Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:32 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 pm
Posts: 13
GPS: Holux 236
Hi guy, I going visit Hatyai just 3-5 days only....

I'm thinking driving my car go up, den parking around Bukit Kayu Hitam, heard there got duty free parking....

so my question, I heard some ppl said better don't park at duty free, its dangerous, is it true? How dangerous?

Or any idea? I just no plan to drive my car go in Hatyai because the petrol damn expansive there....


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:30 pm 
Offline
Senior Mapper

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:44 pm
Posts: 2034
Location: Penang, Malaysia
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
jusbella wrote:
Hi guy, I going visit Hatyai just 3-5 days only....

I'm thinking driving my car go up, den parking around Bukit Kayu Hitam, heard there got duty free parking....

so my question, I heard some ppl said better don't park at duty free, its dangerous, is it true? How dangerous?

Or any idea? I just no plan to drive my car go in Hatyai because the petrol damn expansive there....

Why not enjoy a different experience? Hat Yai is only 53 Km form the border so if you fill up your tank just before crossing the border, you should not need to top-up in Hat Yai for just 3-5 days (unless you plan to drive around a lot but can is unlikely to be the case if you are already planning not to drive there). Only just make sure you have the correct documents to export your car from Malaysia and import your car into Thailand.

_________________
Lean not on your own understanding


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:51 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 pm
Posts: 13
GPS: Holux 236
jasonlee wrote:
jusbella wrote:
Hi guy, I going visit Hatyai just 3-5 days only....

I'm thinking driving my car go up, den parking around Bukit Kayu Hitam, heard there got duty free parking....

so my question, I heard some ppl said better don't park at duty free, its dangerous, is it true? How dangerous?

Or any idea? I just no plan to drive my car go in Hatyai because the petrol damn expansive there....

Why not enjoy a different experience? Hat Yai is only 53 Km form the border so if you fill up your tank just before crossing the border, you should not need to top-up in Hat Yai for just 3-5 days (unless you plan to drive around a lot but can is unlikely to be the case if you are already planning not to drive there). Only just make sure you have the correct documents to export your car from Malaysia and import your car into Thailand.


Any guide how can I apply those document? How much needed for everything?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:57 pm 
Offline
Senior Mapper

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:44 pm
Posts: 2034
Location: Penang, Malaysia
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
jusbella wrote:


Any guide how can I apply those document? How much needed for everything?

Please take note of the following:

Car requirements:

The owner of the car must be an occupant in the car so that the police can tally the passport with the JPJ card (the original is required). If your car is registered to a company or charged to a finance company, then a letter of authorisation allowing you to drive the car out of the country is necessary. As RON97 fuel is not commonly available, avoid bringing a car that only runs on RON97. RON 95 is available everywhere. For diesel, Thai diesel is of better quality than Malaysian.

The drive:

You should have no problems to follow the North-South Plus Highway to Jitra where you have to pay toll. (Bring your Touch-n-Go card if you have one). The speed limit drops from 110kph to 90kph and all the highways in Thailand have the same 90kph limit.

You should slow down after 24 Km from the Jitra toll where YOU MUST STOP to buy your third-party insurance for Thailand. There are many such shops available so take your pick. The one I usually go to is at coordinates = N6 25.502 E100 25.713. At this shop, you can have them fill your entry & exit cards for Thailand for just RM1 per passport.

You can buy your third-party insurance for minimum 9 days. I paid RM16 for 9 days insurance. Here you can also change Ringgit to Thai Baht and the rate is usually better than in Thailand. You need to show them your car registration card and passports for the insurance and the arrival cards. Ensure that each one of you retain at least 4xRM1 notes. You will need it.

2Km down the road is a Caltex Petrol Station. I shall be filling up my tank here as the last chance before leaving Malaysia. The September 2011 prices of fuel in Thailand was about RM3.70/L for RON 95 and about RM 3.30/L for diesel.

About 8 Km from the Caltex station is the Malaysian Immigration where you must show your passport to exit Malaysia.

Next stop is the Duty Free Shop (about 500 metres further) if you like to buy some (no limit) duty free alcohol or other things to consume in Thailand. If you purchase more than RM100 value of goods you can present your parking ticket at the Customer Service counter near the exit to be stamped for free parking. The duty-free shop closes at 5pm (Malaysian time) so if you plan to return from Thailand after 5pm, you should buy your quota for the return as well. Thailand does not bother how much you bring in or out. One thing you should know is that in Thailand, alcohol can only be sold in shops from 11:00 till 14:00 and from 17:00 until midnight.

