Download & use Mapsource for your error reporting

Post and upload your tracks, waypoints, error reports and feedbacks HERE (ADVANCED USERS)

Moderators: Moderators, Mappers

Forum rules
POSTING FEEDBACK
You can post feedback via the forum. When you post a feedback, just ensure that your feedback goes to the right locality. That's it! Thanks for your support!
trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx, 10X, Nuvi3597LMT, Kenwood DNX9170S

Download & use Mapsource for your error reporting

#1 Post by trajet2b » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:23 am

See also http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... rce_viewer describing two methods for downloading Mapsource ...
(1) Downloading Mapsource & Trainings Center software (described here).
(2) Free Mapsource (latest update - no need prior installation) by running MAIN.msi before Setup.exe (without requiring Traninings Center software).
-sabre23t =^.^= 20jul08

-------------------------
Warning. Current Mapsource v16.4.1 is not compatible with Malsingmaps v2.28 and earlier mapsets. Please use Malsingmaps v2.29 and later mapsets. Otherwise use older Mapsource version v16.3.7 or Antyong's workaround viewtopic.php?p=102425#p102425 .
-sabre23t =^.^= 28aug08

-------------------------
It would be good for members to get Mapsource and to indicate which map version you are on when submitting for error report or POI submission.

How to get your Mapsource.

This is a work around in getting your free Mapsource.

(1) First download the Trainings Center Software.
Click Here

Run the installer. This installs a basemap in the mapsource directory.
Make sure the Training Center then runs okay, else you'll face bimmer's problem.

(2) Now that the directory is there, get your Mapsource update.

MapSource software version 6.13.6 as of December 4, 2007
Click Here

Please read up the Mapsource manual on how to use it.
Alternatively you can go to Garmin site to download the tutorial.
Click Here

(3) Then get your open Malsingmap installer version
GM-Mysin Mapsource Installer (Open)
Click Here

and/or

GM-Borneo Mapsource Installer (Open)
Click Here

Important Note: you cannot use the all-in one gmapsupp version in Mapsource. Must use the Installer version.

(4) Then you can start providing tracks/POIs/reports.

Eg to send a report. In this example, we should able to turn right from Choa Chu Kang Rd to Teck Whye Ave.

Mark it and save as .gdb file. Attached the .gdb file together with your postings with some notes on what is the problem.
You can have as many areas to be reported in that one .gdb file. This way the mapper can know the exact area that your are reporting about.

Updated with some numbering formatting and included bimmer's problem --sabre23t 30aug07
Last edited by sabre23t on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Reason: updated thread on compatibility with Mapsource v16.4.1

duckstormz
GPS: Nuvi 300

Re: Use Mapsource for your error reporting.

#2 Post by duckstormz » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:02 am

trajet2b wrote:It would be good for members to get Mapsource and to indicate which map version you are on when submitting for error report or POI submission.

How to get your Mapsource.

This is a work around in getting your free Mapsource.
First download the Trainings Center Software.
Click Here

Run the installer. This installs a basemap in the mapsource directory.

Now that the directory is there, get your Mapsource update.

MapSource software version 6.13.0.1 Beta as of August 3, 2007
(The latest beta version is working fine but if you do not like betas, download the other released version below)
Click Here

or

MapSource software version 6.12.4 as of May 17, 2007
Click Here
I don't have mapsource when i purchased my unit. Does this mean that by downloading Trainings Center Software and MapSource update software version 6.12.4 and installing them, I would have "Mapsource" installed? :-? If yes....cool!

sabre23t
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android

#3 Post by sabre23t » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:46 am

duckstormz wrote:I don't have mapsource when i purchased my unit. Does this mean that by downloading Trainings Center Software and MapSource update software version 6.12.4 and installing them, I would have "Mapsource" installed? :-? If yes....cool!
Yes, see Where_to_get_MapSource_viewer especially section 4, bullet 2. 8-) For now at least. :-#
The world is MyMaps!

vincent829
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin GPS 10x with N82

#4 Post by vincent829 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:14 pm

What if the road is not exist in the map? In that case the route tool is not function properly. This happen especially a new site is up?
What I do is drive and tracking the road, highlight it with strong line in paint, upload the gdb file
:-k
Garmin GPS10x with N73 Music Edition

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#5 Post by trajet2b » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:54 pm

vincent829 wrote:What if the road is not exist in the map? In that case the route tool is not function properly. This happen especially a new site is up?
What I do is drive and tracking the road, highlight it with strong line in paint, upload the gdb file
i see you are using 10X, set your GMXT recording to Most Often and display At GPS Location.

After that use Mapsource to download tracks from GMXT, you will see your newly recorded tracks on the uncharted maps.

This is just an example.

mazdakaki
GPS: nuvi660

#6 Post by mazdakaki » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:16 pm

trajet2b wrote: i see you are using 10X, set your GMXT recording to Most Often and display At GPS Location.

After that use Mapsource to download tracks from GMXT, you will see your newly recorded tracks on the uncharted maps.

This is just an example.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/t ... etrack.gif
What about when using nuvi660, and the track is not shown in the GPSr. How do i map the POI?

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#7 Post by trajet2b » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:40 pm

mazdakaki wrote:What about when using nuvi660, and the track is not shown in the GPSr. How do i map the POI?
i know it's quite a pain but you can contribute by using your My Favourite.

For a small 'tracking' if it is a fairly straight road can be done. I have heard our Penang member 'track' with a Nuvi.

eg. x(waypoint marked as start) to x(waypoint marked as end)

effectively the start and end gps coordinates translate as a straight line between the 2 points.

Or if you see some problem with the routings to a certain junctions, you can remember it and then simulate in Mapsource or mark as a waypoint, then you zoomed in to the area in Mapsource to simulate the error.

Easiest would be submitting POIs.

vincent829
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin GPS 10x with N82

#8 Post by vincent829 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:33 pm

trajet2b wrote:
vincent829 wrote:What if the road is not exist in the map? In that case the route tool is not function properly. This happen especially a new site is up?
i see you are using 10X, set your GMXT recording to Most Often and display At GPS Location.

This is just an example.
Thanks, this is exactly what I doing. :thumbsup:
Garmin GPS10x with N73 Music Edition

singawon
Elite
Elite
GPS: XXX

#9 Post by singawon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:09 am

hi bro trajet2b, can i trouble you with some questions about mapsource which i can't figure out.

I have installed the following in my laptop...
1. Mapsource v 6.12.4
2. GM-malaysia/singapore v1.26
3. GM-North Borneo v1.13
4. PC Basemap 2

For symbian Phone
Now when i send informations(waypoints,routes,map,track...) to mapsource, it caputure the information but prompt that "some maps could not be opened because the following Mapsource products are not installed : Road & HDB POIs symbiam"

And i cannot send back this info back to device because i will not able to do a road name search then.... :-k

Any ideas where i go wrong??

For window base phone

When i send info to mapsource, only the maps is noted, the track,routes,& waypoints are not recorded(Not found by Mapsource), and it also prompt "some maps could not be opened because the following Mapsource products are not installed : Road & HDB POIs symbiam"

And also i cannot send back this info back to device because i will not able to do a road name search then.... :-k

somethings is not right but just can't figure out what???

Please help :prayer: :tq:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#10 Post by trajet2b » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:25 am

singawon, did you also download the Road Names POI and HDB POI and then use M3 to create the Mapsource Mapset for the two?