Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: The Nuvi 800 Series
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:57 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: ][::GRMN::][
Check it out guyz !! :thumbsup:

Nuvi 5000
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=11547

Nuvi 850
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13762

Nuvi 880
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=11545#

I was unable to compare it as I cannot access the "Compare This" page...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:03 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: 60csx, 3790T
Wow cool!

But the prices are not so cool :$gone: :mrgreen:

Looks like the main addition is voice recognition. Surely this will make a search much faster? Wonder if it will work as well as it sounds in a practical situation, with all the background noise eg. passengers, engine, music, etc. :-k

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:54 pm 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
Thats pretty cool to jump ahead of the 7xx series... I'll ask my dear Retiree friend (still in the US Bush :mrgreen: ) to be on the lookout for me... I forgot him TOTALLY when I was looking up on my 650 then B4 I flew to Thailand... next time, I will get it direct from my Washington source.

Here's additional info gathered>>:

Quote:
Speak commands and get on-demand travel info from MSN® Direct with nüvi 880. This widescreen navigator features speech recognition (SR), preloaded maps, hands-free calling and an FM transmitter — plus real-time local weather, traffic, movie times, gas prices, stock information, local news and events. Like the rest of the wide nüvi 800-series, you can navigate with your voice for on-the-go convenience.
Speak Commands

nüvi 880 not only tells you where to turn but listens to your spoken commands. With nüvi’s innovative speech recognition, you safely control nüvi’s interface with your voice — allowing you to keep both hands on the wheel. Simply press the button on the remote (which attaches to the steering wheel) to activate speech recognition and begin speaking menu options. nüvi even recognizes shortcut phrases for popular functions. Tell nüvi "Find Address" and speak an address to start navigating.
Get Enhanced MSN Direct

With next-generation dynamic content from MSN Direct, nüvi 880 is one resourceful personal travel assistant. Using the included receiver and free trial service¹ to MSN Direct, you can check the weather, avoid traffic backups, compare local gas prices, get enhanced movie listings, stock information, news and local events when you travel with your unit. Even plan trips from the convenience of your computer, via Windows Live Local, and wirelessly send locations to nüvi 880.
See More

With nüvi 880's widescreen display, you'll always get the big picture. View map detail, driving directions, photos and more in bright, brilliant color. Its sunlight-readable, 4.3-inch display is easy to read — from any direction.
Navigate With Ease

nüvi 880 comes ready to go right out of the box with preloaded City Navigator® NT street maps and millions of points of interest (POIs) such as hotels, restaurants, fuel stations, ATMs and more. Speak a menu option or touch the color screen to enter a destination, and nüvi takes you there with 2D or 3D maps and turn-by-turn voice directions. It even announces the name of exits and streets so you never have to take your eyes off the road. In addition, nüvi 880 accepts custom points of interest, such as school zones and safety cameras and lets you set proximity alerts to warn you of upcoming POIs.
Where Am I?

Keep track of yourself and your car with nüvi 880. Just speak or tap "Where Am I?" to find the closest hospitals, police stations, fuel stations, nearest address and intersection. Also see your exact latitude and longitude coordinates. nüvi 880 even remembers where you parked. It automatically marks your position when you remove it from the windshield mount, so you can navigate with nüvi on foot and find your way back to your vehicle. Perfect for unfamiliar spots and crowded lots such as amusement parks, stadiums and malls.
Plan Ahead
nüvi 880 includes advanced navigational features to take the worry out of traveling. With route planning you can save 10 routes, specify via points and preview simulated turns on its wide screen. In addition, nüvi 880 automatically sorts multiple destinations to provide an efficient route for errands, deliveries or sales calls. It also displays speed limits for highways and Interstates. A trip log provides an electronic bread crumb trail of up to 10,000 points, so you can see where you've been on the map.
Make Hands-free Calls

Talk about worry-free driving. For hands-free calling, nüvi 880 integrates Bluetooth® wireless technology with a built-in microphone and speaker. Just pair it with your compatible Bluetooth phone and talk hands-free through the 880 while staying focused on the road. Simply speak or dial numbers with nüvi's touchscreen keypad to make a call.
Take It With You

nüvi 880's high-sensitivity internal (non flip-up) antenna gives it a sleeker, thinner design than other gps units, making it easy to slip in your pocket or purse. Its rechargeable lithium-ion battery makes it convenient for navigation by car or on foot.
Go Beyond Navigation

Navigation is just the beginning. nüvi 880 includes many “must have” entertainment and travel tools including MP3 player, audio book player (subscription to Audible.com required), JPEG picture viewer, currency converters, games, alarm clock and more. With the included wireless FM transmitter², you can hear audio, including voice prompts, MP3s and audio books, through your vehicle's stereo. It also includes optional MSN® Direct and comes with Garmin Lock™, an anti-theft feature, and configurable vehicle icons that let you select car-shaped graphics to show your location on the map. Optional plug-in microSD cards let you add additional features to enhance your travel experience including language translation and detailed travel guides. Our SaversGuide® provides information on nearby merchants offering discounts to customize your nüvi whether you’re traveling or close to home.

nüvi 880: At your command.

Hotels-4-yr Budget ~ Rent-A-Car ~ Invest in Resort Condos & Villas ~ Investment Tours ~ Open-A-FREE AP account
Image ~ Tournaments << Black Mountain Golf & Realty >> Animation – Interested? Contact at this >> Email.
>> WiKi Smart move or >> WiKi Basics or >> WiKi on PDA + BT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:06 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

GPS: iPhone 5, Nuvi 1250
I understand that in places like Korea, their GPS systems are way, way ahead. They had voice recognition some time ago.

