Nokia E65

Moderator: Moderators

thetnee
GPS: Garmin X10 with Nokia e65

Nokia E65

#1 Post by thetnee » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:57 am

Hi everyone!

Newbie here really eager to contribute so please pardon my newbie-ness! Really appreciate any input!

I'm using a Nokia E65 with Garmin Mobile XT 4.10.60.

Fixed the Abbreviated results problem by using an older GMAPSUPP.img file I had.

Currently as I have not contributed, am still using the June 21, 2007 version on my phone :oops:

Have browsed through the WIKIs, and Newbie's Pit Stop thoroughly, but am still unclear on saving POIs. (There are instructions for Tracks so that's fine!)

Here are my questions:

1) How do I save POIs using GMXT? Do I just save them under My Locations, then take down the GPS Coordinates?

2) How do I export the screenshot like other people do when saving POIs?

3) I understand I can doublecheck my contribution against the latest March 9, 2008 map in Mapsource, so does this mean, I can open the Locked map in Mapsource?

4) To make things simple, is there a detailed guide SPECIFICALLY for saving POIs for Symbian S60 phones?

5) Other than Mapsource and GMXT, do I need any other programs? Btw, I downloaded MapSource_6137.exe, hope that's the latest version?

This is my first forum post, I really wanna thank Malsingmaps for an excellent map and I hope to be able to contribute to my max in the near future!

**BONUS QUESTION**
6) Haha :P I see that the Mapking maps under Downloads are not locked, does that mean if I have Mapking software I can view the latest maps? Why is this so ah?

Rgds
Phil

jans_wkh
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: n95+gmxt, vista hcx

Re: GMXT with Nokia e65 help?

#2 Post by jans_wkh » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:54 pm

hi thetnee, first of all, wellcome to msm. let me try to answer your questions as much as possible :mrgreen: .
thetnee wrote:Hi everyone!

Newbie here really eager to contribute so please pardon my newbie-ness! Really appreciate any input!

I'm using a Nokia E65 with Garmin Mobile XT 4.10.60.

Fixed the Abbreviated results problem by using an older GMAPSUPP.img file I had.

Currently as I have not contributed, am still using the June 21, 2007 version on my phone :oops:

Have browsed through the WIKIs, and Newbie's Pit Stop thoroughly, but am still unclear on saving POIs. (There are instructions for Tracks so that's fine!)

Here are my questions:

1) How do I save POIs using GMXT? Do I just save them under My Locations, then take down the GPS Coordinates?
in map view, press any directional key and saved the existing location as poi in the my location and it will be saved together with the coordinates. later go to Tools, Manage my data, Manage, Export gpx. finally download with mapsource in your pc

can't help you with that because i don't know.

3) I understand I can doublecheck my contribution against the latest March 9, 2008 map in Mapsource, so does this mean, I can open the Locked map in Mapsource?
the latest march 9 map can only be viewed in mapsource and this is for you to check if you are reporting existing poi or tracks

4) To make things simple, is there a detailed guide SPECIFICALLY for saving POIs for Symbian S60 phones?
please refer to answer 1

5) Other than Mapsource and GMXT, do I need any other programs? Btw, I downloaded MapSource_6137.exe, hope that's the latest version?
this will do.

This is my first forum post, I really wanna thank Malsingmaps for an excellent map and I hope to be able to contribute to my max in the near future!

**BONUS QUESTION**
6) Haha :P I see that the Mapking maps under Downloads are not locked, does that mean if I have Mapking software I can view the latest maps? Why is this so ah?
let the pioneer answer this.

Rgds
Phil

darthobiguan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 610, E71 + GPS10x + Symbian GMXT + NRoute + Nokia Suports Tracker + GMPC

#3 Post by darthobiguan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:18 pm

Mapsource do not have the function to export the screenshot. You would need to rely on Windows print screen function to capture your screen output. Then use a picture editing software (eg. Windows Paint) and then do a paste function. Edit and trim the picture if needed. Then save it. I would recommend to save it to a PNG file format rather than JPG as it is much smaller.

thetnee
GPS: Garmin X10 with Nokia e65

#4 Post by thetnee » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:28 pm

darthobiguan wrote:

Mapsource do not have the function to export the screenshot. You would need to rely on Windows print screen function to capture your screen output. Then use a picture editing software (eg. Windows Paint) and then do a paste function. Edit and trim the picture if needed. Then save it. I would recommend to save it to a PNG file format rather than JPG as it is much smaller.

=P~ WOW the people in this forum are REALLY helpful and detailed. Great community spirit going here guys :thumbsup:

Alright then. What points do I need to take note of when marking the maps?

jans_wkh
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#5 Post by jans_wkh » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

darthobiguan wrote:

hi darthobiguan, ooohh, I thought thetnee meant screenshot from his mobile! #-o i have seen them submitting screenshot directly from the mobile, but never bother to learn how to do it. i understand there is some free programs out there where you can grab your mobile screen and turn it into picture file format.

jans_wkh
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#6 Post by jans_wkh » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:06 pm

thetnee wrote:
=P~ WOW the people in this forum are REALLY helpful and detailed. Great community spirit going here guys :thumbsup:

Alright then. What points do I need to take note of when marking the maps?
you might want to do some reading on the pointers here, viewtopic.php?p=61877#p61877 and ask again when you are not clear, or go here, viewforum.php?f=24, to actually see how they submit. hope this helps.

sfadillah
GPS: Nokia E65

#7 Post by sfadillah » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:40 pm

Hi thetnee,

I also using Nokia E65, but my problem is.. I can't connect to my GPS receiver. I use QSTARZ. I paired successfull from the Nokia bluetooth. But when I open Garmin why the device can not be found? What about you? Your device can working?

jchoong
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: 2575 + 40LM

#8 Post by jchoong » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:02 pm

To do a screenshot, you need to instal a screenshot application into your mobile phone. There are several programs available for S60 Symbian that are free for download. Do a Google search and pick the one that best suits your needs.

badrol
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin Nuvi200

#9 Post by badrol » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:16 pm

sfadillah wrote:Hi thetnee,

I also using Nokia E65, but my problem is.. I can't connect to my GPS receiver. I use QSTARZ. I paired successfull from the Nokia bluetooth. But when I open Garmin why the device can not be found? What about you? Your device can working?
If you are using the free gmxt from garmin website, you can only use it with garmin gps receiver only. To use 3rd party receiver, you need to buy GMXT SD card version.

jans_wkh
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#10 Post by jans_wkh » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:56 pm

jchoong wrote:To do a screenshot, you need to instal a screenshot application into your mobile phone. There are several programs available for S60 Symbian that are free for download. Do a Google search and pick the one that best suits your needs.
Thanks jchoong, I have installed Best ScreenSnap 1.0 freeware for s60v3. Works great. That's how I got my avatar. :mrgreen: