Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: GPS screen broke
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:22 pm 

GPS: Smart2Go
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: My new NUVI fail to ON.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:44 pm 

GPS: HOLUX1200 + Dopod838pro
Hi,

I have just bought a NUVI and it works perfectly BUT whenever I am in the car, and try to charge it, it is charging but cannot be switched ON for my navigation. It looks like it is connected to the computer.

May I know is there any setting that need to be done to enable me to do the navigation while charging using car charger?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:55 pm 
Site Owner
Site Owner

GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S
Most likely you are using the wrong DC cable which cause your unit to go to USB mode.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:55 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
q14037 wrote:
Hi,

I have just bought a NUVI and it works perfectly BUT whenever I am in the car, and try to charge it, it is charging but cannot be switched ON for my navigation. It looks like it is connected to the computer.

May I know is there any setting that need to be done to enable me to do the navigation while charging using car charger?

Thanks

Hi Bro q14037, from your symptoms reported, you are not using "original" Garmin charger, thus the reason for the Nuvi going into "data Mode". Garmin original charger has some wiring differences vs a compatible one. You will need to invest into an original charger or modify your current one.

Link : viewtopic.php?p=62462#p62462

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:59 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

GPS: Handheld, PDA Based
Or follow Bro Silver's tip on how to use a generic charger to charge and use Nuvi at the same time: viewtopic.php?p=149107#p149107

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:37 pm 

GPS: Nuvi 255
Newbie here, I have this problem 2 day ago and unit cannot power up. As it is newly bought I can have a one for one exhange. From the shop salesman, I informed that using laptop USB cable to charge as mentioned in manual. .. ater few on/off , the power have no respones. Finally I have a power AC cable is better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:58 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550
fanfreddy wrote:
Newbie here, I have this problem 2 day ago and unit cannot power up. As it is newly bought I can have a one for one exhange. From the shop salesman, I informed that using laptop USB cable to charge as mentioned in manual. .. ater few on/off , the power have no respones. Finally I have a power AC cable is better.

Hmm... I don't have problem charging using my PC... But I'm using a special USB cable... Basically the cable used 2 USB ports from PC and 1 mini connector connected to the nuvi... Per USB port is 500mA, so I'm charging at 1A... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:58 pm 

GPS: Nuvi 200W
What is the easiest (and safest) method to transfer POIs I have saved in my Nuvi 200W in a new unit, should I decide to switch, without deleting any data already in the new unit??

Thanks.

Jacques

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:08 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C
The Nuvi uses the USB +5V supply to charge and by the USB standard it will provide at least 500mA (0.5 Ampere) of charging current. This is sufficient to charge the Nuvi. The real reason why your Nuvi went into the data mode (computer mode) is the Product ID pin of the mini USB connector is not configure for the Nuvi. There are two possible configurations. The original Nuvi car charge has a 17.3K Ohms resistor from Pin x to Ground (Pin 5). This according to some Internet sources would allow the Nuvi to draw 1 Amp for charging. The other configuration is what I have done to my home modified generic charger/cable where Pin X is directly connected to Ground (pin 5). This configuration will set the current to 500mA. You can verify this by going to the diagnostic screen for battery charging where it states the 500mA ILimit. The mini USB connector is molded and to change its configuration you have to 'tear it up' and re-wire Pin X. Why do all this when the original works... money.... :mrgreen:

How do you get into charge and navigation mode with a generic charger in the car without any modification? Here is the procedure:-

- Plug in your charger to the Nuvi
- Wait for it to get into the Data mode
- Remove the USB connector and wait for it to reboot (the screen change). Immediately plug in the mini USB connector. Note:- You can also unplug and plug in the charger.
- Your Nuvi will boot up in the Navigation mode

I have the mini USB connector modification procedure but due to my posting problem here.... I can't do it... ](*,)

Hope this helps... cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:12 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550
jgl51 wrote:
What is the easiest (and safest) method to transfer POIs I have saved in my Nuvi 200W in a new unit, should I decide to switch, without deleting any data already in the new unit??

Thanks.

Jacques

Do you have MapSource??? Use MapSource to receive from old device and send to new device... Easiest and safest... :mrgreen:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 32  Next