Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:01 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
Dear Members,

Please continue your questions regarding MSM installation into NUVIs here.

A) MSM/Garmin NT Format Maps for Non Localised Units - Free but requires Unlock Code
(Click to read the whole topic, Latest map is the one with the highest number value - 2010.XX)

B) MSM/Garmin NT Format Maps for Localised Units - Free but requires Unlock Code.
Linked directly to Garmin Download Website.

C) Find the In-house MSM NT Format Maps in this Sub-Forum - Free and Unlocked.
Includes some JCVs, more will be added in time.
(Latest Map is the one with the highest number value - v5.xx)

For a quick installation guide ---> Click Here

Click here for:

1) Loading MSM into Nuvi Part 1
2) Loading MSM into Nuvi part 2
3) Loading MSM into Nuvi part 3
4) Loading MSM into Nuvi Part 4
5) Loading MSM into Nuvi Part 5

ATTENTION 2xx/5xx/6xx/7xx series NUVI USERS

Zeus73 wrote:
To use MSM NT from SD card, you will need to change the file name.
    gmapprom1.img -> gmapsupp.img
    gmapprom1.unl -> gmapsupp.unl

For user of nuvi 3XX and 8XX series, your unit might not be able to read the unlock code from the UNL file. Please read http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=155211#p155211.

For user of nuvi 1XXX & 3xxx series, you can copy the maps into the "MAP" folder of main memory or SD card.
As long as your are using \Map, you may rename your map to anything you like as long as it ends with .img

Click Here for further details

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:02 pm 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 1350
Redstorm, thanks for your very informative post.

Perhaps I should ask you for the Garmin 1350 bought in the US, which map would you use and why?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:12 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM
gregwoon wrote:
Redstorm, thanks for your very informative post.

Perhaps I should ask you for the Garmin 1350 bought in the US, which map would you use and why?

Thanks

If I were you, with a US ver of 1350, of the 3 maps - Garmin CN 2011,xx, MSM NT 2011.xx and MSM ver 5.xx, I would definitely use the MSM v5.13. You can't view JCV if you use the Garmin CN or MSM NT maps as your US ver device will not display this feature. Stick to the MSM v5.xx map even though it has very limited JCV and LA features for the current version. Fret not, in future both features will be very comprehensive and the good thing is that any version (not necessarily localised one) can take advantage of the JCV and LA as long as your device supports it. The main advantage the MSM v5.xx has over the other 2 maps is that it is more updated since it is released about fortnightly compared to quarterly for the other 2 maps.

Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

Post subject: how to install map
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:30 pm 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi
once I download map from your site,how should I install it in my device?pls help me

Post subject: Re: how to install map
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:37 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

MSA1996 wrote:
once I download map from your site,how should I install it in my device?pls help me

You can download the latest MSM NT v5.13 map from here. You don't indicate which Nuvi model you own, so I will have to explain a bit more. After downloading, just unzip, copy and paste the file (gmapsupp.img) into the Garmin folder in your SD card (for Nuvi 2xx, 6xx and 7xx). If yours is the 1xxx series or 3790, then create a Map folder in your microSD card and dump the map there. For the 1xxx series and 3790, you can rename the map to any name you want for convenience and easy remembrance e.g. MSMv5.13.img, MySg.img, etc. You can store as many maps as you want in the Map folder as long as your card capacity allows it whereas for the 2xx, 6xx and 7xx series, you are restricted to only one map (gmapsupp) in the Garmin folder.

Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:26 am 

GPS: 1350 US Model
Redstorm,

I am newbie here and have followed thru the forums. Just 2 questions for my US nuvi1350, which is arriving in a week time.

Question 1-
After unzipping the file, a folder is created in the SD card, \MAP\MSMv5-13.img, what about product.JCV?
Should i put as following ..
\MAP\MSMv5-13.img
\MAP\product.JCV .. (Same folder as MSMv5-13.img)
or
\MAP\MSMv5-13.img
\MAP\JCV\product.JCV
I read it somethere that for this JCV, another folder is created within the MAP folder .. (Sounds like Inception .. folder within a folder)
I believed i need to unclick "US map" and click "MSMv5-13" in the system in order to activate this map. If US map is preloaded into the device harddisk while MSMv5-13 is in the SD card, do i need to search and unclick to the settings like phone, SIM card or phone memory?

