Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:49 pm 

GPS: Garmin 60CSx, Garmin 60C, GPS12, dead GPS38
Hi guys

I wondering if anyone can help.

I'm a member of TRAKS (the Trails Association of KL and Selangor) and help coordinate the trail construction at the Kota Damansara Community Forest. So far, it's been going well, and we hope to have an additional loop of 2 kilometres ready for launch next April.

Part of the project involves producing signage for the forest, and I'd like to get a map done of the trails for the purposes of (a) a signboard, and (b) to upload on the KDCF and TRAKS websites.

Is there anyone who can help with creating a map for this purpose? It will have to be something more than just a Garmin map file -- I'm thinking maybe something drawn in Illustrator or something similar. Contour lines should be included, and shading of the terrain would also be useful.

I can provide tracklog data for the trails, although we might need to collect further data for some of the geophysical features (like the lake, although this can be obtained from googlemaps).

Most of the work done in KDCF is on a volunteer basis, although there is a small budget allocated for hardware associated with the trail. I might therefore be able to provide a small fee, although it ain't gonna make anyone a millionaire :-)

So, any budding graphic artists out there?

Joe

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:03 am 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Yang dalam kereta punya
joeadnan wrote:
Is there anyone who can help with creating a map for this purpose? It will have to be something more than just a Garmin map file -- I'm thinking maybe something drawn in Illustrator or something similar. Contour lines should be included, and shading of the terrain would also be useful.

I can provide tracklog data for the trails, although we might need to collect further data for some of the geophysical features (like the lake, although this can be obtained from googlemaps).

Hi joeadnan,
I personally congrats you for your effort in tracking trails for lakes, forest etc. As you know, some of the garmin users use garmin PND (like you I guess) as a guide for climbing mountain and hiking. :good:
For this purpose, we also welcome your tracklog (we map more than just for drivers.. hahaha) and probably, who know, your effort will be used by many people who wants to feel malaysian forest/lakes adventures or as a benchmark should any illegal logging happens in that areas without noticed by the relevent auth... :-'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:24 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: nuvi
If you pass the tracklogs to miezarnd he'd be happy to map it for you, and you should be able to see the drawn map at masmap-online by next day morning. I can pass you the code to embed map like this on your websites.
If you need to further process the map for other purposes you can ask Noah for the vector files. Noah might also be able to give you a much detailed ASTER terrain data.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:49 am 
Senior Mapper

GPS: 60csx, Nuvi 2465
You need to click Google Terrain and then click Masmap to overlay the data.

Follow our map updates on Twitter