Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:43 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Garmin 200W
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:13 pm 

GPS: Garmin Nuv 200
Hi Guys,
I am a newbie here, interested in GPS sometimes back in Dec 2006 when I was in UK with my family, my bro lent me his Tom Tom GPS and I managed to travel all over London, Cambridge and nearby towns with ease. What a wonderful gadget making my travelling so much fun as well.
Anyway, my brother now wants to give me his UK Garmin 200W.
I am not sure it will work here or not or whether I can download the local maps into the Nuvi 200W. Please advise or help me out, some ideas will be much appreciated. I don't mind paying for the my & sg maps.
Many thanks,
Cheers,
christan

Last edited by sabre23t on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moved to "Garmin Automotive" forum from "General GPS Chat" forum

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Garmin 200W
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:22 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
:welcome: bro ramakristan :welcome: to malsingmaps where all garmin is discussed

Suggest you start off by reading our wiki section and then followed by General references section. You can find all you want there. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:44 pm 

GPS: Garmin Nuv 200
Thanks SilverBeauty,
Will start to read more infos.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:06 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C
Please post any Nuvi 200 issues in the Garmin Automotive thread for Nuvi 200 before Bro Redstorm turns red again.

Post subject: The Nuvi 200W - Part 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:29 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM
This topic is a continuation from the original topic which has been locked.

Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:13 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200W
Been playing with the unit and must say it is pretty user friendly. Haven't out it to the stet yet... but on simulation, I calculated a wierd path instead of the more direct route I'd usually take using SLE/CTE and exit at Balestier. (Woodlands Ave 2 to Whampoa market, it calculated to use BKE, then PIE, exit at Thomson and then go into Balestier rd) Any way to avoid this sort of undesirable routing? Seems to me is might lead to to go in a big round, and can be rather risky when one is totally unfamiliar with the roads like in Malaysia.

My firmware version is only 2.50.... is there a need to upgrade it to the latest, any benefits? Thought I'd leave it alone since the unit seems to be working fine.

Thanks for your inputs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:27 am 
Regular
Regular

GPS: Legend C
dwoon wrote:
Been playing with the unit and must say it is pretty user friendly. Haven't out it to the stet yet... but on simulation, I calculated a wierd path instead of the more direct route I'd usually take using SLE/CTE and exit at Balestier. (Woodlands Ave 2 to Whampoa market, it calculated to use BKE, then PIE, exit at Thomson and then go into Balestier rd) Any way to avoid this sort of undesirable routing? Seems to me is might lead to to go in a big round, and can be rather risky when one is totally unfamiliar with the roads like in Malaysia.

can you check under "NAVIGATION" on your setting of "ROUTE PREFERENCE", and AVOIDANCE. These settings will have an impact on how the GPS do it's route calculation.

Have you installed MAPSOURCE in your PC ?

dwoon wrote:
My firmware version is only 2.50.... is there a need to upgrade it to the latest, any benefits? Thought I'd leave it alone since the unit seems to be working fine.

I did an upgrade, my version is :
- Software version 2.9
- Audio version 2.20
- GPS SW Version : 3.00s

Honestly, I am not exactly sure what's the benefits, but in all software, the later version is usually better. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:38 am 
Regular
Regular

Yup, I've installed mapsource in my PC. In fact, that is how I generate my waypoints as its much easier compared to using the unit. (Also, using the latest map release in my PC to find POIs are easier, as the map in the Nuvi is only the open one :mrgreen: ) Then I get the PC to transfer the waypoints/POIs into the SD card while unit is plugged in.

As for firmware, think I'll leave it alone for the time being till I find that it is inadequate. Don't wanna mess with it and perhaps create a problem when there's none. :lol:

I just tried it this morning to work. It will auto re-calculate when one strays away from its previous calculated path. But still, it will ask me to exit the expressway earlier and snake through the smaller roads instead of what I usually take. :-? (I chose shortest route instead of fastest in this case)

Oh, did you use the suction mount that came with the unit? Is it secure? Where did you stick it to? There's a lack of unobstructed space with meters on the A pillar side, then bottom centre will block the compartment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am 
Regular
Regular

Oh yah... forgot to ask. What's that round red thing with a black plastic backing that came inside the box? :oops: Can't seem to find a use for it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:06 am 
Regular
Regular

GPS: Legend C
dwoon wrote:
As for firmware, think I'll leave it alone for the time being till I find that it is inadequate. Don't wanna mess with it and perhaps create a problem when there's none. :lol:

It's very safe, and idiot proof. All you need is download a small program from Garmin, and install in your PC. With you GPS connected, it will tell you if your system has the latest version, and ask if you want an update.

Remember to backup your original files from your 200W, just in case.

dwoon wrote:
Oh, did you use the suction mount that came with the unit? Is it secure? Where did you stick it to? There's a lack of unobstructed space with meters on the A pillar side, then bottom centre will block the compartment.

The suction mount is damn strong. I put the suction mount (mount alone) is off the centre glove compartment so that it doesn't interfer with the open and closing. Too bad you have your meter cluster there.... :ko:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next