After the Duty Free shop is the Malaysian Customs where you will need to show your car JPJ Registration Card and car owner's passport.

You will then drive about 750m in no-man's-land then you will cross the border into Thailand. You will be directed to park your car at a car park on the left. All passengers must go to the passport booth where their photo will be snapped by a digital camera. You must remember to insert RM2 into each passport as 'processing fee'. After passport clearance, the passengers can go back to the car and wait but the owner of the car will have to walk to the last booth which is the customs booth to present his passport and car registration card at the first window. A free Import Form will be printed for you which you have to present at the second window. They will retain the Form and ask you to go back to the car park and drive your car back to the customs booth (the second car lane from the right) for them to see the car and then give you a copy of your Import Form. You are now cleared to enter Thailand.

There is one more 'formality' that is to drive through the Customs Complex which is about 2.5 Km from the border. Just follow the car lane and drive slowly through. Unless somebody asks you to show the Import Form, cars usually just drive through as the Customs Complex is for checking cargo vehicles and their cargoes.

On your return trip, remember to do the same thing of all passengers going to the passport booth with RM1 in each passport and the owner taking the Import Form to the customs booth and sign the export book. Your car must be parked within sight of this booth. You must not forget to return the Import Form or sign the book or they may arrest you for smuggling a car out of Thailand or ban you from entering Thailand with that car again.

_________________
Lean not on your own understanding


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:13 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 pm
Posts: 13
GPS: Holux 236
jasonlee wrote:
jusbella wrote:


Any guide how can I apply those document? How much needed for everything?

Please take note of the following:

Car requirements:

The owner of the car must be an occupant in the car so that the police can tally the passport with the JPJ card (the original is required). If your car is registered to a company or charged to a finance company, then a letter of authorisation allowing you to drive the car out of the country is necessary. As RON97 fuel is not commonly available, avoid bringing a car that only runs on RON97. RON 95 is available everywhere. For diesel, Thai diesel is of better quality than Malaysian.

The drive:

You should have no problems to follow the North-South Plus Highway to Jitra where you have to pay toll. (Bring your Touch-n-Go card if you have one). The speed limit drops from 110kph to 90kph and all the highways in Thailand have the same 90kph limit.

You should slow down after 24 Km from the Jitra toll where YOU MUST STOP to buy your third-party insurance for Thailand. There are many such shops available so take your pick. The one I usually go to is at coordinates = N6 25.502 E100 25.713. At this shop, you can have them fill your entry & exit cards for Thailand for just RM1 per passport.

You can buy your third-party insurance for minimum 9 days. I paid RM16 for 9 days insurance. Here you can also change Ringgit to Thai Baht and the rate is usually better than in Thailand. You need to show them your car registration card and passports for the insurance and the arrival cards. Ensure that each one of you retain at least 4xRM1 notes. You will need it.

2Km down the road is a Caltex Petrol Station. I shall be filling up my tank here as the last chance before leaving Malaysia. The September 2011 prices of fuel in Thailand was about RM3.70/L for RON 95 and about RM 3.30/L for diesel.

About 8 Km from the Caltex station is the Malaysian Immigration where you must show your passport to exit Malaysia.

Next stop is the Duty Free Shop (about 500 metres further) if you like to buy some (no limit) duty free alcohol or other things to consume in Thailand. If you purchase more than RM100 value of goods you can present your parking ticket at the Customer Service counter near the exit to be stamped for free parking. The duty-free shop closes at 5pm (Malaysian time) so if you plan to return from Thailand after 5pm, you should buy your quota for the return as well. Thailand does not bother how much you bring in or out. One thing you should know is that in Thailand, alcohol can only be sold in shops from 11:00 till 14:00 and from 17:00 until midnight.

After the Duty Free shop is the Malaysian Customs where you will need to show your car JPJ Registration Card and car owner's passport.