Question 2-
Do we need to register at the Garmin official site? What kind of support will that site provide or updates?
I noticed that the website has nuvi13.14xx SG v280? Is this firmware update and how often we need to update?
Since mine is purchased from US, any difference if i access Sg vs US site?

Kind of confused as well as i read thru the forums, where using maps needs to have Unlocked version but some dont? If i understand correctly, this is based on models requirement and since mine is nuvi 1350 or 1xxx series, unlocking map is not necessary, correct?

Thanks for the help n guidance from you and rest of the team ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:59 am 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

dejase wrote:
Redstorm,

I am newbie here and have followed thru the forums. Just 2 questions for my US nuvi1350, which is arriving in a week time.

Question 1-
After unzipping the file, a folder is created in the SD card, \MAP\MSMv5-13.img, what about product.JCV?
Should i put as following ..
\MAP\MSMv5-13.img
\MAP\product.JCV .. (Same folder as MSMv5-13.img)
or
\MAP\MSMv5-13.img
\MAP\JCV\product.JCV

As for the JCV file to be used with the corresponding map, just create a sub folder "JCV" and dump the JCV file inside. The JCV sub-folder should be placed together with the map inside the Map folder.

I read it somethere that for this JCV, another folder is created within the MAP folder .. (Sounds like Inception .. folder within a folder)
I believed i need to unclick "US map" and click "MSMv5-13" in the system in order to activate this map. If US map is preloaded into the device harddisk while MSMv5-13 is in the SD card, do i need to search and unclick to the settings like phone, SIM card or phone memory?

Since you have only one map (US) inside besides the MSMv5.13 map, it is very unlikely that you will get conflicting information during navigating. As a rule, especially if you have more than one My/Sg map inside, check on only one map otherwise you will get conflicting information during navigation. To check/uncheck any map, on your device, go to Tools > Settings > myMaps.

Question 2-
Do we need to register at the Garmin official site? What kind of support will that site provide or updates?
I noticed that the website has nuvi13.14xx SG v280? Is this firmware update and how often we need to update?
Since mine is purchased from US, any difference if i access Sg vs US site?

Since yours is a US version, it is advisable to register at the US site. Like any other electronic gadgets, you don't really get much benefits other than informations about products, new, etc. The choice is yours to make. For me, I don't bother to do so. For firmware update, you should update your device whenever thee is any new firmware available. However, please do not go to the Garmin Sg to update the firmware that is meant for localised 1350 otherwise it will brick your device.

Kind of confused as well as i read thru the forums, where using maps needs to have Unlocked version but some dont? If i understand correctly, this is based on models requirement and since mine is nuvi 1350 or 1xxx series, unlocking map is not necessary, correct?

There are two versions of MSM maps - MSM NT 2011.xx and MSM ver 5.13. The MSM NT 2011.xx is compiled by Garmin using data supplied by MSM and is released only quartely. It has JCV and LA but the JCV is viewable only on localised versions. This map requires an unlock code. You can install this map but I don't see any benefit for your set since you will not be able to view JCV even though your device supports the feature.

The MSM v5.xx map is compiled by MSM using Garmin compiled and is more up-to-date - released about fortnightly. It does not need any unlock code. Current version has very limited JCV and LA for certain parts of MY only. Future versions will expand on areas having JCV and LA. The good thing about this map is that you don't need a localised version to view JCV and LA as long as your device supports it.

Thanks for the help n guidance from you and rest of the team ...

Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

Post subject: help needed for old GPS
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:55 pm 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi310
hi all, just inherited a Garmin Nuvi310 from a friend.. .

need help to understand a few things

1. how to upload maps into the garmin gps (step by step process is most appreciated)
2. how to upload POIs etc
3. which versions are applicable to this GPS
4. how to unlock locked versions...

tks in advance :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:20 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
cyruz_s wrote:
hi all, just inherited a Garmin Nuvi310 from a friend.. .

need help to understand a few things

1. how to upload maps into the garmin gps (step by step process is most appreciated)
download the map from this link viewtopic.php?p=187429#p187429
unzip the map file gmapsupp.img and copy this to Nuvi 310 SD card/garmin directory

2. how to upload POIs etc
You can do this via Garmin mapsource application. Read our wiki for more information

3. which versions are applicable to this GPS
Gave you the link for MSM latest map

4. how to unlock locked versions...
No need unlock code.

tks in advance :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:07 pm 

GPS: GPS with Garmin map
is there anyway to change the nuvi 1350 from US set to Local singapore set? any firmware that can install? or does Garmin provide any help on this?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next