SLA Garmin map v Malsingmap

Discussions on Garmin maps by other parties, commercial or otherwise.

Moderator: Moderators

Lostboy48
GPS: Garmin NUVI 670

SLA Garmin map v Malsingmap

#1 Post by Lostboy48 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:40 pm

I am a newbie and I succeeded to download the Malsingmap for my used Garmin that I bought. However, I see that Eastgear offers a SLA Garmin map.
I would like to know if anyone here has the SLA Garmin maps in their Garmin GPS systems and would recommend it over the MalSingMaps. I understand the search function of using postal codes is avail in the SLA maps. But apart from that is there any other advantages like the quality of the graphics etc?

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

Re: SLA Garmin map v Malsingmap

#2 Post by Redstorm » Fri May 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Lostboy48 wrote:I am a newbie and I succeeded to download the Malsingmap for my used Garmin that I bought. However, I see that Eastgear offers a SLA Garmin map.
I would like to know if anyone here has the SLA Garmin maps in their Garmin GPS systems and would recommend it over the MalSingMaps. I understand the search function of using postal codes is avail in the SLA maps. But apart from that is there any other advantages like the quality of the graphics etc?
AFAIK, the SLA map is not a standalone map. On its own, it can't work on your device. It is like an overlay with postal codes and addresses and need to be used with another map.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

Lostboy48
GPS: Garmin NUVI 670

#3 Post by Lostboy48 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:10 pm

Redstorm wrote:
AFAIK, the SLA map is not a standalone map. On its own, it can't work on your device. It is like an overlay with postal codes and addresses and need to be used with another map.
Oh its not a standalone? They are charging $59.
This is from the site -

Official SLA-Garmin maps by Eastgear (100% postal code + address)
The official SLA-Garmin map licenced from Singapore Land Authority (SLA) by EastGear contains 100% Address and Postal Code.
With the SLA-Garmin map, you will be able to utilise your Garmin GPS to the fulless and get to your desired destination every time.
The SLA-Garmin maps can co-exist with your exiting map(s) as it is preloaded on a Micro SD Card.

Frustrated with your Garmin device purchased with the promise of having Singapore maps but unable to find simple addresses or inaccurate locations of addresses?
The official SLA-Garmin map licenced from Singapore Land Authority (SLA) by EastGear contains 100% Address and Postal Code.
With the SLA-Garmin map, you will be able to utilise your Garmin GPS to the fulless and get to your desired destination every time.
The SLA-Garmin maps can co-exist with your exiting map(s) as it is preloaded on a Micro SD Card.

Anyway, I am just looking for advice whether its worth the money or its a white elephant. So far I had used Holux for a couple of months and found it to be wrong in how it routes the trip. Often going in the opposite direction. So hence I thought to try the Garmin but its interface looks a lot like comic graphics. Wondering if the SLA map on Garmin is better in its graphics as well as being more accurate in its routing of directions.

Thanks.

KoolBlue
GPS: NIL

#4 Post by KoolBlue » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:26 am

I have the same question too. Can the SLA Garmin Map by East Gear be used on a Nuvi 1460 bought from Navicom?

This SLA Garmin Map is pre-loaded on the Nuvi 1460 from East Gear. http://www.eastgear.com/sla-garmin-map- ... vices.html

samula
GPS: Garmin

#5 Post by samula » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:45 am

SLA postal code directory was relavant in the past because the postal code directory for the official Garmin map was lousy. Nowadays, the official Garmin map has a comprehensive postal code directory so the SLA postal code directory is no longer needed.

turbodrag
GPS: Garmin

#6 Post by turbodrag » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:38 am

So the verdict is that it is not worth buying the SLA Garmin map? Just stick to the existing preloaded garmin map?

Am currently using the nuvi 205W.