yours to write guides to help other newbies are much appreciated.

Also, please tell whoever in your car forum that they just need to post a reasonable question here if they are stuck and most likely there will be other members who are willing to assist them. That's what the newbie forum is for.

p.s. I will be removing your former comments at the unlocking Q&A thread to reduce "complexity".
A new beginning.....

antyong
Councillor
Councillor
Nokia E65 + Mobile10x

#5 Post by antyong » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:20 pm

if I don’t have the latest map…how do I know if my POI is already in the locked map or not…..chicken and egg situation. Hmmm. Anyway….
Perhaps you can tell me how to make my post below clearer ](*,)

viewtopic.php?p=12680&f=3#p12680
antyong wrote:Contributing base on the latest maps
An unlock code is posted together with the latest GM-Mysin and latest GM-Borneo Mapsource mapsets installers. This unlock code can only unlock your Mapsource but not your GPSr. Use the lastest mapsets to check whether your intended contributions have been updated.

From October 2007 onwards, mappers will not accept obsolete contributions.
A new beginning.....

explorerV
GPS: Garmin NUVI 200 + Garmin GPSMAP CX60

#6 Post by explorerV » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:31 pm

Antyong, how freq the map will be updated? so that we know those contribution is not obsolete.

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#7 Post by dvpro » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:18 pm

explorerV wrote:Antyong, how freq the map will be updated? so that we know those contribution is not obsolete.
antyong wrote:Contributing base on the latest maps
An unlock code is posted together with the latest GM-Mysin and latest GM-Borneo Mapsource mapsets installers. This unlock code can only unlock your Mapsource but not your GPSr. Use the lastest mapsets to check whether your intended contributions have been updated.

From October 2007 onwards, mappers will not accept obsolete contributions.
Didn't you read Antyong's post above? You no longer have to use the old unlocked maps to verify your contribution in Mapsource. YES, you can use the latest locked maps but the unlock codes that come with the maps can only unlock the maps in Mapsource, not your GPSr.

To make things easier, here're the links to the maps:
GM-MySin Installer v2.09 with Mapsource Unlock Code
GM-Borneo Installer 2.09 with Mapsource Unlock Code
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

michaelkoh

#8 Post by michaelkoh » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:30 am

antyong wrote:The community forum is NOT for you to blah blah blah. A few misplaced topics that the moderators had missed does not make it a casual chat forum. You have assume wrongly dispite your careful reading. Anyway, the the community, general chat and kopitiam forum does not contain infomation related to maps. Removing them altogether will not help those who don't explore the whole forum.
Like I said...this is the impression of a newbie. How do you differentiate whether the topic is under community, general chat or kopitiam? A chat is a chat. Unless this subforums are moderated properly....otherwise....they are read the same.
antyong wrote:
You have asked newbies to IGNORE the announcements posts where most of the information regarding maps and contributions are summarised. Are you sure this is the right advice? Who is going to answer the next "How do I contribute?" question? If you have bothered to read these announcements, one of them specifically guide potential contributors to the right subforum to post their contribution.
Put all the important announcement in ONE place.... having them appearing in every page doesn't make them more visible....it will further confuse everyone.

[

Noted. Thank you for your comment... unless this forum is meant for the selected few or for the savys' I feel it should have a more simpler and friendlier look. I dare say I have spoken the thoughts of most newbies. We are in no position to challenge the decision to lock the maps...but as you have put it across....if these maps are effort of the members and contributors...dont they all have a say on how these maps are shared? At least, make this forum a easier place for us to get information quicker.

Thank you for allowing me to feedback.

jaguar
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi 310, 60CSx, 10x

#9 Post by jaguar » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:48 pm

michaelkoh wrote:
Noted. Thank you for your comment... unless this forum is meant for the selected few or for the savys' I feel it should have a more simpler and friendlier look. I dare say I have spoken the thoughts of most newbies. We are in no position to challenge the decision to lock the maps...but as you have put it across....if these maps are effort of the members and contributors...dont they all have a say on how these maps are shared? At least, make this forum a easier place for us to get information quicker.

Thank you for allowing me to feedback.
Bro MichaelKoh,

I am OK for recommendation to help make the info more friendly for newbies. Just continue to recommend ya ? We also try to give our views on why we think 'it is ok and no need to modify'... but sometimes, we know we also need to change with the reader recommendations....

Actually, most of the mappers like to work on technical matters like interpreting the POI, track contributions (either collected by themselves or via everyone) and then spend time to draw, edit and massage them into useful maps for all to use. Trust me, the massaging work is hard work. Honestly, nobody likes to do more admin work than necessary , but those damm reverse engineers and secret map sellers forced us this way.

Anyway, back to your subject matter. If you have a chance to look back at Y2005 forums and wiki, they were meant more for gps hobbyists than for the general newbie. Some folks like Antyong,Sabre23t, Ace, and many other jokers decided to spend time in Y2006 to start cleaning or tidying up the forums to keep a balance between hobbyists and the less technical newbies. So, today, you actually see a much more organised version .... and some newbies will always be non-tech newbies, who can't even understand what is zip file... (.. don't feel bad ya ?).

All said and done, I still welcome more recommendations from anyone so as to make the info as friendly as posssible without me going down to teach people window basics like "how to creat a folder huh ?" ... Then, I will find time (in between my work and other hobbies) to help tidy it up piece by piece.....

Cheers... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Look on the bright side ya? :muak:

michaelkoh

#10 Post by michaelkoh » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:31 pm

jaguar wrote: Bro MichaelKoh,

I am OK for recommendation to help make the info more friendly for newbies. Just continue to recommend ya ? We also try to give our views on why we think 'it is ok and no need to modify'... but sometimes, we know we also need to change with the reader recommendations....

Actually, most of the mappers like to work on technical matters like interpreting the POI, track contributions (either collected by themselves or via everyone) and then spend time to draw, edit and massage them into useful maps for all to use. Trust me, the massaging work is hard work. Honestly, nobody likes to do more admin work than necessary , but those damm reverse engineers and secret map sellers forced us this way.

Anyway, back to your subject matter. If you have a chance to look back at Y2005 forums and wiki, they were meant more for gps hobbyists than for the general newbie. Some folks like Antyong,Sabre23t, Ace, and many other jokers decided to spend time in Y2006 to start cleaning or tidying up the forums to keep a balance between hobbyists and the less technical newbies. So, today, you actually see a much more organised version .... and some newbies will always be non-tech newbies, who can't even understand what is zip file... (.. don't feel bad ya ?).

All said and done, I still welcome more recommendations from anyone so as to make the info as friendly as posssible without me going down to teach people window basics like "how to creat a folder huh ?" ... Then, I will find time (in between my work and other hobbies) to help tidy it up piece by piece.....

Cheers... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Yep...I remembered the 1st time I visited malsing forum when i got my HP with mapking... I didn't last more than 1 hr....hahahah

I met some of you guys at Kallang McDonald....and I am quite impressed with the GPS knowledge and the passion to edit and make maps without any return!!! Keep the good work. I hope I can contribute more. Hope you guys will conduct practical sessions.