Colorado Series

Discussions on Garmin eTrex, GPSMap60, GPSMap76, Rino & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

Triton
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: GPSMAP-60C, nuvi 300, nuvi 750, eTrex Legend, Holux M1000

New Colorado series from Garmin for handheld/outdoor users

#1 Post by Triton » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:11 am

WOW!!

CES: Garmin Colorado Features Groundspeak's Wherigo Software

Jan 4, 2008
GPS World

Groundspeak's Wherigo, a platform for creating and playing back location-based multimedia in the real world, is now available on Garmin's latest generation of handheld GPS devices, dubbed Colorado, the company said Thursday.

Groundspeak is the same company behind the Geocaching.com Web site, as well as sister sites Waymarking.com and Wherigo.com.

Garmin unveiled a host of new navigation devices this week ahead of the Consumer Electronics Show, slated for Las Vegas, Nevada, next week. Among the many PNDS it is rolling out, the company is also debuting its Colorado series of handheld GPS devices for outdoor, marine and fitness enthusiasts. The Colorado series devices feature Garmin's Rock 'n Roller wheel that enables users to move among the devices' functions with just one hand, the company says.

As for the Wherigo platform, Wherigo authors can build interactive adventure games, historical tours and other activities for Wherigo players to enjoy outdoors, according to Groundspeak. Wherigo combines physical and virtual elements, overlaying story lines and useful information onto a real-world background, according to the company. Using a Wherigo-enabled GPS device, players can visit physical locations, take and use virtual items, interact with virtual characters and solve real-world puzzles, according to the company.

"Wherigo was created to be the next generation platform for location-based entertainment," said Jeremy Irish, Groundspeak president and CEO. "The partnership between Groundspeak and Garmin demonstrates a commitment to delivering game-changing technology for customers. We hope that Garmin's adoption of the Wherigo platform will inspire GPS enthusiasts around the world to create new experiences for others to share."

The Garmin Colorado also includes a comprehensive geocaching application supporting Geocaching.com's geocache file format. It also boasts a high-sensitivity GPS receiver, shaded-relief and satellite imagery mapping, and vibrant color 3-inch high-res screen, Garmin says. It can also accommodate the wireless exchange of tracks, waypoints and geocaches between units.

The Colorado series includes:
  • the Colorado 400t, that gives hikers a 3D elevation perspective and comes preloaded with U.S. topographic maps.
  • the Colorado 400i, that offers anglers shoreline details, depth contours and boat ramps for U.S. inland lakes and navigable rivers.
  • the Colorado 400c , that provides chart coverage for the coastal U.S. and Bahamas.
  • the Colorado 300, that features a worldwide basemap with shaded relief.
The Colorado devices weigh in at 7.3 ounces and have 15 hours of life on two AA batteries. They also include an electronic compass, barometric altimeter, photo viewer and a Secure Digital flash memory slot for expansion. The Colorado 300 has a suggested retail price of $499. The Colorado 400t, Colorado 400i and Colorado 400c have a suggested retail price of $599 each.

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

Garmin Colorado 400t Review

#2 Post by Redstorm » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Read the comprehensive review of the Garmin Colorado 400t.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

waypoint
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Trimble Ensign.Foretrex 101/401.Etrex H/Vista HCx.Nuvi 255W/205.NOKIA E72.iPad 64GB 3G.

Re: Garmin Colorado 400t Review

#3 Post by waypoint » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:49 pm

Jeez, Redstorm! You had to, didn't you? #-o

I'm sold on it... Really bad... :mrgreen:

There goes my Performance Bonus this coming April. One last niggle before I'm totally 'screwed over' into sinking moolah on this unit... WILL IT BE ABLE TO USE OUR MAPS??!! There was no mention whatsoever of it being able to use 'legacy' Mapsource City Navigator Maps.

BR,
w a y
"Heroes are born when bullets fly, when the earth explodes, when cannons roar, When Trumpets Fade."

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

#4 Post by Redstorm » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:07 pm

Good for you, bro waypoint. Aiyah, this unit will probably cost you only a portion of your PB this April, lah. :mrgreen: The only way to check whether it can take our maps is to write to Garmin as I doubt you can check with our local dealers as since it is a very new model and may not even have hit our shores yet.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

baba
Tracker
GPS: 60csx / 10x + GMXT / Holux M-1000 / GMPC on 901eeepc / Garmin-Asus M10

#5 Post by baba » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:26 pm

waypoint wrote:... WILL IT BE ABLE TO USE OUR MAPS??!! There was no mention whatsoever of it being able to use 'legacy' Mapsource City Navigator Maps.
Quote from the 400t review
Garmin sells additional maps on SD data cards, or you can use your own data card and purchase Garmin's maps on DVD and transfer the maps via a PC.....does this mean using Mapsource.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#6 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:55 pm

baba wrote:
waypoint wrote:... WILL IT BE ABLE TO USE OUR MAPS??!! There was no mention whatsoever of it being able to use 'legacy' Mapsource City Navigator Maps.
Quote from the 400t review
Garmin sells additional maps on SD data cards, or you can use your own data card and purchase Garmin's maps on DVD and transfer the maps via a PC.....does this mean using Mapsource.
Should be

turbosnail
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Vista B&W, Vista HCx

#7 Post by turbosnail » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:37 pm

waypoint wrote:Jeez, Redstorm! You had to, didn't you? #-o

I'm sold on it... Really bad... :mrgreen:

There goes my Performance Bonus this coming April. One last niggle before I'm totally 'screwed over' into sinking moolah on this unit... WILL IT BE ABLE TO USE OUR MAPS??!! There was no mention whatsoever of it being able to use 'legacy' Mapsource City Navigator Maps.

BR,
w a y
I checked Garmin website. Should not be a problem since Colorado 300 accepts CN Thailand.

Colorado 300
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=11019

Colorado 400c
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=11024

Colorado 400i
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=11023

Colorado 400t
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=11022

mohicans
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: GPSmap60csx & External Antenna(Track&Nav),Nokia E90+GMXT(Nav&Track)

#8 Post by mohicans » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:58 pm

..to just browse at Colarado 400T..oredi 'water liew liew'!! =P~ =P~ ..in this world is always full of temptations!!...why laa!! :cry:
"Actus Non Facit Reum Nisi Mens Sit Rea".."An Act Of A Person Does Not Make Himself Guilty Of A Crime Unless His Mind Be Also Guilty"(Les Legum Beclarius-LLb)

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx, 10X, Nuvi3597LMT, Kenwood DNX9170S

#9 Post by trajet2b » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:08 pm

unless you are using it in the US, i don't see any point to get the 400 series, Colorado 300 should be enough to be use outside of USA.

And yes although the 400 series came preloaded with US topo/US Blue Chart type maps, all the Colorado series have the Ability to Add Maps as shown in their specifications.

mohicans
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: GPSmap60csx & External Antenna(Track&Nav),Nokia E90+GMXT(Nav&Track)

#10 Post by mohicans » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:11 pm

..any models will do Bro Trajet2b! :mrgreen: ...I wish I could own one! :mrgreen:
"Actus Non Facit Reum Nisi Mens Sit Rea".."An Act Of A Person Does Not Make Himself Guilty Of A Crime Unless His Mind Be Also Guilty"(Les Legum Beclarius-LLb)