Best way to mount external antenna??

Discuss about external antenna, batteries, mount and other GPS accessories

Moderator: Moderators

darthobiguan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 610, E71 + GPS10x + Symbian GMXT + NRoute + Nokia Suports Tracker + GMPC

Best way to mount external antenna??

#1 Post by darthobiguan » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi guys,

I have obtained an external antenna for my Nuvi 610. Just wondering, for anyone with an external antenna... need some tips from you guys... It comes with magnet but the only think I can magnet it to is the external body of my car. Dont see anything metal enuf on the dashboard. I doubt will mount it externally as I might need to drill a hole and not sure if the antenna is water proof. Thanks.

fuhsiang
GPS: M600i / GPS10X

Re: Best way to mount external antenna??

#2 Post by fuhsiang » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:55 pm

I put my external antenna on the car body exterior. Specifically, the area of the bonnet nearest the driver's door.

I then routed the MCX cable into the rubber seal at the top of the bonnet, through the gap between the car body and the door, and then finally reaching the dashboard.

The antenna I bought is waterproof. It has gone through rain and shine without any issues. :)

nitr0xxx
GPS: Nuvi 300

#3 Post by nitr0xxx » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:01 pm

darthobiguan wrote:Hi guys,

I have obtained an external antenna for my Nuvi 610. Just wondering, for anyone with an external antenna... need some tips from you guys... It comes with magnet but the only think I can magnet it to is the external body of my car. Dont see anything metal enuf on the dashboard. I doubt will mount it externally as I might need to drill a hole and not sure if the antenna is water proof. Thanks.
Bro,

Antenna is waterproof. What I did is I route my external antenna from the bottom right of the windscreen from the driver's view into the bonnet and out from the car fender near the door hinge and then to the dashboard. No water leak as compare to mounting it on the roof and through the door top rubber seal. Use 3M type of double side tape to secure your antenna to wind screen.

darthobiguan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 610, E71 + GPS10x + Symbian GMXT + NRoute + Nokia Suports Tracker + GMPC

#4 Post by darthobiguan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:38 pm

Hi Fuhsiang and Nitro,

Thanks for you input. Asked from the antenna supplier that it is water proof.... The GPS accuracy I can get is up to 2meters but that is rare. I might get better accuracy once it is place externally. Thanks
nitr0xxx wrote:
darthobiguan wrote:Hi guys,

Bro,

Antenna is waterproof. What I did is I route my external antenna from the bottom right of the windscreen from the driver's view into the bonnet and out from the car fender near the door hinge and then to the dashboard. No water leak as compare to mounting it on the roof and through the door top rubber seal. Use 3M type of double side tape to secure your antenna to wind screen.

nitr0xxx

#5 Post by nitr0xxx » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:13 pm

darthobiguan wrote:Hi Fuhsiang and Nitro,

Thanks for you input. Asked from the antenna supplier that it is water proof.... The GPS accuracy I can get is up to 2meters but that is rare. I might get better accuracy once it is place externally. Thanks
nitr0xxx wrote: Bro,

I'm getting 2m accuracy with the antenna placed outside. Needed the external antenna because my Window Film blocking the signal.

tyongchi
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 660
Vista HCx

#6 Post by tyongchi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:59 pm

Does the 3M solar film block the GPS signal?

nitr0xxx

#7 Post by nitr0xxx » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:19 pm

tyongchi wrote:Does the 3M solar film block the GPS signal?

Well it depends. If it does have a metallic element in the film, chances are yes.

richnet
Regular
Regular
GPS: ASUS P535

#8 Post by richnet » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:06 am

sorry guys...
abit off-topic, but where can we get these external antennas?
my signal in car is not that strong as well. I've got a full car tinted as well.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#9 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:22 am

richnet wrote:sorry guys...
my signal in car is not that strong as well. I've got a full car tinted as well.
Try PW at SLS, Allbright at Textile Centre, SLT has a couple of ships .....

AxeLa
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: Omnia HD + GMXT with 10x / Agis NavFone /Nuvi 765 /nRoute with 10X / Di~GPS on D700!

#10 Post by AxeLa » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:29 am

richnet wrote:sorry guys...
Garmin originals $45/= \:D/
Omnia HD with GMXT & Garmin 10X / Agis NavFone /
Nuvi 765