Multiple copies of MSM cannot be recognized on Garmin?

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

innocast
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 1460

Multiple copies of MSM cannot be recognized on Garmin?

#1 Post by innocast » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:33 am

i got multiple msm maps on my garmin nuvi 1460, different version one, and different filename, but only one map is recognized on the device? how come ah????? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

Re: Multiple copies of MSM cannot be recognized on Garmin?

#2 Post by dvpro » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:42 am

You should not install more than 1 version of each map product, it would cause conflicts. Also as they share similar FID, only 1 version would be recognized (sometimes when the map consists of a few map tiles, the recognized map would be a combination of a few versions). BTW, MSM v4.xx, MSM NT 2xxx.xx and MSM NT v5.xx are different map products and all can be installed in device without issues, as long as only 1 map product is enabled at any 1 time.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

innocast
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 1460

#3 Post by innocast » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:19 pm

dvpro wrote:You should not install more than 1 version of each map product, it would cause conflicts. Also as they share similar FID, only 1 version would be recognized (sometimes when the map consists of a few map tiles, the recognized map would be a combination of a few versions). BTW, MSM v4.xx, MSM NT 2xxx.xx and MSM NT v5.xx are different map products and all can be installed in device without issues, as long as only 1 map product is enabled at any 1 time.
thanks mod for ur clarification. at least i know why.....

in that case, i am not going to invest further money on the microSD card already. and will stick to my current 1GB one... since although there is no restriction on the no of map can have on newer series of garmin navigator, but still again each map product can have one only at one time....

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#4 Post by dvpro » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Nevertheless, there should not be any problem enabling all maps if they are maps of different regions (except for maps that share common border).
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.