Anyone been to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island?

Take a break from GPS related topics. Share a joke or just chit chat.

Moderator: Moderators

lost_on_earth
GPS: eTrex Vista HCx

Anyone been to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island?

#1 Post by lost_on_earth » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi,

Anyone been to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island and mapped out the route?

Thanks in advance.

:tq:
It may sound absurd, but don't be naive...Even Heroes have the right to bleed...
I may be disturbed, but won't you concede...Even Heroes have the right to dream but

It's not easy to be me

tyongchi
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 660
Vista HCx

Re: Anyone been to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island?

#2 Post by tyongchi » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:45 pm

Being to Adelaide a few years back w/o GPS. Roads are rather easy to navigate. GPS will be a bonus. Try staying at those cottages - very nice. http://www.southaustralia.com/

lost_on_earth

#3 Post by lost_on_earth » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:21 pm

tyongchi wrote:Being to Adelaide a few years back w/o GPS. Roads are rather easy to navigate. GPS will be a bonus. Try staying at those cottages - very nice. http://www.southaustralia.com/
Thanks bro. I have been studying the map using Google Earth. Seems easy. But I thought a GPS will take the navigation stress out of me so I can admire the scenaries. :mrgreen:

I am planning to do Adelaide City & Glenelg, Victor Harbour, Kangaroo Island, Adelaide Hills and Barossa Valley in 13 days. \:D/

I also hope to track my trip and contribute my map here and some other Australian forum. So I am preparing myself to be proficient with my HCx. hee hee :mrgreen:
It may sound absurd, but don't be naive...Even Heroes have the right to bleed...
I may be disturbed, but won't you concede...Even Heroes have the right to dream but

It's not easy to be me

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum
GPS: Samsung Note 2 :D

#4 Post by naim » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:05 pm

lost_on_earth wrote:Hi,

Anyone been to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island and mapped out the route?

Thanks in advance.

:tq:
Great tour. Straightforward well-signaged road, and scenic some more. Enjoy the views and ignore the gadgets. :mrgreen:
Pls visit my travel pictorials at http://naim.my

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum

#5 Post by naim » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:07 pm

lost_on_earth wrote: I am planning to do Adelaide City & Glenelg, Victor Harbour, Kangaroo Island, Adelaide Hills and Barossa Valley in 13 days. \:D/
Yes, classic tour this. Great views, many things-to-do along easy-to-drive pleasant roads. GPSr not really necessary. :)

tyongchi
Regular
Regular
Vista HCx

#6 Post by tyongchi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:40 pm

I was there for 15 days.

Started w the Town, Adelaide Hills, Clare valley, Barossa, Riverland, Fleurieu Peninsula, McLaren. Not enough time for Kangaroo Island and Flinder's Range.

Planning for next trip, land in Adelaide and drive to Alice Spring

lost_on_earth

#7 Post by lost_on_earth » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:41 pm

Wow! Seems like everyone enjoyed their trip there. hmm...then I shall focus and enjoy my trip then.

But I also wanted to map the place and contribute my mapping here and in Track4Australia. :mrgreen:

It's not easy to be me

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum

#8 Post by naim » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:19 pm

tyongchi wrote: Planning for next trip, land in Adelaide and drive to Alice Spring
Mighty road trip this. Note that Australian road distances are huge and in the outback, petrol stations and amenities (and help) are very far apart. Can be unforgiving too (life and death issue). So do prepare well.

tyongchi
Regular
Regular
Vista HCx

#9 Post by tyongchi » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:58 am

naim wrote:Mighty road trip this. Note that Australian road distances are huge and in the outback, petrol stations and amenities (and help) are very far apart. Can be unforgiving too (life and death issue). So do prepare well.
There are many small towns along the way. Good to experience the desert life style. In our last trip to Adelaide, I drove into Devil's Summit (an abandoned village in Burra region) size abt 100 km². Wow, took 3 hrs to get out and our car skidded (on unsealed road) on one occassion. For some time, we thought we're lost as everything looks the same.

Drive carefully esp on unsealed roads.

rling
Regular
Regular
GPS: HTC Touch Dual, Nokia E61, MTK 32 receiver, Tomtom, iGo & Garmin Mobile XT

#10 Post by rling » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:53 am

lost_on_earth wrote:I am planning to do Adelaide City & Glenelg, Victor Harbour, Kangaroo Island, Adelaide Hills and Barossa Valley in 13 days. \:D/
I live in Adelaide. Easy to drive around, and GPS really only necessary for POI.

