Has anyone gone down this path?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mkgmap

sabre23t
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android

Re: Getting Garmin Maps from the OpenStreetMap project

#2 Post by sabre23t » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:17 am

I had a brief look at it previously. That mkgmap program that automatically converts OSM maps into Garmin maps is certainly interesting, and I'll surely try it sometime in the future. O:)

However, practically you may find it easier to find ready compiled Garmin maps of various countries in the world on Mapcenter or Mapcenter2.
The world is MyMaps!

sabre23t
Councillor
Councillor

#3 Post by sabre23t » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:56 pm

Palmdoc, have you gone further on getting Garmin maps from OSM? :-k

I've just been browsing OSM WikiProject_Malaysia and noticed only two OSM editors working on Malaysia Map. :-#

I've also noticed some discussion about Malsingmaps on their OSM-Talk mailing list archive recent.
The world is MyMaps!

nyem
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: nuvi

#4 Post by nyem » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:21 pm

Output from mkgmap is still non-routable :thumbsdown: plus other small hiccups

sabre23t
Councillor
Councillor

#5 Post by sabre23t » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:02 pm

nyem wrote:Output from mkgmap is still non-routable :thumbsdown: plus other small hiccups
Thanks for the feedback and link to http://forum.openstreetmap.org Garmin maps thread. I noticed you've been adding tracks and editing the OSM map around Klang Valley under http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php ... t_Malaysia.

I also noticed there is an OSM mailing list for "routing" at http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/routing/ active since Sep07. Perhaps we'll see routable Garmin maps from OSM via mkgmap soon enough eh? Do you know whether anyone had gone from OSM data to MP format to routable IMG via MapCenter2 routable compiler?
The world is MyMaps!

nyem
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#6 Post by nyem » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:09 pm

I'm not aware if anyone has tried that before, maybe I'll give it a shot. Routing on OSM data looks promising as seen here with pyroute and I guess it's a matter of time before someone ported it to other platforms, or for existing navigation software to be able to import OSM data.

turbosnail
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Vista B&W, Vista HCx

#7 Post by turbosnail » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:47 pm

Tried to run JOSM on Java 1.6 without any success. It keeps on saying Java 1.5 is required. Oh well... ](*,)

Time to hit the sack. Will try to do it the next day.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how it works. This is the third method to create Garmin map after Mapedit and Mapman programs.

nyem
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#8 Post by nyem » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:05 pm

Managed to create routable maps from openstreetmap.org data by following the guide at http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... p_Routable and using cgpsmapper personal edition (trial). But my attempt at using mapcenter2 has been unsuccessful. Now I'm not really sure if I understand the format that mapcenter2 accepts.
Attachments
60038447.img
(152.5 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

turbosnail
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Vista B&W, Vista HCx

#9 Post by turbosnail » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:15 pm

nyem wrote:Managed to create routable maps from openstreetmap.org data by following the guide at http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... p_Routable and using cgpsmapper personal edition (trial). But my attempt at using mapcenter2 has been unsuccessful. Now I'm not really sure if I understand the format that mapcenter2 accepts.
Care to share your mp file???

sabre23t
Councillor
Councillor

#10 Post by sabre23t » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:39 pm

turbosnail wrote:
nyem wrote:But my attempt at using mapcenter2 has been unsuccessful.
Care to share your mp file???
Ahem it's there in nyem's mapcenter2 link, http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/mapview.php?id=1418 . Click on the Source: 202KB.

(1) Nyem, I open your 60036003.mp in GPSMapEdit 1.0.36.0 and run "Tools > Verify Map". That gives quite a few errors; "Too close nodes" and "Routable polyline intersects self". These may stop compilation on Mapcenter2. Try cleaning up those and sending to Mapcenter2 for recompilation.

(2) Also, "File > Message Log" shows 29 errors, including "Can't parse type", "Polyline element has zero length", "Polyline element has just 1 distinguishable point(s)", and "Object does not contain any point.". Those are warnings. Best to clean them too, just in case.

(3) Also, "File > Map Properties > Statistics" shows you have 13560 nodes, of which 10749 are routing graph nodes. Looking in GPSMapEdit with show routing nodes ("N" mode), I see you have too many "blue" nodes (dead end or two polylines node). You should have "blue" nodes only at dead end junctions. Though I don't think these excess nodes would stop compilation.

(4) When, I do "Tools > Remove Routing Nodes" then "Tools > Generate Routing Graph > Using Coinciding Nodes of Polylines", the resulting MP still contains 13560 nodes, but only 2640 are routing graph nodes.

(5) After doing step (4), I usually then scan the file for extraneous "yellow" nodes. I see them near "Persiaran" over Klang river (and a few other places). Those usually indicate "overlapping duplicate roads". Yes, deleting one road shows the other one beneath it.

Hope that helps. 8-)
The world is MyMaps!