tankahn
GPS: Garmin 76csx

Illegal mapping in China - Fined $10,000 USD

#1 Post by tankahn » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:58 pm

Be warned.

Illegal mapping in China by foreigners on rise
(Xinhua)
Updated: 2007-09-03 14:37

The number of cases involving foreign institutions and individuals conducting illegal surveying and mapping in China has been on the rise in recent years, according to the State Bureau of Surveying and Mapping (SBSM).

In the first six months of this year, local authorities have handled five cases and investigating five others in the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, Shanghai Municipality, and Jiangxi and Jiangsu provinces.

SBSM said most of these foreigners came into the country under the disguise of scientists, tourists, expeditionists, and archaeologists.

These foreign nationals carried out their illegal surveying and mapping with advanced technique and equipment and had obtained a lot of precise information and data on coordinates, topography and geography, which may threaten China's State security, according to the official.

Currently, surveying and mapping authorities of different levels have stepped up their efforts to crack down on this kind of illegal activities, in collaboration with State security and secrecy departments.

According to previous reports, in last year's April, two Japanese scholars were caught on the spot for mapping the coordinates of an airport and water facilities in Hotan of Xinjiang, and later, the two foreigners paid a fine of 80,000 yuan (US$10,250).

In other cases, three Japanese were fined 40,000 yuan (US$5,260) in the first half of this year for illegal surveying in Shanghai Municipality and Jiangxi Province. The SBSM confiscated their surveying equipment and records.

Last year, the Ministry of Land and Resources issued a statute to prohibit foreigners from conducting land surveying, aerial photography, mapping of administrative borders, and drawing navigational maps.

According to the regulations, foreign institutions and individuals intending to engage in surveying and mapping in China must obtain official approval from the central government, and local governments are responsible for supervision over their activities.

China's Law on Surveying and Mapping states that foreigners who want to do surveying and mapping in the country must work together with a local partner, and their activities must not involve State secrets or jeopardize national security.

The results of these foreigners' surveying and mapping belong to China, and must not be brought and transmitted abroad without official permission by Chinese authorities, according to the law.

Foreigners who have illegally surveyed, collected and published geographical information on China will be severely punished according to law.

waypoint
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Trimble Ensign.Foretrex 101/401.Etrex H/Vista HCx.Nuvi 255W/205.NOKIA E72.iPad 64GB 3G.

Re: Illegal mapping in China - Fined $10,000 USD

#2 Post by waypoint » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:24 pm

BOHICA! You mean the very same fake-meister country that made all the fake stuff and this...?
Attachments
P9010213 (Large).JPG
P9010213 (Large).JPG (119.14 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
P9010215 (Large).JPG
P9010215 (Large).JPG (133.3 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
"Heroes are born when bullets fly, when the earth explodes, when cannons roar, When Trumpets Fade."

tankahn
GPS: Garmin 76csx

#3 Post by tankahn » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:36 pm

Scary man. My friend was thinking of doing his favorite bicycle trail for Beijing city. Might as well warn the rest of us. Incidentally its fun to use GPS in China. They are curious since most of them cannot afford one and like most Chinese like to collect lists eg speed of bullets (all of them kill people), how far, how tall etc. I would tell them things like their exact elevation or distance to the opposite side of the lake.

lost4ever
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 370 & 765

#4 Post by lost4ever » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:46 pm

Hilarious, Waypoint! :rofl:
Citius Altius Fortius

KeyWest
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Handy

#5 Post by KeyWest » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:39 pm

wow.... reading the directions on bro waypoint's pic
makes me even more confused on how to use the product :ko: :ko:

Can even "f**k" with the cloth :mrgreen:

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#6 Post by bartmp8 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:53 pm

RE; 10000 use - the dish cloth,

The sad thing is - if you run the words thru microsoft spellchecker, it probably
goes thru without much correction. So if microsoft says OK then its proper
English to the Ah Chans. One hell of a confusing product.

Bart

topoguy
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin GPS 60 CSx

#7 Post by topoguy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:53 pm

haiya! all this obsession with state security is bull!

I don't have to be in China to create topo map of Xinjiang or wherever PRC govt deems sensiitive. all i need do is download Digital Elevation Model data courtesy USGS seamless site :mrgreen: then do some magic with DEM2topo, and other software to author custom topo maps.

so to my Govt of Malaysia, I dare say straight in your face: give me all Malaysia topo maps, not the unrestricted topo crap Jupem sells for RM10 \:D/

scoobygl
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 300, Etax Legend.

#8 Post by scoobygl » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:45 pm

topoguy wrote:haiya! all this obsession with state security is bull!

I don't have to be in China to create topo map of Xinjiang or wherever PRC govt deems sensiitive. all i need do is download Digital Elevation Model data courtesy USGS seamless site :mrgreen: then do some magic with DEM2topo, and other software to author custom topo maps.

so to my Govt of Malaysia, I dare say straight in your face: give me all Malaysia topo maps, not the unrestricted topo crap Jupem sells for RM10 \:D/

=D> =D> =D>

mhafizhandi
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 1350, PPC + 51CH GPS

#9 Post by mhafizhandi » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:06 am

So we can no longer use GPS'es to find directions in China? China so big, even people do get lost in their own country needless to say in China. Wad? Use Paper Maps still? Tourists are usually targets of being accused of.
waypoint wrote:BOHICA! You mean the very same fake-meister country that made all the fake stuff and this...?
Looking at waypoints pics can tell how many chinamans become businessman.. My advice is, just becareful when u buy things online esp in Yahoo! or any other auctions sites. Alot of these chinaman scammers sell their things which dosen't exists.. Its best if u could read where the ratings came from before buying em'.

jeremaze
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
GPS: Holux & GARMIN

#10 Post by jeremaze » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:03 am

I understand every single word in the picture, but i'm too confused when those words make sentences. f~k also come out...