City - 1 square mile city centre, and the roads are laid out in a grid, ie miss one turn, and the next will do. City is bordered by aptly names North, East, South and West Terrace.

Barossa - From centre of city, take King William Street (main North south Rd) which later becomes the Main North Road, and follow sign to Kapunda or Nuriootpa and it is a leisurely 90 minute drive to the Barossa Valley. From there, just take whichever winery that takes your fancy, and drink, er I mean taste test, till all the passengers drop. Chateau Yaldarra is worth a visit. Time permitting, drop by the Wispering Wall - a reservoir near Barossa in Williamstown. Follow the signs from Williamstown. You can talk to someone at the other end of the dam without use of mobile phones. The curvature will carry your voice from one end to the other.

Glenelg - Located south west from city. 20 minute drive southwest, along Anzac Highway. This starts from corner of West and South Terrace. At the end of this Highway, you have Glenelg. Parking can be difficult, esp during weekends. Can also take a electric tram from the City Centre to Glenelg.

Victor Harbour - Located south of City. Main route is Main South Road, which you can join from Anzac Highway. 30 minute Drive along Main south Road, (then take the Southern Expressway - a free one way street either northbound or south bound depending on time of day to bypass the traffic on Main south Road) and take a turn at Victor Harbour Road for the 60 minute drive there. If you miss the turn (hugh signboards), the Main South Road will take you all the way to Cape Jervis, where you catch the ferry to Kangaroo Island.

Kangaroo Island - Take Main South Rd all the way to Cape Jervis - some 90 minute drive. It is a rather scenic route in areas, as you follow the coast all the way. Drive onto the ferry for the 45 minute ride to KI. Ferry needs to be pre-booked and is pricey. If you are lucky, you should see plenty of dolphins that will surf the bow wake of the ferry. Ferry drops you off at Penneshaw, and from there is a 45 minute drive to Kingscote - main town in KI. Unfortunately, the sights are all south part of island (Wildlife Parks, Seal Bay, Remarkable Rocks, Admiral's Arch) in the Flinders Chase National Park. You need to pay for Park entry. The park is a good 90 minute drive along the main southern ring road. Best time to see these are late afternoon and sunset at these sights are just... remarkable! Drive back is a bit hazardous - no street lights and plenty of kangaroos and wildlife that will love to wander on the road. Take your time getting back. In summer, sunset is not till 8pm, and is still light by 9pm. Currently, there's a bush fire that has burnt out half the park and is still going on. Started 9 days ago, and as a result the park is closed until the fire is contained. Some 100,000 hectares has been burnt out! Should clear up soon, we hope!

Adelaide Hills has a few small towns in it, forms the eastern past of the city.
1) Northeast, taking Main North East Road you head for Gumeracha and Birdwood. At Gumeracha, you have a wooden toy factory - and home of the World's Largest Wooden Horse. You can climb it and get a certificate. Birdwood is the home of the National Car Museum - and have a range of antique cars.
2) Southeast - taking Glen Osmond Road and then Mount Barker Highway, you can get to Hahndorf - a small German Town with lots of crafts and shops for looking or shopping. Follow the sign for Hahndorf turnoff. Miss the turn off, you can drive all the way to Melbourne and arrive 8 hours later!
3) East - Taking Greenhill Road, which branch off Glen Osmond Road, you'll end up at Cleland Wildlife Park. Lots of Kangaroos and Koalas to cuddle and feed. An alternate one is the Gorge Wildlife Park. Drive from city, along North Terrace, then follow the road as it becomes Payneham Road and then Lower North East Road. Branch off at Gorge Road, and drive along the small creek that we call River Torrens (main River that flows past Adelaide). This Gorge Road is one of the top ten best drives in Australia. Windy and scenic, as well as sections of fast curves. A real motor enthusiast's road.

December is also cherry season. Lots of cherries and apples available from farms in the Adelaide Hills, or from Central Market in the City Centre. Chinatown is located next to Central Market. Bordered between Grote and Gouger Street.

Any more help, just sing out.
Last edited by rling on Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.