Newbie Guide Part 5

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
bartmp8
Senior Mapper
Posts: 3059
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:35 pm
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
Location: Sandakan
Contact:

Newbie Guide Part 5

#1 Post by bartmp8 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:37 pm

Dear Members,

Pls use this topic to ask questions when you are not sure which Sub-forum to use.


Dear Mappers/MODs,
Please use this topic to file any "Limbo" posts you find :mrgreen:

Links:

Newbie Guide Part 4
Loading MSM into Nuvi Part 7
How to download MSM to Garmin Handheld Part 3
Private Message in Outbox & Not sent
Newbie Lounge Mini Index - View and Ask for Links Here

General Reference for Nuvi

Steppenwolf
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 am
GPS: Garmin 60csx
Contact:

Need help please

#2 Post by Steppenwolf » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:45 pm

I have a garmin 60csx, and i have been using an old version of Mapsource 6.13.x i think. I had GM-mysin already installed in the past.

I was having some bugs on it so i went to do a software update to 6.15.x. However now that i got the updated mapsource, i got the error when starting it. The error is "There is a problem with GM-mySin installation. Please re-install GM-mySin to start Mapsource again"

As it was years ago that i first did this, i'm now pretty lost. Can some kind soul please help me with what i should do next to fix this?

Thanks in advance

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: SIRFstar III
Contact:

Re: Need help please

#3 Post by wsian » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:25 pm

Steppenwolf wrote:... what i should do next to fix this?...
GM-mySin is 2009 old data. Why not download & install the latest v5.42 for mapsource? 60csx has no issue to use NT maps.

User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4924
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: Need help please

#4 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:43 am

Steppenwolf wrote:I have a garmin 60csx, and i have been using an old version of Mapsource 6.13.x i think. I had GM-mysin already installed in the past.

I was having some bugs on it so i went to do a software update to 6.15.x. However now that i got the updated mapsource, i got the error when starting it. The error is "There is a problem with GM-mySin installation. Please re-install GM-mySin to start Mapsource again"

As it was years ago that i first did this, i'm now pretty lost. Can some kind soul please help me with what i should do next to fix this?

Thanks in advance

This should help you http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... Newbie.gif

Steppenwolf
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 am
GPS: Garmin 60csx
Contact:

Re: Need help please

#5 Post by Steppenwolf » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:19 pm

wsian wrote:
Steppenwolf wrote:... what i should do next to fix this?...
GM-mySin is 2009 old data. Why not download & install the latest v5.42 for mapsource? 60csx has no issue to use NT maps.
Thanks, i didn't realize that i could use NTmaps for the 60csx. The wiki only pointed to the nuvi models.

Steppenwolf
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 am
GPS: Garmin 60csx
Contact:

More help needed with my 60csx

#6 Post by Steppenwolf » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:06 pm

Guys, thanks for your guidence and help so far.

I've downloaded and installed MSM NT 542 for Mapsource and also installed it on the 60csx. I've also updated the firmware for the gps to 4.0.

I do see the NT542 map in mapsource, however on my 60csx, the maps available still show up as North Pen Mal-R v1.3.09 GPSmappers Dec 2009. There's a whole bunch of 2009 maps there too. I followed the wiki-newbie guide to copy the gmapsupp_v542.img into the GPS (i did it via the usb cable rather than the microSD card).

However i didn't delete the 'old' gmapsupp.img file. As it was in a different folder.

The the question is how do i see the 542 map? Do i need to delete the old img file or is there a setting that i need to change?

Sorry again for the dumb questions, this truly is confusing to me.

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: SIRFstar III
Contact:

Re: Newbie Guide Part 5

#7 Post by wsian » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:28 pm

If you have already installed mapsource version of v5.42, why don't you transfer the map directly from mapsource?

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
Posts: 2075
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:44 pm
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Contact:

Re: More help needed with my 60csx

#8 Post by jasonlee » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Steppenwolf wrote:
I do see the NT542 map in mapsource, however on my 60csx, the maps available still show up as North Pen Mal-R v1.3.09 GPSmappers Dec 2009. There's a whole bunch of 2009 maps there too. I followed the wiki-newbie guide to copy the gmapsupp_v542.img into the GPS (i did it via the usb cable rather than the microSD card).
It does not matter how you access the SD card (by card reader or by USB cable). The contents should be the same and the 60CSx does not have a user-accessible internal memory. The map should be copied to a \Garmin folder in the SD card.
Steppenwolf wrote: However i didn't delete the 'old' gmapsupp.img file. As it was in a different folder.

The the question is how do i see the 542 map? Do i need to delete the old img file or is there a setting that i need to change?
????
What different folder?

To be able to read the v5.42, it must reside in a \Garmin folder as gmapsupp.img. If you have an older map, just delete it. You cannot activate 2 maps of the same geographical region simultaneously.
Lean not on your own understanding

Steppenwolf
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 am
GPS: Garmin 60csx
Contact:

Re: Newbie Guide Part 5

#9 Post by Steppenwolf » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:54 am

I followed the 'other' set of instructions to copy the file into \Map.

I kinda figured that i should copy it into \Garmin, and delete the old file. So i see the new map now.

Thanks guys for all the help and support! Really appreciate it.

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
Posts: 2075
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:44 pm
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Contact:

Re: Newbie Guide Part 5

#10 Post by jasonlee » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:06 pm

Steppenwolf wrote:I followed the 'other' set of instructions to copy the file into \Map.

I kinda figured that i should copy it into \Garmin, and delete the old file. So i see the new map now.

Thanks guys for all the help and support! Really appreciate it.
Good that it works for you now.

\Map only works for the newer GPSes - the 2xxx and 1xxx range. For older 3-digit models and all handhelds, you can only use \Garmin and if in the SD card, the only filename that is recognised is gmapsupp.img
Lean not on your own understanding

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests