Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:59 pm 

GPS: Garmin 2455LMT (6.66 map), HTC TyTN, Dopod 818Pro, Garmin Mobile 10X, MoblieXT 4.20.50, MSM 5.31
Im confused. I use MXT/Win6 and 4.08. I just downloaded 5.31 to update my map and see that 5.31 has many fewer roads and details than 4.08. What happened? Also the tracks are not well-defined and smooth, the tracks seem like they were re-tracked a few times. Should i have stayed in a pre-5.xx version?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:13 pm 
Qualified Mapper

GPS: Garmin 60CSx + GA25MCX
cvco wrote:
Im confused. I use MXT/Win6 and 4.08. I just downloaded 5.31 to update my map and see that 5.31 has many fewer roads and details than 4.08. What happened? Also the tracks are not well-defined and smooth, the tracks seem like they were re-tracked a few times. Should i have stayed in a pre-5.xx version?

weird.. :-k

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:53 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Yang dalam kereta punya
cvco wrote:

Hi cvco,
You should stay in 5.xx version coz it's the latest ones not only in your area but another states as well.

Will check the Sri Damansara area regarding your comment on new map got fewer roads. Should be the same (adding more roads without deleting old ones). If you may, need to know the areas that you've mentioned for checking. Btw.. for v5.xx using Garmin compiler thus the conditions using the maps might slightly different when using MXT. Please set the map details to normal (or high) and zoom level when browsing the map less than 80 meters and see any difference.

Regards,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:39 pm 

GPS: 350
Hi,

I just bought Garmin nuvi 1690 from US. I tried to load the MSM but seem like i only can see the very brief major road. I stalled these files to /Garmin/ copied from another nuvi unit.

these are the files I copied into the dir:
gmapbmap.img
gmapbmap (SUM file)
gmapprom.img
gmapprom (SUM file)
gmapsupp.img
gmaptz.img
gmaptz (SUM file)

from the map info I won't see all these map but only north America map. Is it too many map files cause confuse?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:51 am 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
nkw10977 wrote:
Hi,

I just bought Garmin nuvi 1690 from US. I tried to load the MSM but seem like i only can see the very brief major road. I stalled these files to /Garmin/ copied from another nuvi unit.

these are the files I copied into the dir:
gmapbmap.img
gmapbmap (SUM file)
gmapprom.img
gmapprom (SUM file)
gmapsupp.img
gmaptz.img
gmaptz (SUM file)

from the map info I won't see all these map but only north America map. Is it too many map files cause confuse?

Bro nkw10977, do not blindly copy contents from another unit to your unit. You could cause corruption and worse case brick your Nuvi.

Backup all contents inclusive of hidden files, then Undo what you have done earlier and then follow the steps below to load MSM map :

Download our free map from this link : viewtopic.php?p=194539#p194539

Buy a SD card. Unzip the map file gmapsupp.img. Create a directory /garmin and put the map file into it.

If you are asking why I recommended SD card storage for maps vs internal memory, please read this link viewtopic.php?p=194703#p194703

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:21 pm 

GPS: Papago R12 PDA
Just bought a Nuvi 2565RT from Taiwan with Video capturing camera. Is it possible to copy the MSM map and JCV data to the internal memory without using the microSD card? I also owned a 205W, I could copy MSM map to the internal memory.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:48 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
saint7608 wrote:
Just bought a Nuvi 2565RT from Taiwan with Video capturing camera. Is it possible to copy the MSM map and JCV data to the internal memory without using the microSD card? I also owned a 205W, I could copy MSM map to the internal memory.

As a newbie, it is ADVISABLE to load maps in SD card.

Yes you can load it in main memory and Yes you risk bricking your Nuvi ... Your choice :-'

jasonlee wrote:
An SD card should be your primary storage - not an alternative. SD cards cost almost nothing if damaged. A damaged internal memory will cost you as much as a new GPS. Try not to save any maps into the internal memory if possible. Another important point - if a map in the SD card is corrupted, the GPS will still boot but not read the map but if a map in the internal memory is corrupted, your GPS will not boot and you end up with an expensive paper-weight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:31 pm 

GPS: Papago R12 PDA
Thank you for your suggestion. I agree.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:16 am 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 40
Hi,
I recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 40 from the US, thinking it was as simple as just downloading SIN/MAL maps will do, however, after reading these postings it seems like there are local SKUs are WW SKUs.

I plan to use this device in Singapore and Malaysia, am I busted?

Can you guide on what I need to do? I am a real idiot in this so, I have no understanding to lean to..

Thanks,
Snifez

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:41 am 

GPS: Garmin 2455LMT (6.66 map), HTC TyTN, Dopod 818Pro, Garmin Mobile 10X, MoblieXT 4.20.50, MSM 5.31
miezarnd wrote:
cvco wrote:

Hi cvco,
You should stay in 5.xx version coz it's the latest ones not only in your area but another states as well.

Will check the Sri Damansara area regarding your comment on new map got fewer roads. Should be the same (adding more roads without deleting old ones). If you may, need to know the areas that you've mentioned for checking. Btw.. for v5.xx using Garmin compiler thus the conditions using the maps might slightly different when using MXT. Please set the map details to normal (or high) and zoom level when browsing the map less than 80 meters and see any difference.

Regards,

Thank you. Ok i should have said that the differences i note in the maps are seen when comparing 4.08 and 5.31 in Mapsource. Switching from one map to the other to see whats updated does reveal the differences i referred to. In prior versions, one could compare maps at 70m or 150m or 1km and the maps would look the same. Now in 5.31, roads dont appear at 1km scale but do in 4.08. To see detailed roads in 5.31 one must scale down the map a lot. Now its hard to get your bearings of where you are because you can only see streets at 70m or 150m scale which is "too close." Also, i notice all graphics are gone in 5.31, for example parks or green areas are now just lines. Also, most of the icons are gone, its just little white-colored squares. Now, on the road, i notice in 5.31 that transitions from one tile to the next are very difficult. Sometimes i can drive 10km before the next adjacent tile will display. Also, the tiles dont line up to eachother, they are each askew a bit. And yes, some streets have been double tracked and also some streets are gone competely. Maybe that was a result of new contruction or road re-alignments?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 27  Next