Anyway, from the way Nuvi TTS pronounces some of our local road names, for Kg Java, you will have to speak "Kilogram Java".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:19 pm 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
tks wrote:
I understand that in places like Korea, their GPS systems are way, way ahead. They had voice recognition some time ago.

Anyway, from the way Nuvi TTS pronounces some of our local road names, for Kg Java, you will have to speak "Kilogram Java".

Hahaaa...thats a header & a good point to note...something for the software language Engineers to re consider the language programming.

We have with TomTom the new service that allows us to record our voices albeit spoken in English or Dutch and when in Dutch, it will recognize the local language and adapt appropriately... when one can speak into (recording YOUR own spoken voice), that would be a useful feature for the unit to recognize you with Hokkien or Tamil or Malay upon being recorded. You can record your favouriteG/F's sweet voice or maybe your BH prefer to be heard at every corner you take...LoL or Jag can be the DJ for all of you... doing his "Dondang Sayang" karaoke stint... make a request and take a digicorder the next time at the next GG swing meet!!!

I can't imagine how the Eurasian intonation is looked upon... :wink: >> perhaps like some ChapCheng sound??? :rock:

Hotels-4-yr Budget ~ Rent-A-Car ~ Invest in Resort Condos & Villas ~ Investment Tours ~ Open-A-FREE AP account
Image ~ Tournaments << Black Mountain Golf & Realty >> Animation – Interested? Contact at this >> Email.
>> WiKi Smart move or >> WiKi Basics or >> WiKi on PDA + BT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:00 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: GPSMAP-60C, nuvi 300, nuvi 750, eTrex Legend, Holux M1000
Nuvi 880 with speech recognition! Now you can talk to your Nuvi :shock:

CES: Garmin Unveils Four New PNDs, Forerunner 405

Jan 4, 2008
GPS World

GPS electronics giant Garmin got the jump on CES on Thursday, unveiling a host of new products, most of which are centered around its PND business.

The annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is slated to take place next week in Las Vegas, Nevada; it has become a premiere venue for debuting new consumer hardware, or giving sneak peeks of devices coming later in the year. Among the gadgets Garmin will unveil at the show are:

the Nuvi 880, featuring speech recognition and control with a 4.3-inch display. Once activated, the user can manipulate controls by speaking the words that correspond to buttons that are on the touchscreen display. This PND also has Bluetooth, music file playback, and dynamic content from MSN Direct, including: traffic conditions, fuel prices, weather reports, enhanced movie listings, local events, news and stocks. Three months of free MSN Direct service are included with the purchase of the Nuvi 880. Owners can re-subscribe for $49.95 a year, or a one-time charge of $129.95. The 880 will be available in Q2 2008; it will retail for a suggested $1,071.41.

the Nuvi 780, which is similar to the 880, but without the speech recognition. It is available now and retails for a suggested $964.27

the Nuvi 5000 series, boasting 5.2-inch touchscreen displays. In addition to a number of navigation features and digital music file playback, the 5000-series PNDs feature MSN Direct (in the United States only) or the FM TMC (Traffic Message Channel) traffic receiver. Garmin expects the first in the Nuvi 5000 series to be available in North America in February for a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $799.99. It will be also be available in Europe in Q2.
the Nuvi 260W, which boasts a wide-screen display like the Nuvi 200W and the 250W, which both feature a 4.3-inch display. In addition to navigation and other features offered by other members of the Nuvi 200-series family, the Nuvi 260W automatically calls out street names. It also includes a built-in picture viewer, calculator, currency converter, unit converter and world clock. The 260W is also compatible with Garmin's line of content such as the Garmin Travel Guide and Garmin Language Guide. It is available now and retails for a suggested $375.

the Forerunner 405, the latest in the company's line of GPS-enabled fitness monitoring and tracking devices. Runners can track their speed, distance, heart rate and location using the 405. By tapping, holding or running a finger along the bezel, they can begin a new workout, access their training history or challenge a Virtual Partner. It is water resistant and can be used outdoors by itself or indoors with an optional foot pod. The 405 incorporates a high-sensitivity GPS receiver—although Garmin declined to name its manufacturer—as well as an optional speed/cadence bike sensor that helps cyclists monitor their pedaling cadence and wheel speed. The suggested pricing for the Forerunner 405 begins at $299; the device will be available sometime in Q1 of this year, according to Garmin.

While most of Garmin's new products may revolve around auto navigation, it hasn't completely neglected its roots; it also unveiled the Colorado series of outdoor GPS devices that will be on display at CES.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:19 am 

GPS: NUVI 200/310
I like the nuvi 800 with speech recognition capability

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:49 am 

GPS: NUVI 200/310
I like the speech recognition feature.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:09 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: GPSMAP-60C, nuvi 300, nuvi 750, eTrex Legend, Holux M1000
Ya.. me think so too. Speech recognition is a very useful feature in an automobile environment. Much safer than taking eyes off the road to type on the screen. As in anything new, the price is very high. At about US$1000, this new feature is rather painful to adopt :$gone: Looks like have to salivate for quite along time more before can think of buying one :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:58 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: 60CSx, 10X
Also how good would the speech recognition be? I am quite dissapointed with speech dialling feature in current new generation phones. They don't work very well.

It would be kinda funny, you see a lone driver, kept shouting something to the Nuvi880 when his speech could not be understood by the unit. :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next