Adaptor charger used for nuvi 200

Discuss about external antenna, batteries, mount and other GPS accessories

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
bernGPS
Senior Mapper
Posts: 3369
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Garmin 10x, GPSmap78s (now become a lemon) & etrex Vista HCx
Location: Sabah & Sarawak
Contact:

Re: Adaptor charger used for nuvi 200

#11 Post by bernGPS » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:54 pm

anthonyvoo wrote:ur nuvi will not burn. ~~ Just Try It ~~
If it burns, tell us so we would do the same thing. Than you go and buy another NUVI 200. :mrgreen:

kepco
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:39 pm
GPS: Nuvi 300 + Colorado 300
Location: Bayan Lepas, Penang
Contact:

Re: Adaptor charger used for nuvi 200

#12 Post by kepco » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:33 am

I'm referring to the original Garmin car charger and there stated down Output is 5v and 1A, as what anthonyvoo said, any mini usb charger with output rated at 5v and 1A will work with Nuvi 200 and 300 (at least with these model)

Please take note that most of the laptop usb port do not have enough amp output, instead of worry the GPS unit get fry, we instead worry of the laptop get fry. For those that have external 2.5" hard drive, normally they come with cable with one end hv 2 USB connector (to hook up to computer usb port) and another end with mini usb. Use that cable to charge Nuvi if using laptop.

kepco

User avatar
KeyWest
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:49 pm
GPS: Handy
Contact:

Re: Adaptor charger used for nuvi 200

#13 Post by KeyWest » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:41 pm

kepco wrote:I'm referring to the original Garmin car charger and there stated down Output is 5v and 1A, as what anthonyvoo said, any mini usb charger with output rated at 5v and 1A will work with Nuvi 200 and 300 (at least with these model)

Please take note that most of the laptop usb port do not have enough amp output, instead of worry the GPS unit get fry, we instead worry of the laptop get fry. For those that have external 2.5" hard drive, normally they come with cable with one end hv 2 USB connector (to hook up to computer usb port) and another end with mini usb. Use that cable to charge Nuvi if using laptop.

kepco

Good advice there bro kepco.... Conclusion,
Desktop: Use normal USB=>Mini-usb cable will charge it.... [Am using this, so far so good, no burnt gps devices yet :P]
Laptop: Use Laptop's external hardisk's cable like what bro kepco said.... [even though the normal ones can also be used but juz to be on the safe side]
:rock:

kepco
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:39 pm
GPS: Nuvi 300 + Colorado 300
Location: Bayan Lepas, Penang
Contact:

Re: Adaptor charger used for nuvi 200

#14 Post by kepco » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:17 pm

glad I can share... :)

may be my wording is exaggerated, whole laptop will not get fry (ie motherboard) but the USB controller, trust me, I learn my lesson... :cry:

User avatar
koi
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:42 pm
GPS: GPSMAP 60CSx, Nuvi610, N82 aGPS, Oregon 300, Nuvi 760
Location: Kuantan
Contact:

Re: Adaptor charger used for nuvi 200

#15 Post by koi » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:27 pm

my experience was the motorola charger and usb cable are totally different from the standard. motorola adapted their own standard.

i can share/interchange my blackberry, nuvi, dopod charger and usb cable and all is workable. I recalled plugging the motorola cable into my blackberry for syncing and it caused a soft reset. i did test using the motorola charger to my blackberry and it does not charge or smoke the blackberry.

share your experience if you indeed plugged it in to your nuvi. :-.

kooitick
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:54 pm
GPS: non
Contact:

Re: Adaptor charger used for nuvi 200

#16 Post by kooitick » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:52 pm

i just buy a cigarette lighter adapter from Low Yat Plaza, cost me RM25. It is safe to use because it function exactly like the car cigarette lighter. Then just plug in the Nuvi vehicle power cable. The Garmin will turn on automatic when you do so, so just switch it off then it will go to charging mode.

Then I leave my unit there for 8 hours, when charging it is a bit warm. After charging it cut off the power automatic :wink:

Remember to bring together the power cable when you go to buy the adapter, so that they can understand what you want

gpsnuts
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:18 pm
GPS: Holux + Dell Axim v51x + nuvi200W
Contact:

Re: Adaptor charger used for nuvi 200

#17 Post by gpsnuts » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:43 pm

All charger use miniB usb connector have a normal voltage rating of 5V. The output current will depend on the type of charger. The original Garmin charger is rated 1A. Other after market charger may be lower ~500mA. It will charge. I am using all three including the desk top computer usb port.

I am using nuvi200w. Whenever I plugin charge other than Garmin, it will go into data mode.. not sure you guy have similar experience with nuvi200. :-?

User avatar
supercharger
Regular
Regular
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:25 pm
GPS: nuvi 200
Location: 47100 MY
Contact:

Re: Adaptor charger used for nuvi 200

#18 Post by supercharger » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:58 pm

gpsnuts wrote:All charger use miniB usb connector have a normal voltage rating of 5V. The output current will depend on the type of charger. The original Garmin charger is rated 1A. Other after market charger may be lower ~500mA. It will charge. I am using all three including the desk top computer usb port.

I am using nuvi200w. Whenever I plugin charge other than Garmin, it will go into data mode.. not sure you guy have similar experience with nuvi200. :-?
after u connect the charger, try to switch off the unit
N 2º 58.657’ E 101º 36.652’

tuxedotux
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:33 pm
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200
Location: Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
Contact:

Re: Adaptor charger used for nuvi 200

#19 Post by tuxedotux » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:22 am

When i plug in my Nuvi 200 to the pc using the USB cable, I cant seam to turn off the GPS.
Its like in a stanby mode with the Garmin word in the midddle and a picture at the bottom showing the GPS connected to the PC.

Is the PC now charging the GPS??
CHEERS!!

tropicalfruitz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:17 am
GPS: Useless Qualcomm
Seasoned Vista HCx V2.6
Condemned NJ1030A Ver.4
Location: Singapura
Contact:

Re: Adaptor charger used for nuvi 200

#20 Post by tropicalfruitz » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:35 am

tuxedotux wrote:When i plug in my Nuvi 200 to the pc using the USB cable, I cant seam to turn off the GPS.
Its like in a stanby mode with the Garmin word in the midddle and a picture at the bottom showing the GPS connected to the PC.

Is the PC now charging the GPS??
CHEERS!!
Cheers!

Yep, USB 2.0 can output enough current to charge the battery of the Nuvi.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests