Hong Kong & Macau Map

Discussions on Garmin maps by other parties, commercial or otherwise.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
sean
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:57 am
GPS: Nokia Symbian +10X, nuvi 610
Contact:

Hong Kong & Macau Map

#1 Post by sean » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi to all the guru & sifu here, where can i get the Hong Kong map ? Can anyone help me pls...

Thanks in advance.

jumbocrap
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:56 pm
GPS: Nuvi 270
eMap
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Where to get Hong Kong map ?

#2 Post by jumbocrap » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:00 pm


User avatar
sean
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:57 am
GPS: Nokia Symbian +10X, nuvi 610
Contact:

Re: Where to get Hong Kong map ?

#3 Post by sean » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:35 pm

jumbocrap wrote:You may wish to refer to this:
http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... ngapore%3F
Already try, no street name. I only can see alot ????????????. :-k

jumbocrap
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:56 pm
GPS: Nuvi 270
eMap
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Where to get Hong Kong map ?

#4 Post by jumbocrap » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:19 pm

I have not tried it myself, so I'm guessing here - could it be that it is trying to display Chinese characters? Maybe your GPS platform needs to be able to display Chinese characters? I'm not sure, but just offering some suggestions.

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: 60CSx, 10X, Nuvi3597LMT, Kenwood DNX9170S
Location: SG
Contact:

Re: Where to get Hong Kong map ?

#5 Post by trajet2b » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:44 pm

sean wrote:
jumbocrap wrote:You may wish to refer to this:
http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... ngapore%3F
Already try, no street name. I only can see alot ????????????. :-k
I can see you are using GMXT symbian platform, you need to convert the coding page in order for you to display properly in your GMXT. But without the .mp file it can be a bit difficult.

Those maps are made for the majority of the older garmin gpsr system. The GMXT windows mobile version can still support them but not the GMXT symbian ones. You can try to write to Garmin to ask for support to the older type maps provided by 3rd party mappers such as msm.

Here is my uneducated guess, since the smart phones have little internal memory and to preserve memory management, the GMXT application are built with very tight or strict constraints that certain non critical functions are left out.

User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4925
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: Where to get Hong Kong map ?

#6 Post by SilverBeauty » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:23 pm

Can get maps from Hong Kong GPS forum http://hkom.hkfrd.com/forum/

User avatar
sean
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:57 am
GPS: Nokia Symbian +10X, nuvi 610
Contact:

Re: Where to get Hong Kong map ?

#7 Post by sean » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:38 am

trajet2b wrote:
sean wrote: Already try, no street name. I only can see alot ????????????. :-k
I can see you are using GMXT symbian platform, you need to convert the coding page in order for you to display properly in your GMXT. But without the .mp file it can be a bit difficult.

Those maps are made for the majority of the older garmin gpsr system. The GMXT windows mobile version can still support them but not the GMXT symbian ones. You can try to write to Garmin to ask for support to the older type maps provided by 3rd party mappers such as msm.

Here is my uneducated guess, since the smart phones have little internal memory and to preserve memory management, the GMXT application are built with very tight or strict constraints that certain non critical functions are left out.
:tq: Bro trajet2b, i try with my nuvi 200. Same thing leh :cry:

User avatar
sean
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:57 am
GPS: Nokia Symbian +10X, nuvi 610
Contact:

Re: Where to get Hong Kong map ?

#8 Post by sean » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:39 am

SilverBeauty wrote:Can get maps from Hong Kong GPS forum http://hkom.hkfrd.com/forum/
This one try olready, same also :cry:

divemuster
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:33 am
GPS: Garmin 60CSx w Gilsson Ext Antenna, PalmTx GMXT (10x)
Contact:

Re: Where to get Hong Kong map ?

#9 Post by divemuster » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:30 am

sean wrote:Hi to all the guru & sifu here, where can i get the Hong Kong map ? Can anyone help me pls...

Thanks in advance.
So far all the free maps of Hong Kong not up to mark yet but if you are willing to pay a bit, here's where you can get a pretty good one. Not routable though:

http://gpstravelmaps.com/hongkong.html

Hope this helps.

miketlwong
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:43 pm
GPS: Garmin Que, Garmin mobileXT, Mapking and Googlemaps on TYTN II & iPAQ 6515
Location: Penang
Contact:

Re: Where to get Hong Kong map ?

#10 Post by miketlwong » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:45 pm

I just came back from Hong Kong 3 weeks ago. I find that mapking map is pretty accurate. However, due to dense population and high rise building in Hong Kong, GPS is quite hard to lock. Anyway, local transport such as Taxi and MTR are quite convenient.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests