Adding point, polyline & polygon objects
With GPSMapEdit, you are able to create 3 types of map objects; points (for POIs and Cities), polylines (for roads, rivers, etc) and polygons (shaded areas).
Attaching data source files
Before creating your map objects, you may wish to attach your waypoint or tracklog files into your map as reference. Refer to the guide on how to collect and organise waypoint or tracklog files is here.
- Click on the Add icon (first icon) or click the File Menu and select Add.
- Select you waypoint or tracklog file.
- Click Open or press <Enter>
You will see the waypoints and tracklogs displayed in GPSMapedit as illustrated.
Please note that when you attach a file, GPSMapedit does not update the waypoints and tracks into your map automatically. You still have to convert those waypoints and tracks into points and polylines manually.
- Select the Select Object tool
- Right-click one of your waypoint
- Select Convert then Point
- At the Select Levels dialog, just click <OK>
- At the Select Type dialog, choose the appropriate type for your POI. In this case, it is Convenience Store. Click <OK>.
- You are done and have successfully created your first point or POI object. Repeat the process for your other waypoints.
- You can edit your POI by double-clicking on it. You can also move it around by dragging it using the Select Object tool.
- Click the dropdown button left of the Create Object Button. Select Polyline.
- Draw lines by clicking on the first point and continue until you have finished your line. Right-click and select End or Press <Enter> to finish drawing.
- At the Select Type dialog, choose the appropriate type for your polyline.
- Name your polyline
- Continue with other roads
- Click the dropdown button left of the Create Object Button. Select Polygon.
- Draw polygon by clicking on the first point and continue until you have finished your polygon. Right-click and select End or Press <Enter> to finish drawing.
- At the Select Type dialog, choose the appropriate type for your polygon.
- Name your polygon
Editing Polylines & Polygons
- Click on the Edit Nodes button to select the tool
- Left-click a polyline or polygon to select it for editing
- You can move any nodes (points) by left-clicking the point and draggging it hence changing the shape of the polyline or polygon
- Right-click on a point along the polyline or polygon and select Insert Node Here to add another point to the object
Using the right point, polyline & polygon type
For advice on the appropriate object type to use, refer to our POI and Road object Reference.