You will then drive about 750m in no-man's-land then you will cross the border into Thailand. You will be directed to park your car at a car park on the left. All passengers must go to the passport booth where their photo will be snapped by a digital camera. You must remember to insert RM2 into each passport as 'processing fee'. After passport clearance, the passengers can go back to the car and wait but the owner of the car will have to walk to the last booth which is the customs booth to present his passport and car registration card at the first window. A free Import Form will be printed for you which you have to present at the second window. They will retain the Form and ask you to go back to the car park and drive your car back to the customs booth (the second car lane from the right) for them to see the car and then give you a copy of your Import Form. You are now cleared to enter Thailand.

There is one more 'formality' that is to drive through the Customs Complex which is about 2.5 Km from the border. Just follow the car lane and drive slowly through. Unless somebody asks you to show the Import Form, cars usually just drive through as the Customs Complex is for checking cargo vehicles and their cargoes.

On your return trip, remember to do the same thing of all passengers going to the passport booth with RM1 in each passport and the owner taking the Import Form to the customs booth and sign the export book. Your car must be parked within sight of this booth. You must not forget to return the Import Form or sign the book or they may arrest you for smuggling a car out of Thailand or ban you from entering Thailand with that car again.


Cool.... thanks brother... well explained, I going print it out :P :peace:


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:49 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 pm
Posts: 13
GPS: Holux 236
Hi brother..... Sorry for disturb again....

Well, now the car is not registered under mine, its my father-in-law's car... So went there I need to find exchange money changer and buy some insurance...

So now what I need is:

1. JPJ car registration photostat
2. Car owner IC photostat
3. Driver IC photostat
4. Release letter which u can create myself?

For release letter I can write like this?

"I, (car owner), IC: xxxxxx Authorise (Driver name), IC: xxxxxx to drive my car."

den sign that all??? is that right?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:21 pm 
Offline
Senior Mapper

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:44 pm
Posts: 2034
Location: Penang, Malaysia
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
jusbella wrote:
Hi brother..... Sorry for disturb again....

Well, now the car is not registered under mine, its my father-in-law's car... So went there I need to find exchange money changer and buy some insurance...

So now what I need is:

1. JPJ car registration photostat
2. Car owner IC photostat
3. Driver IC photostat
4. Release letter which u can create myself?

For release letter I can write like this?

"I, (car owner), IC: xxxxxx Authorise (Driver name), IC: xxxxxx to drive my car."

den sign that all??? is that right?

Sorry, I have always driven my own car so I don't know what the requirements are for a car owned by another who is not in the car with you. Perhaps some other brother with the experience can answer your questions.

_________________
Lean not on your own understanding


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:15 am 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:53 pm
Posts: 2
GPS: Malsingmap. Marbella
Hope this could help. Why park at Duty free? You are wasting an awesome chance to explore the Thai in your own vehicle. As for dangerous, what I can say is......no Venture, no Gain.

Check out my link and hope this can give you some ideas....viewtopic.php?f=47&t=22432&p=195442#p195442


jusbella wrote:
Hi guy, I going visit Hatyai just 3-5 days only....

I'm thinking driving my car go up, den parking around Bukit Kayu Hitam, heard there got duty free parking....

so my question, I heard some ppl said better don't park at duty free, its dangerous, is it true? How dangerous?

Or any idea? I just no plan to drive my car go in Hatyai because the petrol damn expansive there....

_________________
http://roadtriptothailand.blogspot.com/ ... iland.html


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:53 am 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 pm
Posts: 13
GPS: Holux 236
Shor wrote:
Hope this could help. Why park at Duty free? You are wasting an awesome chance to explore the Thai in your own vehicle. As for dangerous, what I can say is......no Venture, no Gain.

Check out my link and hope this can give you some ideas....viewtopic.php?f=47&t=22432&p=195442#p195442


jusbella wrote:
Hi guy, I going visit Hatyai just 3-5 days only....

I'm thinking driving my car go up, den parking around Bukit Kayu Hitam, heard there got duty free parking....

so my question, I heard some ppl said better don't park at duty free, its dangerous, is it true? How dangerous?

Or any idea? I just no plan to drive my car go in Hatyai because the petrol damn expansive there....


Hi thanks... I decided to drive car to thailand...


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:16 am 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 pm
Posts: 13
GPS: Holux 236
Hi guy, can somebody clarify this? I heard hatyai flooding, is it true?? my trip date 12 jan till 15 jan, checked accuweather and its raining whole day!!!!

den I going cancel my trip already... that stupid... so sad man!


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group